The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07RS Touring Build

dmf

Now that I've got your attention, this is my first "build" if you can even call it that. - What I'm doing is pretty muuch bolt-on and pre-made parts, but with the agenda of increasing overall performance in speed, long distance rideability, and reliability. Hopefully, doing it all in style. 

I bought this bike the day it came out and plan to keep it forever. I'll have an up to date part list and future plan up soon.

Current parts on bike:

- Givi Windscreen (bought here from Paul)

- Stock handle bars

- PowerMadd Star Handgaurds with 2 Large mirror kits (they sell them separately)

- Yoshimura Tail Tidy

- R&G Radiator Guard

- Rear Signals: Under-seat LED combo turn/brake kit from 'wickedtwister' on this forum

- OEM Yamaha Luggage Rack for FZ-07/09

- OEM European Yamaha 36L Top Case - I had to order this via Canada and have it imported. I think it would have been cheaper to have it shipped from Germany to NY rather than going to the canadian border, but that's my guess. I had to pay an extra $170 to UPS upon delivery, since they're the ones who brought it through the border.

Here's what Ny'eema looks like to date, Winter 2016 - 8,500 miles:

12424467_1687612581498102_664950417_n.jpg

11324229_1640304022910200_1199961174_n.jpg

Here's what she looked this past summer while touring the Northeast, semi-loaded up (no camping gear):
11381447_1633755010176504_1555442127_n.jpg

11428139_1731841090376400_1193990339_n.jpg

Here's what she looked like earlier this summer when I TEMPORARILY ran with a carbon akra exhaust. I've since gone back to the heavy stock exhaust for the sake of being stealth!:

tCzJscJ.jpg

• Global Moderator

Is that an umbrella or a shotgun in that tailbag?
love the color choice though

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Haha, yeah it's a tripod.

The panels are Plastidip Matte Camo Green.

Oh, that tail bag is actually a F-Stop Camera/Hiking Backpack I strapped to my Euro OEM top case.

• Global Moderator

Hows the plastidip holdin up? Anything peeling yet?

• Global Moderator

looks to be the yamaha fly-screen

Too lazy busy to quote each one of you guys, sorry, but here's more details to answer your questions.

Current parts on bike:
- Givi Windscreen (bought here from Paul)
- Stock handle bars
- PowerMadd Star Handgaurds with 2 Large mirror kits (they sell them separately)
- Yoshimura Tail Tidy
- Rear Signals: Under-seat LED combo turn/brake kit from 'wickedtwister' on this forum
- OEM Yamaha Luggage Rack for FZ-07/09
- OEM European Yamaha 36L Top Case - I had to order this via Canada and have it imported. I think it would have been cheaper to have it shipped from Germany to NY rather than going to the canadian border, but that's my guess. I had to pay an extra $170 to UPS upon delivery, since they're the ones who brought it through the border.

The 3rd and 4th photo I had the OEM Flyscreen installed. I upgraded to the Givi to get a bit more wind protection. At 5'6" I can get a full tuck behind the wind if the chin of my helmet touches the tank.

Both the Givi screen and handgaurds definitely helped with aero slip streaming (wind protection) as I noticed a slight increase in performance at top speed.

The Camo green dip is the 2nd time I've dipped the covers - I used 2 cans of Camo green and then used 1 can of plastidip clear coat. There only signs of wear are by mistakes made by me (removing screws which stuck to the dip. It's held on much better than the first time I did it where I only used 1 can of matte gray dip.

Hope that answers everything!

• 7 months later...

Hi dmf, nice setup you have there!
Can you share some more info on the PowerMadd handguards? What do you need to set them up on the FZ-07/MT-07? Handguards, mounts, etc.
Can you post linkes from their online store so I can order them? http://powermaddstore.com/
Thanks!

Is that an umbrella or a shotgun in that tailbag? love the color choice though

lol! Looks like your standard camera tripod to me. 

Beemer

It's a nice bike and all, love the olive color but I think Yamaha should put this engine to good use in a sport touring model that mimics the FJR 1300 so people don't have to work so hard for one. Sure, say bye-bye to the $6990 price tag but it would be a proper, mid-sized touring bike from the factory.

Beemer

Hi dmf, nice setup you have there! Can you share some more info on the PowerMadd handguards? What do you need to set them up on the FZ-07/MT-07? Handguards, mounts, etc.
Can you post linkes from their online store so I can order them? http://powermaddstore.com/
Thanks!

The model I installed on my FZ07 ar ethe PowerMadd Star Handgaurds, along with the mirror kit and 2 large mirror kits. The mirror kit comes with a pair of small mirrors and mounting plates, but were basically useless to see with. You only get 1 large mirror per "larger mirror kit" so I bought 2. It's an improvement, but it's still pretty tough seeing far behind you. (ex. is that a cop coming up behind me?)

It's a nice bike and all, love the olive color but I think Yamaha should put this engine to good use in a sport touring model that mimics the FJR 1300 so people don't have to work so hard for one. Sure, say bye-bye to the $6990 price tag but it would be a proper, mid-sized touring bike from the factory.
I agree and I think Yamaha knows what they're doing. This 700cc parallel is definitely going to be used in a number of new bikes from them. I just hope they make US models - especially the ADV/Dualsport version people have already seen being tested in Europe.

They're definitely milking the market, but it's great they opted to release the cheap, stripped down version with the new motor first. 

Archived