The MT-07 Forum

Gas tank side badge removal???

avanti

• Premium Member

How are the side badges attached, please?  Must the side covers be removed to remove the badges or can it be done with the covers (and badges) on the bike?

Thanks, in advance.  (oh yeah, I wish to install a pair of these emblems below)

Probably the same generic way most auto badging is adhered, automotive double stick tape. That's just a guess, don't go quoting me on that.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

Thanks, duenan. Those are the simple ones... a little dental floss doubled over a few times and off they come.

Unfortunately, I've found sometimes there is a pin or two into the bodywork, as well. For example, two otherwise identical emblems on my Vette, the back one simply stuck on and the other stuck on and with a couple pins through the front facia.

So, I may try the floss in a few days when I have the time, find out, and report back.

I've removed the side covers quite a few times, and even just the black vent plastics where the yamaha logo is, there is nothing on the backside that would say the badge is retainer clipped in (well, retainer clip + tape). So it has to either be the tape or glue, but everything else on the bike uses double stick tape (all the foams on the inside, the round cap on the leg guards, so its probably nothing more than double side taped on.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

Flossed them off tonight. Silly complex, four-piece thingees if one counts two layers of adhesive per badge... outer dished emblem stuck to an inner, flat-bottomed piece. Nothing to remove. Now I've got to decide on which emblem to replace them with...

• Premium Member

I've four sizes of Avanti "badges" but the largest I'd intended to use proved to be a trifle too big and the next size was too small.  So, I decided to use the smaller anyway and make a pair of polished aluminum "bezels" to put them on.  If I had access to a friend's mill I'd have done proper bezels, but these will do for now, I suppose.  Here is a picture of one completed and the other in progress.  After the goo sets and I can roll the fz out for a proper pic, I'll post that, too.   Cheers!

• Premium Member

It stopped pouring down rain (after a record setting four month drought) long enough to roll the 07 outside and shoot a pic.  The new "badges" are on but I'm not that pleased with them.  The "bezel" is wider than I would have liked because of using the smaller Avanti emblems.  But, I'll leave them for now until I find a better sized emblem I like to replace these. 

... or, I may end up using these unobtanium Excalibur emblems I squirreled away years ago since '66 roadsters, like mine, never used them...  Here they are temporarily stuck in place.

Archived