The MT-07 Forum

Car almost kissed me

jetgirl

Beemer nearly shook hands, I was almost kissed! After what happened today I think I'll get a gopro or something. First off, the bike and I are okay but we almost weren't. Scary moment. I was on a 2 lane road doing the speed limit at 55. A car was on the side of the road and pulled out when I was about 400 ft away. I wish he'd waited till I passed but no big deal. He didn't exactly cut me off and he'd probably be up to speed or close by the time I got there. Well he wasn't and it was a passing zone so I went around him. But... as I was doing so he turned left. I was even with the back door and considering my speed  and his slow speed, I wouldn't have been able to slow down enough so I swung way over to the left and gave it more gas and he just missed me. I don't think he did it on purpose but man when you slow down or turn you've got to look behind you. Someone might be passing you or someone not paying attention might rear end you. It shook me up a little but I still took a 4 hour ride. I love riding so much that the added risk is worth it.

• Premium Member

Glad you're ok! I hate it when I have to pass a car that's pulled over onto the shoulder.

• Premium Member

You should get the Sena 10C. It will record everything you're looking at and has good audio and video. I love mine.

Here is my sample video when I was riding through hollywood. Ignore the date stamp. I didn't set it. This was this year.

That sucks jetgirl. Dam cagers.

One almost got me last summer in a similar situation. Caught up to him as he was slowing, thought he was slowing to make a left, he moved right like he was leaving the road with no blinkers, then he took a hard left cutting me off as I was about to go around him. Good test of brakes!

• Premium Member

I'm glad you made it through without contact. Its amazing how many people never look before they hit the gas.

I had a close call three weeks ago with a left turner.

The lights turned amber as I was entering the intersection and the cager jumped to turn left. I didn't even have time for the horn, I swerved, counter swerved, and threaded the line between the back of a city bus and the left turner.

Was shaking a bit as I throttled away.

I'm glad you're alright. That would've been something to see on video and I highly recommend to anyone to get a video recorder just for insurance reasons alone. 400 feet is a lot of distance between two vehicles. Plenty of time for him to get up to speed as to not cause a rear end collision and also plenty of time to slow to his speed so you don't rear end. You reacted well to his left hand turn (that's how I often have to react to side swiper's) so kudos to you for that, good job! Be safe!

Beemer

It really would have been something to see on video. That was one of my first thoughts. I can explain it but to actually see it. My God, it was so close to an unfortunate ending. The bike is going into storage in 2 weeks so I've got time to figure out what recorder I want for Christmas.

pineappleunderthesea

This is why every car out there should have blind spot sensors or something that rings if it senses the car is departing from its lane and there's an object there. Lots of people don't look back, and in many cases older people can't really turn their necks very well so they don't bother as well.

I've thought of getting a camera, but for it to be admissible in court it likely needs a date, time, and GPS stamp. Even then, witnesses tend to be the first line of "truth" over the video. So I'd make sure you get a camera that can "stamp" as much as possible on the video, otherwise it might not be admissible (the reasons why dash cam videos are rules inadmissible are sometimes mind blowing...)

• Premium Member

Glad you're all right @jetgirl.

Really? A time/date/GPS stamp? I mean, if you catch those involved on video, I don't see how that could be dismissed.
If that's the case, the GoPro Hero that I'm currently using is of no use. It doesn't have a stamp setting, though it has the date and time in the settings.

I have two Drifts - The Ghost-S and the Stealth 2, so I'll look into that and see if those options are available.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Ok, the internets say both Drifts have the time stamp option.

Hope that helps with your decision!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

This is why every car out there should have blind spot sensors or something that rings if it senses the car is departing from its lane and there's an object there. Lots of people don't look back, and in many cases older people can't really turn their necks very well so they don't bother as well. 
I've thought of getting a camera, but for it to be admissible in court it likely needs a date, time, and GPS stamp. Even then, witnesses tend to be the first line of "truth" over the video. So I'd make sure you get a camera that can "stamp" as much as possible on the video, otherwise it might not be admissible (the reasons why dash cam videos are rules inadmissible are sometimes mind blowing...)
Not all video needs a date/time stamp to be admissible in court. It depends on the offense. Crimes like Residential break-ins, retail shoplifting and credit card theft would require a stamp. A person in their car with license plates doing the deed is damning enough evidence in traffic violations and date/time stamps aren't required.  

Beemer

Not all video needs a date/time stamp to be admissible in court. It depends on the offense. Crimes like Residential break-ins, retail shoplifting and credit card theft would require a stamp and most likely a clock or something else in the video to validate the time stamp in the video. A person in their car with license plates doing the deed is damning enough evidence in traffic violations and date/time stamps aren't required. 

Beemer

Archived