The MT-07 Forum

How to Remove Intake/Airbox?

nokfir2

Hi All,

Quick question. Has anyone removed the Intake/Airbox before?

My box has some scratched and guoges in the plastic side peices from a previous owner, and they are a eyesore.

A new oem box is only $40, so i was thinking id replace it. After looking at the parts diagrams, as well as the mounting on the bike, im baffled. How do you get this thing out???? I assumed id have to take plastics and move take, but even still, it does seems like you can slide it out due to the frame and engine.

any help would be great. Thanks!

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Its not going to be easy to replace it but it can be done without pulling the motor.  This is from the service manual.  Looks like you have to pull the throttle bodies first then there will be enough room for it to come out.

[attachment id=1301" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=1299" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=1300" thumbnail="1]

• Global Moderator

Are you sure you mean the airbox? I did not think you could see that without at least taking the seat off.

• Premium Member
Are you sure you mean the airbox? I did not think you could see that without at least taking the seat off.
I suspect perhaps he is referring to the textured air "scoops" on the side of the fuel tank panels, but I may be wrong.

Its not going to be easy to replace it but it can be done without pulling the motor.  This is from the service manual.  Looks like you have to pull the throttle bodies first then there will be enough room for it to come out.  
This is correct.  It's not that bad of a job, unhook everything from the TB's, slide the airbox back, then slide the TB's out to the left.  Then you can wiggle out the airbox.

J.D. Hord

You can always cover the scratches with a cheap sticker in under a minute.  ;-|  or are you talking about the faux air scoops on the side of the tank? I wouldn't think that scratches on the air filter box would be noticeable.

Beemer

Hi All.

I am not talking about the Air Scoops.

I am talking about the Intake/Throttle body box as seen in the diagram above.

You can always cover the scratches with a cheap sticker in under a minute.  ;-|  or are you talking about the faux air scoops on the side of the tank? I wouldn't think that scratches on the air filter box would be noticeable.
Actually, Have you tried to apply a stick to the sides of the throttle/intake box? 
The grooved texture is very hard to stick anything too.

• Premium Member
Hi All. 
I am not talking about the Air Scoops.

I am talking about the Intake/Throttle body box as seen in the diagram above.
Apologies for that assumption -- I forgot part of that airbox is exposed, and was thinking "why replace something that you'll never see that sits under the gas tank"?

Actually, Have you tried to apply a stick to the sides of the throttle/intake box? 
The grooved texture is very hard to stick anything too.
What's a throttle intake box?

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Post a picture of the scratch... people love staring at pictures of scratches. ;)

It takes a solid 2 to 3 hours to remove the air box and 100% yes the throttle bodies have to be removed,even with the throttle bodies removed it is still a tight fit.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

Have a look in the "Australian MT07" thread in the regional stuff. I took it out to remove the restrictions. The whole thing only took me a few hours including the grinding the restrictors.
I did remove the throttle bodies.
Many fragile bits and pieces so make sure you unattach ALL of them so as not to break anything. The stacks are attached to the airbox by a "removeable" glue, but they do come off.
How bad are the scratches. Have you tried a careful heat gun application. It can make them next to invisible done right.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived