The MT-07 Forum

Airbox snorkel

scordiaboy515

No bud. Snorkel is the 90 degree piece. Baffle I am calling to the lip on the other side.

I saw some videos where they took out the lip that fit inside the box.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what's the verdict for stock bikes. 
Keep the snorkel on and remove the baffle, the plastic piece on the other side.

I would like to try this.
Snorkel and baffle are the same thing (unless you're referring to the baffle from an aftermarket exhaust). The only part you should be taking out of your stock airbox would be the rubber snorkel. You can take it out and put it back in with no tools. You'll get a lot more intake noise with it out, power gains will be negligible. 
Depends upon what you mean as negligible. There is another thread where a rider shows a dyno run with and without the snorkel - so we have proof as to the effects of removing it. It's good for about a 2 HP through gain through the midrange and some up top too. Take a look (credit to pgeldz) and note the dark blue and royal blue curves - these are stock and stock but snorkel removed . . .
ZiKu4eEh.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
Snorkel and baffle are the same thing (unless you're referring to the baffle from an aftermarket exhaust). The only part you should be taking out of your stock airbox would be the rubber snorkel. You can take it out and put it back in with no tools. You'll get a lot more intake noise with it out, power gains will be negligible. 
Depends upon what you mean as negligible. There is another thread where a rider shows a dyno run with and without the snorkel - so we have proof as to the effects of removing it. It's good for about a 2 HP through gain through the midrange and some up top too. Take a look (credit to pgeldz) and note the dark blue and royal blue curves - these are stock and stock but snorkel removed . . .
ZiKu4eEh.jpg

Negligible to the butt dyno. You don't feel the difference, you'll certainly hear it though.  
Looks like the two lines you pointed out criss cross a few times up top - to max power the gains are very minimal if not negative. Mid-range is decent though.  

I didn't get anything like that difference with and without the snorkel. Almost impossible to see when we did it. In the interests of accuracy I should point out that my bike is the Aussie LAMS bike which is 656cc ( not 68x) and only 11.0:1 ( not 11.5), though I suspect that wouldn't make the difference shown between the two. Didn't print the no snorkel graph only run.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived