The MT-07 Forum

it's early but cold weather pants

fastfredyb

I know it's early but this year I'm planning ahead. I commute 55 miles in the morning at about 36-40 is the coldest it gets. The wind chill sucks!!.  So last year was my first year doing it and it was bad.  I want to buy some cold weather pants? I was thinking of buying these below when they go on sale.  I've seen them at $125 but was hoping for some input from other riders experience.  Recommendations?

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Vortex-Waterproof-Textile-Motorcycle-Pants

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Save your money and get some Aerostich Gear. Their quality is top notch and much of their gear is reparable if you get in a crash. I currently am trying to save up and get one of their 1 piece suits. They are easy to get on and off, waterproof, and wearable in any weather.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

I have 2 options. My normal riding jeans with woolen thermals and bohn armor pants, which is spandex with armor pockets. Quite warm with all the layers.

Other option, same armor pants, maybe the same thermals, but with my leather pants. They were like $100 from some random online dealer, and they're quite nice overall.

The Jean combo is good down to About 45 for me, the leather ... well, 30 degrees is about the coldest it tends to get around here and I'm comfortable.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Also, heavy socks like wool hiking socks help a lot. Some days I double up and put normal socks under em.

Everything went braap.

• 3 weeks later...
graphitegraves

I have the bilt pants you have linked and I love them, it's about 40°F on my morning commute all highway 60 miles @ 75mph no problems im actually sweating when I get to work lol now just need to get hand gaurds and heated grips, then should be good to go almost all winter

fooschnickens

I had a pair of the tourmaster overpants, but after getting them out from storage I noticed they had been stained by something. Turns out that stain was actually a chemical reaction to an old air mattress that sat next to them in the closet. Poked at the fabric a bit and it started to smear. Oops.

I ended up buy a pair of their new Venture Air 2.0 pants. I like that they have a dedicated thermal and waterproof liner. One of my complaints about the older overpants was that they didn't stop the water all that well. They tried to make them do too many things at one time and trying to be an all-rounder type product made some areas suffer.

At least I'll have two sets of knee armor in case I manage to lose them somehow? I might try and take the old pants to an alteration place to see if they can repair the panel. Shouldn't be hard to source a heavy denier fabric like they use that's also waterproof.

Archived