The MT-07 Forum

The Ultimate City for Motorcyclists

scottygat

• Premium Member

What would be the ultimate city to live in as a motorcyclist?

I guess this would be my criteria:

- Close proximity to good twisties/canyons
- Lots of other motorcyclists to ride/socialize with
- Good riding weather for most of the year
- Good local moto dealerships and race/service shops
- Lots of special events such as bike nights, rallies, festivals, etc.
- Proximity to racetracks
- Large local market for used bikes

I'm looking to relocate and these are my priorities.
Lots of beautiful single women would be a plus also. Especially if they ride sport bikes.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Without a doubt The San Francisco Bay Area.

Illegitimi non carborundum

twowheeladdict

I would not consider any city. I prefer being out in the country where all the great roads are and riding 30 minutes without seeing another vehicle.

Weather and curves (road and female ) are going to limit you to southern California.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
phicurious86

- Close proximity to good twisties/canyons
- Lots of other motorcyclists to ride/socialize with
- Good riding weather for most of the year
- Good local moto dealerships and race/service shops
- Lots of special events such as bike nights, rallies, festivals, etc.
- Proximity to racetracks
- Large local market for used bikes

I'm looking to relocate and these are my priorities.
Lots of beautiful single women would be a plus also. Especially if they ride sport bikes.
Looks like you're talking about California.

I would say SF, but then again I might be a little biased. Lol. Everything that was mentioned in your criteria describes the Bay area.

Ok im biased but the east coast down south. I live in Jacksonville and the only quality we lack is the twisties, not that we dont have good roads. Just most of them out here are straight for some reason! Lol They can be found though!

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member

I've heard Arizona from a few people. I know North Carolina / South Carolina / Georgia is beautiful too. but I've never been out west. so I'm trying to put together a short list of places to visit.

• Premium Member
I've heard Arizona from a few people. I know North Carolina / South Carolina / Georgia is beautiful too. but I've never been out west. so I'm trying to put together a short list of places to visit.
Just know our riding season in the Phoenix area is inverted: beautiful weather from Nov-June. July-often late October is oppressively hot for ATGATT

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Just know our riding season in the Phoenix area is inverted: beautiful weather from Nov-June. July-often late October is oppressively hot for ATGATT

I'll never understand how you hot weather/humidity guys (and gals of course) do it because inevitably you run into traffic AND ON TOP OF THAT YOU CAN'T SPLIT OR FILTER! Even in 'temperate' San Diego, I can tell I get mental fatigue in 80+ degree weather. And if I'm honest my window of mental acuity is at it's best in a pretty small window, I'd say mid 60s to 80 degrees everything is perfect. Any more, I'm sluggish any less, I'm frozen solid.

We rode the canyons in SD this past weekend and temps ranged from 51-65 (near the city) and it was not very pleasant. My body congeals making turns much harder to navigate; it completely takes me out of my game.

Anyways, kudos to everyone that deal with more treacherous weather than us down in southern california.

Sounds like you want to move to the San Fernando Valley. Proximity to tracks might be the only one not covered, but there are a few inside 200 miles.

• Premium Member

San Francesco for sure....!!, it has two of the best race tracks within 40 miles of driving distance ( Sears point & Laguna seca race way), they are so hot & pretty, even hotter than most of your single women.????

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Totally Dubuque IA!(Just kidding) Yeah, Not going to do much better then California.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

twowheeladdict

Let me add some other choices that would be a fraction of the cost of living in California.

Birmingham, AL has the Barber Motorsports Museum and Race track. A lot of quality curvy roads in the area.

Atlanta, GA has Road Atlanta race track, and nice roads to the North. It is also not too far from Tail of the Dragon.

2015 FZ-07

Guest 2wheeler

The Ultimate City for Motorcyclists in the U.S.A. has got to be the nation's capitol - Washington DC!!!

No seriously folks, what could be more challenging than riding bike in what now is rated as the most dangerous city to drive in!

Its got everything a biker would want for a VERY intense ride.

Its got Diplomats who will run into you for sport because they know they have a get-out-of-jail card.

Its got tons of politicians who will screw you just because it's their job.

Its got so many people from all around the world who don't know how to drive.

Its got an amazing amount of circles which some of you folks call roundabouts.

Half of the city is a high crime area where they will knock you off your bike for laughs

... and then there is that phenomenally bad street design

Lastly, there is the insane amount of traffic cameras which is the ultimate challenge which the FZ-07 is capable of rising to... wheeling at every camera so that it doesn't get your license plate!

Let's see somebody top that  8-)

LA ticks all your boxes. I'd never move there myself, but if you're a car/motorcycle enthusiast it's nearly impossible to beat.

twowheeladdict
LA ticks all your boxes. I'd never move there myself, but if you're a car/motorcycle enthusiast it's nearly impossible to beat.

Would not have thought that of Louisiana (LA). ;)

2015 FZ-07

Guest 2wheeler
I did say "Ultimate City for Motorcyclists in the U.S.A."  
Sorry, just an elitist East Coast moment :D

Well, you never asked for a city in the USA, right?

Cause you just described where I live: south east france!

Twisties every where. You're in the alps so, yeah, mountains every where... And the sea, and sometimes both at the same time!

Warm and nice weather all around the year.

Good community of motorcyclists. Bike everywhere...

Close to race tracks. The famous "circuit du Castellet / Paul Ricard" is here and some others...

Well yeah, there's only one problem: it's in france, and that sucks, hahaha

Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

• Premium Member

Wow.. lot of places to check out. Most consistent answer I've gotten from here as well as other forums is San Francisco. However, I may make it my mission to hit all of these places!
I'm headed down to Florida for a few months, mostly for work, but I'm still gonna load Fiona up in the back of the truck and take her down with me. I already know Florida is not the ultimate city due to its lack of twisty roads and race tracks.. and well, the fact that it's Florida.

Stopping by tail of the dragon on my trip down.

Thanks for the input everyone! FZ07.org is a great asset to have in my back pocket.

• 4 months later...
mmangasarian

Nobody mentioned Austin and San Antonio (outside of the cities). Both have amazing roads that wind through the beautiful hill country. There is the best BBQ in the world, as well as the best the Mexican food. Many of the roads are 50mph sweeping curves. Just perfect for our bike. Oh yeah, there's the Circuit of the Americas outside of Austin.

copamundial

Agree that (parts of) California fit the bill.  But also worth considering Asheville, NC.

NC-Asheville.aspx?width=1441

You would need 3 seasons of gear (as opposed to 2 in Southern California).
Not legal to lane split, but then again the traffic is less than any similarly sized city in California.
The brief time I have spent in California left me thinking it would be really great with maybe 1/3 of the population.

4162_1ha.jpg

2015 FZ-07 White: Penske 8900E shock & spring, Spiegler Stainless brake lines, Woodcraft clip-ons, engine guards and frame sliders.

• Global Moderator
Well, if it's a dirtbike or offroad vehicle, Idaho is freakin hard to beat. 
IMG_2818_zpsybesa2gd.jpg

41F73E29-73ED-41A8-A58E-5CFC2E20F59B-412-0000002583FE466B_zps86f341a6.jpg

I think northern az has ya beat there rob...
then if you head west a bit... youve got dunes for miles and miles

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived