The MT-07 Forum

I want something for touring/longer distance.

rowdy

• Premium Member

I've been thinking of adding a bike to my collection for touring and longer distance duties.
Here are a few that I've been (lightly) considered...
FJ-09
KTM Superduke GT
Kawasaki VerSys 1000 LT
Yamaha FJR1300
wait for it... FJ-07

Most of my touring would be hotel hopping around the beautiful National Parks of Utah, Idaho, Colorado, and Wyoming.
My wife might be with me occasionally, but probably not often...   (if I can help it....)   JK ;)
The FJ-09 is at the top of my list for a reason. The KTM looks fantastic, but I might not be able to bring myself to shell out that much cash.
The FJ-07 is still in fantasy land, and I think I'd want a little more power and weight for long distance freeway duty.

...other suggestions?

Why can't left turners see us?

My choice would be either a new FJ-09 or a used FJR 1300.

Every other year there is an iron butt rally that goes across the United stAtes twice, 12000-13000 miles. Not only does an FJR-1300 win every time, last time an FJR-1300 came in 7 of the top ten. That should tell you a lot.

The Versys is the all rounder and unsung hero
In that list try it, you'll likely love it
Good suspenders, seat, panniers etc etc fuel economy etc
Two of my friends have the 2015 model, they are over the moon:-)

Don't go by hp #
It's the wide spread of torque that makes touring a pleasure
And two up without chore

Guest 2wheeler

Just curious, why wouldn't you take the FZ-07 on a longer/touring ride? While the longest day trip I've taken on my FZ has only been 250 miles in the 4 winter months since I bought it, I wouldn't hesitate taking it at least 400 miles or more in a day. I was actually amazed at how good I felt after 250 miles - it didn't beat me up at all, and I'm in my mid-50's. With a Kriga US30 combo tailbag system, a Kreiga tankbag and a Givi windscreen, I think the FZ-07 can go anywhere within reason IMHO.

Living in Virginia, I have plans this summer for trips to New England, the Smokey Mountains, and Upper Pennisula of Michigan. That's going to be just giggles fun on the FZ!!!

I often do 400 ish miles a day on my 07 only problems are
the seat and smallish tank you can get a bit of range anxiety
when out in the sticks. 

• Global Moderator

Ive always ben a fan of yamaha for their reliability
and have ridden both of the fj models at their demo event
for enduro style touring get the 09
for highway cruising the fjr1300 is the way to go

I often do 400 ish miles a day on my 07 only problems are the seat and smallish tank you can get a bit of range anxiety
when out in the sticks. 

I get that feeling in the city sometimes too....
horrible to forget to watch your gas gauge only glance down to see a flasging meter saying youve done 20 on the reserve already

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I've done some pretty long rides on the FZ-07 and it's definitely do-able, but it is pretty range limited, and it gets pretty fatiguing at freeway speeds after more than about an hour, especially if you are into the wind. I've owned a few other bikes (V-Strom 650, VF750C) that had more protection and were much better for distance. I know I could put a bigger screen on it, and some side bags, etc, ... but I'd like to keep it the purpose built bike it is... a naked. I have an acquaintance that did the Iron Butt on a V-Strom 650. He ended up buying an FJR.

The 07 is ok at speed with a screen, I to had a 650 V-strom and although I
liked the bike I never found a screen that stopped it battering my head about
and it was very unstable to side winds, just goes to show how two riders
get different feed back from a bike but the V-strom was still a great bike.

I've been thinking of adding a bike to my collection for touring and longer distance duties. Here are a few that I've been (lightly) considered...
FJ-09
KTM Superduke GT
Kawasaki VerSys 1000 LT
Yamaha FJR1300
wait for it... FJ-07

Most of my touring would be hotel hopping around the beautiful National Parks of Utah, Idaho, Colorado, and Wyoming.
My wife might be with me occasionally, but probably not often...   (if I can help it....)   JK ;)
The FJ-09 is at the top of my list for a reason. The KTM looks fantastic, but I might not be able to bring myself to shell out that much cash.
The FJ-07 is still in fantasy land, and I think I'd want a little more power and weight for long distance freeway duty.

...other suggestions?

I'd recommend checking insurance on the fj09 as most adventure bikes are more expensive. My msf instructor had a triumph and his insurance was 2x what his car and home Insurance was just because of what it is designed for.

• Premium Member
The 07 is ok at speed with a screen, I to had a 650 V-strom and although I liked the bike I never found a screen that stopped it battering my head about
and it was very unstable to side winds, just goes to show how two riders
get different feed back from a bike but the V-strom was still a great bike.
Yea, I remember the head buffeting, but I got my screen dialed in so it wasn't a problem.  Never really noticed any side wind issues and I put about 20K miles on that bike.  But you're right, different riders have different experiences, probably because of rider sizes, shapes, and riding styles.  I still miss the vstrom, but that was one big bike for a 650, especially with side cases. 

The limitation on one up touring the 07 in my opinion is NOT the motor size. The tank range, suspension, seat and wind protection. Last 3 are fixeable ( and I have fixed the wing and the suspension ) but the tank size is a pain. The ridiculously good fuel economy helps but you need to plan your fuel stops. Because I tour with Sally whose KTM Duke has the same size tank and about the same fuel economy it works out OK. You have to discipline yourself to only fill, have a drink and a toilet break and move or you waste too much time but 2 to 3 hours to a short break is probably a good time anyway. When we tour in the car we take 2hour turns at driving anyway.
The seat is easily fixed by something like a Seat concepts ( which I have used on several bikes with success). VERY FEW stock seats on motorcycles are bearable for distance. My BMW seat was THE worst I have ever had. Sally's Duke seat is ridiculously comfortable according to her and she has more touring experience than I.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived