The MT-07 Forum

Starting Engine in 1st - SOLVED!

fechner

Guest MXRider

Yeah I've read some bikes do it. I just couldn't find any info in the service manual regarding that. There is surprisingly little info on the clutch switch in there. Only a simple procedure for testing if it's faulty. And nothing jumped out at me when looking over the wiring diagram that would indicate it ties in with ignition timing.

On mine if you with the bike in neutral fully warmed up just touch
the throttle enough to raise the revs a few hundred every now and
then it as a very slight stumble, it never does it with the clutch
in only release so maybe that is what is going on.
A chap I know races a Caterham in hill climbs it as a Hayabusa engine
but it would not quite reach max revs about 500 rpm low, but being a
car they had not fitted a clutch switch fitting one fixed it.

Mine was delivered too with the clutch starter wire unplugged. Same as the OP.

I suspect that the wire is a little too short and the techs miss pushing it in sufficiently so that the little latch engages, and then it just backs out under tension.

• 2 months later...

In reading through the threads here, there has been a few different connectors that were either not plugged in correctly at factory, or come apart while riding, I hope this is not a case of crappy connectors being used throughout the bike.

Maybe a good idea to go over all connectors on bike to make sure are are securely latched together, I hated getting stranded, out on the road with no tools to remove parts to check connectors.

Just checked mine... it was unplugged! Has to be assembly deficiencies

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

When I got my bike from the dealer that plug wasn't plugged in. The bike kept stalling out and I kept having to shift back to neutral in the middle of rush hour traffic to restart it. I did not enjoy my ride home. haha.

fooschnickens

I checked the clutch and kickstand connections after riding the other day and both were plugged in snugly. Guess I got lucky with mine getting assembled! :S

I'll call her Betty W

I know that this thread was solved but this may help others who are having an issue along the same lines.  The FZ-07 has a circuit cut-off system that does not allow the bike to start while the bike is in gear, clutch lever is pulled, but the side-stand is still down.  Hope this helps anyone who may still have an issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Same deal here. It was unplugged as I got it from the dealer. I thought the FZ-07 just wouldn't start when in gear, but I found this thread and checked the connector, sure enough, unplugged.

Why can't left turners see us?

I had the same issue. It was starting to happen more and more frequently. Unplugged the connector and plugged it back in and it seems to be working fine. This was a pain in the ass when I stalled it in traffic. Frantically trying to find neutral so that I could get going again sucked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I know this was solved but I have a related question. When going to start in first and you have the clutch pulled in, kickstand up, and bike in gear, does the bike lurch forward a little when you fire her up? Mine does and I'm just wondering since I was installing levers and messed with the clutch free play. Just seeing if this is normal or not as I've never started mine this way prior.

Guest Ralph

If you have to much free play in the clutch leaver then it will tend to do this more,
and if you are starting it from cold that to will make it worse as the cold oil will
tend to cause drag, better starting in neutral as it puts less strain on the starter,
I find that once it's running from a cold start pull in the clutch then before you
put it in gear give it a little rev this brakes the plates free and without releasing
the clutch it will then usually go in gear with just a click but it does not work once
it warms up.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived