The MT-07 Forum

Is X-ring chain quieter than O-ring chain?

eraser8

Hi guys,

So, is a xring chain can add some confort to the ears when riding compared to the OEM Oring chain?

The OEM chain is a 525 Oring made by DID (this is what it's writen on the chain). Do a Xring chain like the 525VX by DID could be a much improvement in the chain noise? I know some will answer to change my exhaust but for now, I do not plan to change it in short term. I do not have 1500$ for exhaust and programmer now.

What are your opinion with that? Does it worth the price?

Thanks

In my opinion, I wouldn't change the chain on this bike until you wear this one out, and both chains have a rubber ring. I don't remember noticing that an x ring chain is any quieter than an o ring chain. That being said, if you can hear much noise from your chain, you may just need to lube it.
Keep in mind, if you're going to change your chain, most people change their sprockets at the same time. This is going to add to your cost. If you want to compare that cost to the cost of a new exhaust, I'm running a Terminogni that I got for between $700 and $800, shipped, and I do not have a programmer of any kind, and my bike runs fine. Personally I would put the money towards a new exhaust and do the programmer later, if/when you feel it needs it.

Lolll Yeah... The problem for me is, I never used earplug before and I never be anoyed by a chain noise. Maybe because I always had aftwermarket exhaust on my bikes... But anyway, if there is no difference in sound from X or O rings chain, I will certainly keep my OEM on it since it seems to be a decent quality.

Maybe I should modernize my riding style and put earplugs :)

Thanks

• Global Moderator

i second @So1102's suggestion.... use earplugs
I dont only because my hearing is already gone... we dont need more deaf riders out there

I will add to this.... i have changed both the chain and sprockets on my fz.... and i no longer hear chain noise

I dont know if its from going to a 520 pitch
I dont know if its because its an x-ring chain
I dont know if its from dropping 2 teeth on the rear sprocket
all i know is the noise is gone...

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

i second @so1102 's suggestion.... use earplugs
I dont only because my hearing is already gone... we dont need more deaf riders out there

I will add to this.... i have changed both the chain and sprockets on my fz.... and i no longer hear chain noise

Hi, 
Can you show me what you bought? I guest you bought a complete kit? (chain, and both sproket)? what brand - model?

Thanks

• Global Moderator
i second @so1102 's suggestion.... use earplugs I dont only because my hearing is already gone... we dont need more deaf riders out there

Hi, 
Can you show me what you bought? I guest you bought a complete kit? (chain, and both sproket)? what brand - model?

Thanks

I purchased everything separately actually
520 DID ERV3 from Amazon

Vortex ultralight 41t steel rear sprocket

Renthal ultralight 16t front sprocket purchased locally

Thanks for all info. I also though to go -2 on my rear sprocket (41T). This lower about 4.4% of the ratio. Do see any difference with the drive torque feeling? Fuel economy?

Also, I couldn't find a vertex "ultralight" rear sprocket. Are you sure it is not a standard vertex steel?

Thanks

• Global Moderator

Thanks for all info. I also though to go -2 on my rear sprocket (41T). This lower about 4.4% of the ratio. Do see any difference with the drive torque feeling? Fuel economy?  
Also, I couldn't find a vertex "ultralight" rear sprocket. Are you sure it is not a standard vertex steel?

Thanks

Im not entirely sure about the vortex sprocket...
fuel econ stayed about the same... taking off from a light/stop takes about 100 revs less but isnt much of a difference. I think its the lower overall weight?
less prone to wheelies unless you really give it the beans
i'll grab a part number for ya

Thanks sorkyah,

If you have couple of minutes, can you check my video I did about the clicking sound from the chain? Just to know if it does the same on yours and also if you listen that kind of sound now.

THnaks

• Premium Member
superhawk848

Is your chain alignment correct? Is your chain clean and oiled correctly?

Oh yes !! I check it more than enough!!! best chain oil, alignement perfect, etc....

• Premium Member
superhawk848
Oh yes !! I check it more than enough!!! best chain oil, alignement perfect, etc.... 

How many miles on the chain?

How many miles on the chain?
About 300 km. It is brand new!! 

bmwpowere36m3

Sounds normal to me... Either way, running the bike on the stand is NOT representative of riding. The rear wheel is unloaded and the "pulses" of the engine firing cause the chain to jerk, which leads to chain jumping up/down and additional noise.

