The MT-07 Forum

Riding with a helmet cam

Guest MXRider

Guest MXRider

How many here ride with a helmet cam? It's something that I've been seeing more and more lately and it seems like a good idea, and not just to share your crash with the world. I've noticed plenty of guys commuting with a GoPro strapped to their heads. There have been many cases where the camera has proven to help out with police investigations and court. I've even been thinking of adding a dash cam to my 4Runner for the same reasons.

Oh, and I love watching the crazy Russian dash cam videos. :D

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

We have a GoPro but we mount it on the bars. We tried it on the helmet and felt there was too much movement, looking right to left and it made us dizzy watching it later. It's nice to relive the ride afterwards and sometimes see things you didn't notice the first time through.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator

I see them too here. My helmet does not allow mounting a helmet cam but I don't think I would mount one if I could. I think it looks kinda goofy to have a camera on top of your helmet.
I wouldn't mind having one on the bike (or chest) as long as it's small and unnoticeable. Not to share my amazing life with the world but in case of trouble.

I do have a dash cam in my truck. One of those cheap ones but it works great.  It makes 5 minutes recordings until the memory card is full and then starts over. Here's a testvideo of the cam (one of my favourite bike roads nearby).

• Premium Member

I have a go pro I mount on the handlebars.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Guru-Nice drive, i liked the video quality as well, might be perfect to put in my car as my daughter starts learning to drive. can you share make and model of that dash cam.

I see them too here. My helmet does not allow mounting a helmet cam but I don't think I would mount one if I could. I think it looks kinda goofy to have a camera on top of your helmet. I wouldn't mind having one on the bike (or chest) as long as it's small and unnoticeable. Not to share my amazing life with the world but in case of trouble.

I do have a dash cam in my truck. One of those cheap ones but it works great.  It makes 5 minutes recordings until the memory card is full and then starts over. Here's a testvideo of the cam (one of my favourite bike roads nearby).
OK, see how u r driving, and there is snow...um yeah, in Tennessee, we shut everything down if we get snow. LOL, just reminded me, I sent a pic to my sister in Minneapolis of the snow on the ground here one winter, she asked me, "What is that brown stuff on the snow" my reply, "Grass sticking thru it."  
I cannot repeat what she then called me :) :)

• Premium Member

For the people that mount the gopro on your handle bars. How is the shakiness? I seem to notice a little with my phone mounted. I haven't be able to test my RAM gopro mount as most of my stuff is stored for a move I'm going through. People are already distracted enough from my Sena and I like the discreetness of it on the handlebar.

• Premium Member

I find that it works pretty well. You get some vibration on it but it does what it's there to do and act as a dash cam.

got a couple but I mainly use my Sony HDR-AS15 attached to my helmet... it's a lot slimmer in profile than the gopro but I must say, the gopro has better image quality..... just used it this weekend to video my shakedown of the FZ on some nice twisty mtn roads... I'll post some videos.... Cheers...

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

missourifz07

I gotta say...that is the most I have enjoyed classical music in a long while Guru. Must have been the Canadian winter scenery or something.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
For the people that mount the gopro on your handle bars. How is the shakiness? I seem to notice a little with my phone mounted. I haven't be able to test my RAM gopro mount as most of my stuff is stored for a move I'm going through. People are already distracted enough from my Sena and I like the discreetness of it on the handlebar.
If you use the GoPro mounts, there is little to no shaking. The camera is designed to be moving around as it records. We have used other mounts and it shook a lot more so stick with the mounts designed for the GoPro.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
I see them too here. My helmet does not allow mounting a helmet cam but I don't think I would mount one if I could. I think it looks kinda goofy to have a camera on top of your helmet. I wouldn't mind having one on the bike (or chest) as long as it's small and unnoticeable. Not to share my amazing life with the world but in case of trouble.

What kind of cam was that?

• Global Moderator
What kind of cam was that?
A cheap Chinese made DVR207 off eBay.  They are around $60. Lots of fake ones out there. I first bought an even cheaper one but it turned out to be fake.

• Premium Member

I actually just got back from best buy and they have the chest mount for the go pro on sale at $23.99, gotta tell them to match their website though, that's a pretty good deal. Picked one up and i'll see how it is tomorrow.

• Premium Member

Did a short video of the Go Pro using the chest mount. I have to position it higher but it works great. I don't even know it's there and i'm not worried about it falling off etc. It was recorded at 60 fps but encoding dropped the quality.

• Global Moderator

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Quality is good and it looks like you are riding my bike. It almost looked like you were taking an obstacle course.

• Premium Member
It almost looked like you were taking an obstacle course.
Nah, just Orlando, haha.

• 1 year later...

Hey rider! I mounted my new GoPro 4 Silver on the top of my helmet and this is the footage:

It's a bit shaky and the housing makes the sound quality poor. I suggest mounting the GoPro, if you get one, to the front of helmet where the chin guard is or on the bar handles. If you are savvy with video editing, put a anti-shake in there and it'll be fine.

I just picked up a 3+ Silver on eBay a little over a week ago. It's mounted to the front of my helmet so the lens is centered and just under the face shield. I got it mostly in the case anything ever happens and I need video evidence. So far it's just been video clips collected of idiot drivers haha. Better to have and not need, than need and not have though!

• Premium Member

I love my Sena 10C. Having a bluetooth and Video in one was the option i decided to go with.

I love my Sena 10C. Having a bluetooth and Video in one was the option i decided to go with.
Same here, I can take photos, record, listen to the radio, pandora or even take calls...phone rang the other day scared the crap outta me. 
It takes really good pics, and the video is surprisingly sharp as well

Archived