The MT-07 Forum

Is this a good deal?

rowdy

• Premium Member

A dealer in my area has NEW 2012 Honda VFR 1200 DCT in a very cool looking blue for $11,999.
The list is $17,999.  I know 12K is still a lot of money, and 2012 means it is already a few years old, but it's a zero miles bike, factory warranty, and one of the bikes I've lusted after for a while.  I've been interested in adding a long haul sport tourer to my bike hole, and, if I bought it, it would probably be instead of an FJ-09 or some other touring worthy steed. 
Opinions (and I already know what they are like).   :)

Why can't left turners see us?

Get him to throw in new tyres and a new OEM battery with the deal and you're good to go. Great bike but a LOT bigger and heavier than the FJ-09.

scordiaboy515

One key thing I always consider when looking at a new bike is how hard will it be to sell......not being negative, life changes from day to day....it's definitely a niche bike imho, servicing will be $$$$$....FJ-09 is the clear winner....food for thought 8-)

• Premium Member
    One key thing I always consider when looking at a new bike is how hard will it be to sell......not being negative, life changes from day to day....it's definitely a niche bike imho, servicing will be $$$$$....FJ-09 is the clear winner....food for thought 8-)
I'm not sure I would consider the FJ-09 the "clear winner".  It has been in production 1 year.  I don't think it would have the highway handling of the VFR.  Lower power, lower weight, less aerodynamic.  The VFR has ABS, traction control, dual slipper clutch. Don't get me wrong, the FJ-09 is a sweet bike, and I still am considering it, but the VFR is really in a whole different league.

is he asking 12 (on the sticker/tag?) or quoted you 12 when expressing interest?

Looks like it was the only year imported? The NADA winter 2015 guide (the little black book the sales guy has in his desk) has it listed as $12,100 used. The non-DCT is a grand less. That is has zero miles doesn't help the resale value - ie. if you were to try to flip it next week, any savvy buyer won't give you more than a couple hundred in consideration of less than 1000 miles on the ODO.

I'd low-ball him at 11K + tax and title and not one damn fee and maybe let him talk me up to 11.5. Go in armed with cash/check (wave it in his face) or an approved loan for 11k. If he's had it this long he's way into his profit margin on floor costs and financing to Honda (dealer cost * 3% loan for 3 years). He should jump at any reasonable chance to offload the albatross. Kinda surprised he hasn't gotten rid of it by selling to another dealer with better foot traffic and customer base.

PA doesn't have annual inventory taxes, but if the dealer is over the border then he's about to get hit for another few hundred if it stays on his books past 12/31.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Pattonme - Thanks for the input. This is a new, zero miles bike in the local classifieds (DCT version), so I would definitely do some negotiating with him. I emailed him a couple of questions, so we'll see what the response is. This time of year ought to give me a little leverage too. Now I just need to decide whether I really need an extra bike for touring / long highway miles duty. :)

I found this on KBB:

"Your Motorcycle Value

Value Another Motorcycle

2012 Honda VFR1200FD VFR1200F ABS DCT

Trade-In Value Suggested Retail Value

Excellent Condition $9,830

when purchasing from a dealer"

That's also with close to 17K miles on it as an average for a bike that size and age. Obviously, they want to make $$$ off of it so it doesn't seem too awfully bad to me but I would still try to get it for around 11,000. I hope that helps you. GL!

Beemer

It's only a good deal if that is the lowest price you can find. Earlier this spring, my friend bought a new 2012 out of state in North Dakota for under $10k OTD and paid taxes at home.

Archived