All chain drives make noise, some just more than others. The engine and exhaust on the FZ-07 are very quiet, so any chain noise is really apparent.

• Premium Member
superhawk848
Sounds normal to me... Either way, running the bike on the stand is NOT representative of riding. The rear wheel is unloaded and the "pulses" of the engine firing cause the chain to jerk, which leads to chain jumping up/down and additional noise. 
All chain drives make noise, some just more than others. The engine and exhaust on the FZ-07 are very quiet, so any chain noise is really apparent.

Good point, I was under the impression that the OP was hearing the noise while riding

bmwpowere36m3
Good point, I was under the impression that the OP was hearing the noise while riding

Probably is too... I hear some, but not enough for me to spend $200+ to replace the chain/sprockets when their still in good condition.

Good helmet and earplugs...

• Global Moderator
Probably is too... I hear some, but not enough for me to spend $200+ to replace the chain/sprockets when their still in good condition.

Good helmet and earplugs...

Second the good helmet... never use earplugs myself but i can definitely see them helping

A side note
I just started hearing this noise while sitting at a stop-light... no other cars around
Wth is going on

Yes I understand that but I'm now at my fourth bike with chain and I never see this kind of "cliking". I know a chain is a chain but.... 
Moreover, there is PLENTY of people who complain about that.... I'm not the first!!!

Yes for sure I ear it while riding but but it's really though to film it !!!  
Also, I never use earplug because I like the engine sound, the environment sound, etc...... I would try to arrange something with the dealer to do a test with a god kit of chain/sprocket. But if a new kit can remove the anoying clicking sound, it worth 200$ for me... The reson is, in bonus, I will like to ride my bike!!

Hi guys, another question for you gentlemen!

currently, I have 300 km on the bike. (we can say it is new!). What do you think, instead of doing a 520 conversion for chain/sprocket, just changing the chain? I know normally we should change the chain and sprocket together, but in my case, the bika as just 300 km. So, instead of doing a 520 conversion, I would just change the chain for a brand new EK ZVX3 525...

Do you think my chain/sprocket will sufer about that?

Thanks

op, after de-greasing my chain I would hose it down and take it around the block to heat up the chain prior to applying lube.  I always heard the same sound your bike is making.  But it goes away as soon as I apply my lube.  I use Maxima chain wax.    

I've got 26k miles and have since replaced the chain and sprockets and it's even quieter now.

Thanks for infos

I'm planning to change the rear sprocket in the same time than the chain because minw have a wobble effect when I turn the wheel on the stand... Did you noticed the wobble effect on the OEM sprocket? Which brand/model of sprocket you bought for rear?

I ordered the 16t/43t EK 525 srx-2 X-ring set from sprocket center.  I'm not sure what you mean by wobble effect, but I'll tell you that shortly after buying my bike my rear wheel was not properly centered so there was an incident where I was accelerating hard on the freeway and went through a 10 second death wobble that felt like an eternity.    Google death wobble and you'll know what I'm talking about.

One other tip ... I bought an original grunge brush with has much harder bristles over the imitation and I noticed that after I used it, all of my o rings were broken which is partly why I changed out my chain at 17K miles.  I still use the grunge brush but only for the sides of the chain.  I use a soft bristle for the middle.  

I ordered the 16t/43t EK 525 srx-2 X-ring set from sprocket center.  I'm not sure what you mean by wobble effect, but I'll tell you that shortly after buying my bike my rear wheel was not properly centered so there was an incident where I was accelerating hard on the freeway and went through a 10 second death wobble that felt like an eternity.    Google death wobble and you'll know what I'm talking about. 
One other tip ... I bought an original grunge brush with has much harder bristles over the imitation and I noticed that after I used it, all of my o rings were broken which is partly why I changed out my chain at 17K miles.  I still use the grunge brush but only for the sides of the chain.  I use a soft bristle for the middle.  
Hi Cruzian,

Yep finally, I didn't order a new sprocket. After many searching, it seems that the OEM sprocket are Sunstar medium quality, which is enought for me. So, I ordered the top of the line EK 525 ZVX3 chain. I hope this will help me for the chain noise. I will come back when I will be able to try it (currently it's winter here). 

Yeah I already had this kind of wobble effect in the handle... But in my case, it was very minimal like .5 second. I can say it was a VERY long .5 seconds!!! If you want to avoid this effect, buy a steering damper.

Thanks

Archived