The MT-07 Forum

Taboo to ride with disconnected rear-brake light?

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

Would any of you be upset if I disconnected the brake light trigger on the rear brake? The rear brake would still work fine, it just wouldn't trigger the light.

I always brake with both brakes as that's how I learned to do it from the very start. So theoretically, other drivers wouldn't even notice a difference.

And don't worry about the "why", just focus on the question.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the point of any response naturally HAS to focus on the 'why' because it's an obviously silly thing to do. BTW, using the rear brake as a warning flash is useful in traffic without inducing the kind of change in speed and weight transfer that happens with front brake application. Though depending on the sensitivity of your front brake switch you can flash that way too.

You will fail any safety inspection for one thing.

Your bike, your life, your call. I'm not sure why "we" would care since we don't ride with you.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

AlbatrossCafe

Is it really that silly though? "Flashing the light" aside, if the front brake is being used at the same time, what changes?

Your bike, your life, your call. I'm not sure why "we" would care since we don't ride with you.
My entire life is dictated by the members of this forum 8-)  

So you can't think of *any* situation where you're not using both brakes? I gave one above, also corner entry after most of the slowing is done and you still are adjusting speed with the rear, your light will go out. Or lets say your entry speed isn't all that far off from approach speed but it's not zero, then a rear brake light is useful to those behind you that 1) there's a corner coming up and pay attention, and 2) you are probably changing speed.

Yes, it's bloody silly. What's the motivation for the question? Aftermarket rearsets without a bracket to hold the contact switch? That's when you get an in-line pressure-based unit.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Even if you do use both brakes you may just hit the rear first and so give that little bit more warning and what happens if the front switch failed.

You have to ask why because this is the most random question. If I said I wanted to disconnect only my right turn signals and keep the left you would ask why. Lol
If you always use both brakes what's the benefit of disconnecting it?

• Premium Member

I think the only people that would be "upset" would be the ones who smack into you from behind in a situation where you may only be on the rear brake (and those situations *do* occur as mentioned above), and then only because they would need to wipe stuff off of their bumper.

Perhaps you are feeling a little froggy and wanted to work on your trolling skillz this morning? IDK

Not sure if this has to do with the "why," but my rear brake light has been disconnected on every bike I've owned as a side effect of aftermarket rearsets. The risers I have on the FZ also ultimately resulted in not being able to connect the rear brake light. I don't really use the rear brake (And never use it solo), so I don't see it as being any more dangerous than slowing down via engine braking ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

pineappleunderthesea

Any worries about lawsuits should you get into an accident and police/insurance company finds out your rear brake was disconnected?

I wouldn't do it. As others here have said:

1) The front brake sensor could fail.
2) I use the rear brake exclusively in certain situations.
3) There is the matter of state inspections.

Will I be upset if you do it? Nope. I am genuinely baffled why you wouldn't just explain the 'why'.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

AlbatrossCafe
Not sure if this has to do with the "why," but my rear brake light has been disconnected on every bike I've owned as a side effect of aftermarket rearsets. The risers I have on the FZ also ultimately resulted in not being able to connect the rear brake light. I don't really use the rear brake (And never use it solo), so I don't see it as being any more dangerous than slowing down via engine braking ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯
To be clear, I am talking about disconnecting the light functionality only, not the rear brake itself. 
The times in which where only the rear brake would be applied are VERY fringe situations. The only one I can really think of is when I am stopped at a light, especially when facing uphill/downhill, and I apply the rear brake so I can relax with my hands off the bar without moving. But in this case, I am always at a complete stop.

Some talked about how maybe when I brake I press the rear one first, and that would give drivers more time to react to the brake light. This difference would be <0.5 seconds in 99% of situations, so I think this would be negligible.

Like Zombi said, I would argue that for me, the engine does about 3-4 times as much "rear braking" than the actual rear brake does, and there is no light for that!

Not trolling, I promise. I guess the rear brake light just seems a little redundant to me if you have become accustomed to using both brakes every time, and that is what I was trying to get opinions on :P

I'm super upset!!!

I wouldn't sweat it personally, I hardly use the rear brake, only for shetty road conditions and cornering. I do find myself tapping the front brakes to warn people behind me that I'm slowing, and when stopped at a light with nobody in front of me. That said, I'd personally have it connected just cause I don't have a reason to not have it connected.

Edit:  Come one with the little kid filter, can't say s h i t t y???  Did it anyway, BOOM!

• Premium Member

I don't hold the front lever at a stop, unless it's wet, inclined, or just crappy road. So for me the rear brake solenoid is useful.

Everything went braap.

AlbatrossCafe
No, not "taboo," but, how does HIGHLY DANGEROUS & ILLEGAL grab ya??? 

So for argument's sake, let's just say on a typical hour-long ride, I use my brakes for 10 minutes. 
10 minutes is equal to 600 seconds.
Of those 600 seconds of braking, let's say the front brake was applied for 595/600 of those seconds, and the rear brake was applied for 600/600.

Is 5 seconds (spread out over 10 minutes) of light-less brake operation going to have legions of cars rear-ending me? It seems highly improbable, so I don't really see where the danger comes in.

• Premium Member

OK, I'll bite -- if you have all the answers, why ask a question? :) Take the darn thing off if you want to. I am still baffled as to why, but I'm not allowed to ask why. I mean you could also poke out one of your eyes too -- you have another one, and you would only really lose some depth perception, but how often do you need that? LOL

the first mod i do on every bike ive owned is disconnect all lights. Brake Light, Headlight, Signals, even the speedo/display light.

no need for any lights on a motorcycle.

LOL

• Premium Member

If you didn't have as many posts as you do, I'd think this was a troll topic. :)
Do whateverthehell you want. I use my rear brake in slow traffic a LOT. It's what I use at parking lot speeds for control, and I want my brake light to show when I'm using it. But that's just me.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Sooooo, how many cars "rear-ending" you is acceptable, albatrosscafe, one or two?  From my experience anything I can do, especially if it is nothing (like leaving the factory lights functioning) seems to tip the odds--meager though they may be--in my favor. 

How many serious crashes ya been in???

The most important issue is being stopped at a light. Most people use the rear brake to stay put on an incline for example. Aside from the extra visibility at stand still, I almost never use the rear brake exclusive north of 10mph unless i'm skidding the rear.

the first mod i do on every bike ive owned is disconnect all lights. Brake Light, Headlight, Signals, even the speedo/display light. 
no need for any lights on a motorcycle.

LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF996juVdwU 
Here's what that experience is like lol

But, wh ..... ha! Nah, I won't be upset, don't see why anyone would be if nothing bad comes from it. As long as you keep using that front brake and the front brake lever keeps triggering the brake light I don't see a problem for you or anyone behind you.

Update:

I retract my previous statement. After reading some other posts, there is one thing that may be a legit concern that someone mentioned, it's about applying the rear brake first. I've always heard that at speed a vehicle can travel quite far in 1 second so I looked it up to get the facts and according to the facts, if you had to brake hard for some unexpected reason with someone hard on your fanny perpendicular the rear brake light may make a difference. 

Since you like the numbers, here ya go! A car moving 35 miles per hour travels a distance of 51.3 feet each second. That 1/2 second difference you mentioned would make an appx. 25 ft. distance between you and the vehicle behind you when stopping if all went strictly according to the numbers. Giving the guy behind you 25 ft. less stopping distance is something a person may want to consider. Personally, I don't like giving anyone anything but my exhaust when riding.

Lookie > http://brainly.com/question/199170

Beemer

Archived