The MT-07 Forum

LED signals staying on WITH custom relay installed

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

Hello all,

I just replaced the stock turn signals with all LED signals. As expected, with the stock relay, they blink pretty fast. Great.

So I bought the ELFR-1 relay to go with it: http://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay

With the custom ELFR-1 relay installed, the lights just stay on indefinitely. There is no flashing at all.
Anyone else experience this? Did I get a bad relay? Is the relay adjustable? Why else might they stay 100% on?

UPDATE: I had blown a fuse with the new relay installed. This shorted out the relay and caused it to fail. After the lights were all set up, I bought a new relay, installed it, and now the lights blink normally. Problem solved.

The LEDs might not be pulling enough AMPs to trip the flasher.

Look on the page you linked under the "Installation" tab:

NOTE: In some rare instances, when there are NO incandescent loads on the blinker system (LEDs front and rear), additional actions or components may also be required to prevent a wide range of blinker problems. These problems are all associated with a lack of resistive load on an all-LED blinker system that was designed for incandescent lamps. Problems such as, but not limited to: the 4-way blink problem (both sides blinking at the same time), the no-blink problem, and Integrated LED Tail Lights staying in "blinker mode" due to non-zero blinker voltages. Rest assured that Custom LED has the knowledge, experience, and expertise to tackle any issues that may arise on your motorcycle.

Remember, the Flasher Relay ONLY controls the speed of the blinkers on the motorcycle, and any other problems that arise are independent of the flasher relay, and are resolved separately as well.

I would either give them a call (Good thing tomorrow is monday) or look in the instructions and see if there are some sort of amperage adjustments you can make.  Unless it is pretty clear in the instructions though, I'd give them a holler before I tried anything crazy.

• Global Moderator

I have the same flasher relay. I have had no problems with LED blinkers all the way around. I would give Custom LED a call.

I would say there's an issue with ur relay, from the site it stated that the min load is 0.05amps. Unless u have like 1 led per signal you should be fine.

• Global Moderator

Could just be lack of resistance... the flasher needs a certain amount of load to trip the solid state breaker to its reset position

Try plugging a regular signal bulb back in... if it works youll just need a small resistor inline with your signals

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
Did you check the Ferbie Artilarator? It is normally connected to the Fernaton Rod on the bike.
For a sdcond there i read that Furby Announcer...
i almost crapped mysekf... those damned things gave me nightmares

Off topic.... sorry

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I had that issue as well.....It was driving me nuts, I kept missing the issue until I double/triple checked my wiring connections and found I had simply mis-wired.

I was using the same relay as well as 3 wire 'Custom-led' wiring harnesses,  but only needed 2 of the 3 wires as I didnt want DRL action.  

Dont base connections by matching wire colours >>>> trace each connection visually to the corresponding pins of the oem harness connection. In true noob form, I had to try different connection combinations to figure it out.

Just be carefull not to blow a fuse if using bare wire to test for proper connections....which I also did....and while tesing my successful blinkers I noticed my tail light had stopped working.  I missed the fuse I blew, so another wonderful WTF!? moment ensued. SMH.

After a crap day of extreme noob wiring and trying to finish up an already frustrating day with a tight EJK install, I felt like a bit of a moron, all over something so simple as mis-wiring blinkers (and missing a blown fuse), but eventually I did prevail and the bike and I love each other again.

Valuable-Lessons-Learned that day of my very first tinkering with 12v applications.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

AlbatrossCafe
I had that issue as well.....It was driving me nuts, I kept missing the issue until I double/triple checked my wiring connections and found I had simply mis-wired. 
I was using the same relay as well as 3 wire 'Custom-led' wiring harnesses,  but only needed 2 of the 3 wires as I didnt want DRL action.  

Dont base connections by matching wire colours >>>> trace each connection visually to the corresponding pins of the oem harness connection. In true noob form, I had to try different connection combinations to figure it out.

Just be carefull not to blow a fuse if using bare wire to test for proper connections....which I also did....and while tesing my successful blinkers I noticed my tail light had stopped working.  I missed the fuse I blew, so another wonderful WTF!? moment ensued. SMH.

After a crap day of extreme noob wiring and trying to finish up an already frustrating day with a tight EJK install, I felt like a bit of a moron, all over something so simple as mis-wiring blinkers (and missing a blown fuse), but eventually I did prevail and the bike and I love each other again.

Valuable-Lessons-Learned that day of my very first tinkering with 12v applications.

To make my connections I cut the connection hub off of the stock signals and attached them to the end of my LED signals. So I am currently using the stock connectors for everything. For the front ones, I used the stock 3-way connectors but just masked off the blue wire (the running light). Did you get these connectors? I don't really see how they can be different from the stock ones, they are just wires after all. 
I did blow the Park-10a fuse once (flashers weren't working at all afterwards) by mixing up my ground & power wire during one test. However, I find it hard to believe that my wires are mixed up? If the ground & power wires are swapped, it shouldn't work at all... And if they were mixed up, then it also would have problems with the stock relay, but like I said the stock relay half-works in that it flashes real fast.

I'll give custom LED a call see what they have to say...

AlbatrossCafe
I would say there's an issue with ur relay, from the site it stated that the min load is 0.05amps. Unless u have like 1 led per signal you should be fine.
You win! 
I just got off the phone with John, the owner at Custom LED. When I blew a fuse during my install, the custom relay was in. Apparently the relay cannot handle more than a 10amp short or so. I blew a 10amp fuse, so it must have been right at the Relay's limit, which caused it to fail.

So it turns out the relay is bad (because of my mistake). Custom LED offered me a reduced price to order another one, which I was very happy with. I would recommend them to anyone because of this. I'll give an update when I try the new relay when it comes later this week/next week.

• Premium Member

Hey there, yeah those were the same connectors from "Custom-Led". I used spade connections from my new blinkers to the custom-led harness. Looking at the rear tail connections I noticed only 2 pins in the oem (as the rear doesnt have DRL). My issue was I had a connection going to the pinless part of the oem connector. "Duh" on my part. I wasnt sure which pin on the front end was DRL so I simply made my front connections exactly the same as the rear ones and voila!

If you are looking at the 3 pins of the oem and/or the 3wire custom-led harness with the clippy/lock part of the connector at the top you will see 2 pins up top, left and right,  and one bottom centre.  For blinkers only, you only want to connect the top right and botton centre. Obviously the top left pin is for DRL. Hope that makes sense. :|

Great if you've got it sorted out. I suppose I was lucky to not damage my relay as I also blew my mini red 10 fuse. Best of luck!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 2 weeks later...
AlbatrossCafe
You win! 
I just got off the phone with John, the owner at Custom LED. When I blew a fuse during my install, the custom relay was in. Apparently the relay cannot handle more than a 10amp short or so. I blew a 10amp fuse, so it must have been right at the Relay's limit, which caused it to fail.

So it turns out the relay is bad (because of my mistake). Custom LED offered me a reduced price to order another one, which I was very happy with. I would recommend them to anyone because of this. I'll give an update when I try the new relay when it comes later this week/next week.

BTW I installed new relay yesterday, and now the signals are blinking at the normal rate. Turns out my old one was fried as suspected. Problem solved!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I get my relay soon. I'm glad you had a good experience with customer service.

SigSide.jpg

I bought OEM connectors and soldered them to my LEDS that also function as DRL. First one worked great, so wired the 2nd one the same and got different results and it did not work right. Ended up having to test the wiring and re-soldering after I got the right combo. Not sure if my OEM wiring was inconsistent or it was my connector that was inconsistent. Was bit frustrating but easy to accomplish with trial and error and zero blown fuses. Once I had them soldered, shrink wrapped and working, then I added the LED flasher without issues. Will do the rear at some point too.

Archived