The MT-07 Forum

HELP! Have you adjusted your chain? How many times?

bigity

Hi All,

Just like it says. I'm curious how many of you have adjusted your chains and how many times you have done it. I feel like I'm blessed or cursed (haven't decided which yet) because I have 7500 miles and haven't had to adjust the chain yet. Which feels a little alarming. I just got done cleaning and lubing and checking slack. Per service manual, I checked from the tip of the rib on the chain guide to the center of the chain and it measured 52-53mm. But how can this be after 7500 hard miles?!?!?!

Anyone else have an experience like this or have you had to make adjustments?

Best,
Christopher

• Premium Member

I have over 8k miles on stock chain...adjusted the chain once at like 1.5k miles... But then again a 525 chain is overkill of this bike... 520 chain going on next year... If the 520 is good enough for the R1, then it's more than plenty for this lil scooter in which I have rode it like I stole it mixed with dirt bike moves ...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I tightened mine at about 200 miles and it has been fine since (just over 5,000 miles now).

Nothing wrong if it doesn't stretch. I don't ride my bike real fast but I do gas it hard often to get up to speed quick. That tends to put a strain on the chain and stretch it. (I've adjusted mine twice in 6.5 k miles) If you are babying your bike and taking your time getting up to speed it won't stretch as fast so do you ride yours easy? It's like my tires, they have almost 7 k miles on them and they almost look new because I don't ride it hard. Some have changed their tires at half that mileage because they do ride hard. You're chain is ok.  ;)

Beemer

Mine was crazy loose at about 200 miles. I'm at 1500, and haven't had to do it again yet. As long as you have proper slack, I wouldn't worry that it isn't stretching. Fact: It will need adjustment at some point.

• Premium Member

I check it all the time, but only made adjustments 3 maybe 4 times from 0-19k.

Everything went braap.

Nothing wrong if it doesn't stretch. I don't ride my bike real fast but I do gas it hard often to get up to speed quick. That tends to put a strain on the chain and stretch it. (I've adjusted mine twice in 6.5 k miles) If you are babying your bike and taking your time getting up to speed it won't stretch as fast so do you ride yours easy? It's like my tires, they have almost 7 k miles on them and they almost look new because I don't ride it hard. Some have changed their tires at half that mileage because they do ride hard. You're chain is ok.  ;)

That's the thing. I ride it haaaard! I don't wheelie (lack of skill) but often lift the front tire when accelerating. I do over 130 in the country a few times a year, and I ride in the rain ALL winter as a daily commuter in Portland, OR. It seems like it should have need some adjustment.......

I forgot I had a flat on the rear. I always clean and adjust my own chain and didn't even think you would have to re adjust it when installing the wheel 1000 miles ago. So I guess it has been adjusted once, BUT I don't remember the chain being too slack before the flat tire, so I'm not really sure it was an actual adjust.

Thank you all for the responses. I do appreciate it.

On my bikes (all of them), I've found that if you want to keep chain slack at the minimum spec., you'll be adjusting several times per season.
If you are OK with keeping it toward the maximum slack spec., you will rarely need to make an adjustment.
I have also found that if I set it at minimum slack spec., the slack will gradually work it's way toward the maximum spec. and then stop increasing.
So, I don't fight it.

The exception is if the chain is shot and/or riding a dirt bike with a non-sealed (non-O-ring or non-X-ring) chain.
In these cases, the chain may keep increasing well past the maximum slack spec.

On my bikes (all of them), I've found that if you want to keep chain slack at the minimum spec., you'll be adjusting several times per season. If you are OK with keeping it toward the maximum slack spec., you will rarely need to make an adjustment.
I have also found that if I set it at minimum slack spec., the slack will gradually work it's way toward the maximum spec. and then stop increasing.
So, I don't fight it.

The exception is if the chain is shot and/or riding a dirt bike with a non-sealed (non-O-ring or non-X-ring) chain.
In these cases, the chain may keep increasing well past the maximum slack spec.
Agreed and what's that old saying .... "a loose chain is a fast chain." so best to keep it a little loose anyway.

Beemer

I have 15k, I have only needed two tension adjustments. I check it every 500 miles when I am cleaning and lubing the chain.

I ride pretty fast and wheelie it all the time. Frankly, I am amazed it requires so little adjustment, I suppose my regular chain maintenance may have something to do with it.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I have yet to adjust my 520 RK gxw in the last 7k miles. I run the chain on the looser side, and this is critical if you want the chain to last. I learned that lesson when I toasted to oem chain at 17k miles.

How many are you checking chain alignment when you adjust it?
I do.   

I have one of the laser tools that I use.  I like lasers. 

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Archived