The MT-07 Forum

2WDW and O2 sensor?

zbroussard

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I imagine that 2WDW doesn't need the O2 sensor removed as it is not at the mercy of running in closed loop mode until a set AFR is achieved.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Well can't speak for everyone, but my was running good with it connected, but even better with it disconnected. Nels said its for EPA emissions to lean
It out on closed loop section, not sure why it runs better with it disconnected, but could be so many variables. I'd say just try it both ways.

Honda Grom
CB 350

2wheeldynoworks

There are too many variables with air pressure and performance modifications to make a 100% standard decision. The O2 sensor has a target AF of 14.7. 14.7 in some environments and with certain modifications can be too lean and create a negative riding issue. Sometimes 14.7 works out great. We are flashing these bikes all over the world every day.

The bikes factory barometric pressure sensor does a great job of accommodating for the air pressure changes but it can not trim 100% perfect. The bike will respond differently to different air fuel ratios at different air pressures. We do our very best to hit our targets, which are set in the very middle. This way, when air pressure changes, the factory system can adjust and keep us within specification. Sometimes in extreme conditions, the 02 sensor can help or hurt the ride ability of the bike Its going to be up to the rider to test.

The O2 sensor turns off once you reach a specific load point. So, any aggressive throttle and the bike will be running in open loop.

Ride the bike with the sensor plugged in for 2 tanks of gas and compare to 2 tanks of gas unplugged in. You will typically find that the lower the air density, the greater chance of running the O2 sensor. If it seems like the bike is a little rich and mileage has dropped, plug the sensor in. If the bike is a little jerky on/off throttle, unplug the sensor. We have found that 99% of the time you will leave the sensor plugged in. We develop the tune files to work with the O2 sensors plugged in. This will keep a very efficient and smooth running bike.

Thanks, I was wondering exactly how it worked and wanted to be sure that unplugging the sensor couldn't inadvertently do some damage by allowing it to lean out too much.

I do my own ECU tuning on my WRX and I guess the bike is basically the same - I assume it transitions to closed loop only at *very* low loads?  And I assume that in the absence of an O2 signal it defaults to something 'safely' rich when in closed loop?

Your flash definitely made a huge difference on the open/closed throttle transition, but it was still herky-jerky at very light throttle.  I went ahead and unplugged the sensor and it did smooth it out even more.  The road to my house it steep, tight, and covered in gravel so the best way to ride it is in a low gear with some decent revs, but the throttle is just barely open and it would jerk and spit.

Now I'm thinking about splicing a switch into the wire so I can turn it on most of the time and turn it off on the road to my house.  Also because I'm a spaz and can't leave anything alone. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I was still getting a surge under some conditions even after the flash. I unplugged the O2 sensor and haven't noticed it. Still checking to see if fuel mileage went down.

• 2 weeks later...

Plugged my O2 sensor back in because I went from 150 miles or so until reserve to 115 or so. Now the 3500-4000 RPM surge is back. More noticeable when the humidity is high. Not sure what bothers me more poor fuel range or the surge?

• 3 weeks later...
2wheeldynoworks
Plugged my O2 sensor back in because I went from 150 miles or so until reserve to 115 or so. Now the 3500-4000 RPM surge is back. More noticeable when the humidity is high. Not sure what bothers me more poor fuel range or the surge?
you specifically have something else going on with your bike. as i've said before, shoot us an email, we'll see if we can troubleshoot it and find out whats going on with it

Archived