The MT-07 Forum

Starting Engine in 1st - SOLVED!

fechner

Hi all,

Are we supposed to be able to start the bike in 1st gear? I've got the kickstand up and clutch pulled in, why wouldn't the bike start? As soon as I kick it in neutral it fires right up. Oddly, I thought I was able to start it in first when I first got the bike, now it seems like it won't. I am a bit confused... ??? Is there something I'm missing?

Solution: Clutch switch came unplugged, see below handle bar for plug:

6IE9qG0.jpg

Guest unknown

Can you start it in any other gear? Check the clutch switch. It may not have been plugged in from the dealer or it could have come undone at some point.
It's a 2 wire plug under the clutch perch.

• Global Moderator

Mine will only start in neutral too,me ven with the kickstand up. I am going to have the dealer fix it on Tuesday. Both the clutch and kickstand switches look okay.

Guest MXRider

I usually disable both switches anyway. Just twist the 2 wires together and it will start in any gear. Just make sure the kick stand is up before taking off.

Can you start it in any other gear? Check the clutch switch. It may not have been plugged in from the dealer or it could have come undone at some point. It's a 2 wire plug under the clutch perch.
I haven't tried any other gear, I'll test it out when I get home. Will also check on the clutch switch. I'm pretty sure I have started it in first before, so maybe something did come loose. It's not a huge deal, but was concerning at first when I wasn't able to start it. Mostly annoying when I stall in traffic and need a quick getaway to avoid embarrassment!  

• Global Moderator

I just fixed mine. There is a plug right at the base of the clutch lever. Mine had come out. As soon as I plugged it back in it started fine in gear with the kickstand up. Check and make sure that it is seated well. If you are sitting on the bike it is just under the handlebar inboard of the mirror clamp.

PearlWhiteFZ

I know if you are in gear with the kick stand down it will not start. It's a safety feature that my yamaha mechanic told me.

I just fixed mine. There is a plug right at the base of the clutch lever. Mine had come out. As soon as I plugged it back in it started fine in gear with the kickstand up. Check and make sure that it is seated well. If you are sitting on the bike it is just under the handlebar inboard of the mirror clamp.
Good to hear mjh! Looks like you saved a trip to the dealer :) I'll check mine as soon as I get home. 

• Premium Member

I always thought this bike just wouldn't start in gear, haha, just plugged my switch in.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Guest unknown

This sounds like a much more common problem than I thought. Mine was unplugged from the dealer as well. I thought it was supposed to be that way at first but then I realized how dangerous it is to have it stall and click back into neutral. Looked at the manual and sure enough, there was entry about checking the operation of it.

Ha, mine must have wiggled loose while driving! Plugged it back in, problem solved! Thanks everyone, this forum is fantastic.

If it had come unplugged from the dealer, I would have assumed it was supposed to be that way. They must have half-assedly plugged it in and it worked its way out. I knew at one point I was able to start the bike in first!

For future reference, everyone should check their clutch switch located under the handle bar:
6IE9qG0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
rotaryryan24

Mine came unplugged from the dealer.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• 5 weeks later...
Mine came unplugged from the dealer.
I'm just now seeing this thread because I got on here to search about this connector.  I was just doing a couple things on the bike and noticed mine was not plugged in.  I was all like "what the heck is this and why is it not plugged in?" haha.  

It has a little safety clip on it so that it shouldn't come undone.  I would not doubt if mine was never plugged in from the day I received it.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I was saying what are you guys talking about cant start the bike in 1st gear? I can since day one I guess my dealer pluged mine in.

Whoever assembled the bike from the shipping crate either forgot it or completely missed it.
I'm willing to bet it's a larger systemic issue such as not being on the final cut sheet/checklist or something, if they use something like that.  Way too odd for so many dealerships to not be doing it.  

(OK... Time to put away my ISO 9001 auditor hat haha.)

Life is good on 2 wheels!

It's in the FZ-07 Assembly Manual.
I have a copy of it.

Ask some YZF-R6 owners if they got their bike with the right-hand handlebar not properly tightened down.

It's being missed upon assembly.

• 1 month later...
I usually disable both switches anyway. Just twist the 2 wires together and it will start in any gear. Just make sure the kick stand is up before taking off.
Came here to ask about this because I put on an RSC lever and perch. didn't have to look too hard lol the answer was one of the first few comments lol.

• 3 weeks later...
It may start but the timing will be slightly retarded as with the clutch pulled in the ignition timing is retarded by 3 to 5 %.

Guest MXRider

It may start but the timing will be slightly retarded as with the clutch pulled in the ignition timing is retarded by 3 to 5 %.

Do you have a source for where you got that info? There is no mention of it in the service manual and from looking at the wiring diagram the clutch switch runs to the starting circuit cut off relay and the fuel pump relay.

I got it from a yamaha tech at the dealer during a discussion on why some bikes can cut out just as
the revs are picked up to set off, I did wonder to but it also happens on some Suzuki's
Cant find any other info on it for Yamaha but theres plenty for Suzuki and playing about with mine
"it does cut now and then but getting less as miles mount" makes me believe he is right.

Archived