The MT-07 Forum

Car or Motorcycle Mechanic Schools?

motomeek

• Premium Member

Hey FZ fam, 

I've decided to take a break from my career in graphic design to go back to school. Back to learn things I've always wanted to learn. Since many of you have massive mechanic knowledge, I figured I'd ask if there were any schools you recommend or not recommend I look into. 

I'm based out of SoCal, and hope to stay pretty local. Right now, I've been looking into Junior Colleges. 

Oh, and construction too... cus you know. Power tools. 

Thanks!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I don't know your area, but I know there's a few naval yards in the San Diego area.

You should consider an Appretice program. Most of them offer competitive wages with a lot of really in depth on the job training. With some you'll walk out with the ability to obtain a Journeymans license and either a 2 year or 4 year degree.

I don't know about vehicles, but as a mechanic, machinist, fitter etc. in an apprenticeship you'll gain all the same skills. Except you'll be working on machinery/vessels that are substantially more complex and intersting.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

Hey FZ fam,  
I've decided to take a break from my career in graphic design to go back to school. Back to learn things I've always wanted to learn. Since many of you have massive mechanic knowledge, I figured I'd ask if there were any schools you recommend or not recommend I look into. 

I'm based out of SoCal, and hope to stay pretty local. Right now, I've been looking into Junior Colleges. 

Oh, and construction too... cus you know. Power tools. 

Thanks!

I would recommend Wyotech but they're enormously expensive
same with UTI

@hobbs is right... an apprenticeship is the way to go
learn the skills while learning the trade
the tools come later

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I've worked in construction for over 7 years as a operator Hydro demolitions Tec and Ive been a Mechanic since 1998 ( well I've been paid as one lol) 

I'm currently a generator mechanic on 20 cylinder CAT motors and there are jobs all over the world for generator mechanics. So are you looking for money or a job you like lol.
FuK working on cars and motorcycles would just be for fun pay is not there or you have to be really good. If you want cash go Heavy equipment or generators

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

Thanks. Didn't think about the apprenticeship route... I'll look into it

• Global Moderator

I've worked in construction for over 7 years as a operator Hydro demolitions Tec and Ive been a Mechanic since 1998 ( well I've been paid as one lol)  
I'm currently a generator mechanic on 20 cylinder CAT motors and there are jobs all over the world for generator mechanics. So are you looking for money or a job you like lol.
FuK working on cars and motorcycles would just be for fun pay is not there or you have to be really good. If you want cash go Heavy equipment or generators

Heavy equip/diesel is certainly the way to go for moolah
car/moto techs are underpaid for the work we do... pluss you have to deal with ridiculous complaints of customers.

'My A/C doesnt blow cold when im sitting at a stoplight'

'My vehicle makes a weird rattle whenever i go over 40 in reverse'

Most heavy equip operators are quite mechanically inclined themselves and can usually explain problems in much greater detail

3/4-1 ton cummins owners are the best customers i get... usually
there are still those oddballs out there

• Premium Member

Yeah I don't want to stop anyone from doing what they want, just be sure you know what you are getting into. Everyone has to make choices and a job is just that a job find the one you can tolerate and that pays the most ;)

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

Great thread, and so good to hear from those who have successfully made and/or are making a living doing mechanic work. Kudos!

My daughter is turning 18 this month and isn't sure she wants to go to college right away. I've encouraged her to take some time and learn a trade. Right now she's doing a "stage" (unpaid internship) in the kitchen at a friend's restaurant, but I'm going to suggest she look into heavy equipment/generator work. She's good with her hands and is comfortable around tools and helpful in the garage. I think she'd enjoy that kind of work.

Agree with some. If you already have basic mechanical skills, walk into a bike shop and learn the old way... get your hand dirty! Probably can do it part time to start and keep your day job for a bit and keep the $$$ floweing in.

Most shop have entry level position. Might not pay much at the beginning but that will give you an idea if the trade and see if this is something you really like. School have tendency of sugar coating a bit and by the time you start working and figure out its not as nice as you tough... Been there.

I'm a machinist/cnc programmer by trade. End up dropping all that to work on racecars for a living...

Wish I could help but if you can teach me how to use my Vistablet VT-12 Silver that I've never used I'll give you my power tools. 

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Agree with some. If you already have basic mechanical skills, walk into a bike shop and learn the old way... get your hand dirty! Probably can do it part time to start and keep your day job for a bit and keep the $$$ floweing in.  
Most shop have entry level position. Might not pay much at the beginning but that will give you an idea if the trade and see if this is something you really like. School have tendency of sugar coating a bit and by the time you start working and figure out its not as nice as you tough... Been there.

I'm a machinist/cnc programmer by trade. End up dropping all that to work on racecars for a living...

machining and cnc are what interest me
where would be a good start for that kind of work?

That is a bit more technical. You can learn it on the field but that will take you forever. Once you graduate you need a solid 3 years experience to be 100% top notch.

What I did was best of both world... sort off. Found an entry level night/weekend shift job in a machine shop. Do that for a couple of week then get a good school to learn the trade. All the thing you learn at school can be applied directly on your job. That is by far the best way to go up the ladder quick!

• Global Moderator
That is a bit more technical. You can learn it on the field but that will take you forever. Once you graduate you need a solid 3 years experience to be 100% top notch.  
What I did was best of both world... sort off. Found an entry level night/weekend shift job in a machine shop. Do that for a couple of week then get a good school to learn the trade. All the thing you learn at school can be applied directly on your job. That is by far the best way to go up the ladder quick!
Im attending to finish up my automotive engineering associates atm... any idea what courses i should start with?

Sorry @motomeek
i took your thread a bit iff topic

• Premium Member

@sorkyah, no worries.

As for a better explanation of why I'm venturing into these things: My main motivation is mainly for education. I've always wanted to be able to be independent, design, build and maintain my own shit. If I end up making a living combining all that, then I think that would be more than I could ever hope for.

• Global Moderator

Have you thought about something like Art Center in Pasedena?
I know you want mechanical knowledge... but they have an automotive design program

• Premium Member

For knowledge you can always find an old wizard, learn his vices, be respectful, keep him well supplied and then profit.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
Have you thought about something like Art Center in Pasedena? I know you want mechanical knowledge... but they have an automotive design program

I live like 10 minutes from that place and it's a cool place to visit at nights just to check out all the student's works they've got up around campus. Those students are really talented!

• Global Moderator
Have you thought about something like Art Center in Pasedena? I know you want mechanical knowledge... but they have an automotive design program
I live like 10 minutes from that place and it's a cool place to visit at nights just to check out all the student's works they've got up around campus. Those students are really talented!
Chip foose was an honors graduate there in 90-91

• Premium Member

I had to google the name. I don't really watch tv so I don't know anything about anyone on TV anymore.
As for Art Center, I go there about once a year just to browse and walk around. It's got a great view of the city too (it's up in the mountains). I'll take some pictures next time I'm there.

Archived