The MT-07 Forum

GP Shift on the FZ-07? SOLVED

roninracing

Has anyone swapped their FZ to go shift pattern? It looks like if you remove/modify the side frame cover, you can just rotate the linkage on the shaft and be good to go.

Edit: Broke out the cutoff wheel this afternoon and modified the frame cover. Guess I'll start a how to thread.UNnMNLH.jpg

• Global Moderator

I had to google it to see what a GP shift pattern was. I think I would find it confusing, and if I let friends ride my bike it could be problematic. I will stick with the original shift pattern.

Post a how to if you decide to do it. I have not seen it discussed on the forum.

GP shift is used by racers on the track to allow easier upshifts coming out of corners, especially lefts because you just dab the shifter down rather than having get your foot under the ahifter while leaned over. I bought an EX500 with standard shift pattern and was winding it up out of a corner I accidentally downshifted and almost ended up out in the tulips. Having used a GP shift pattern so long I don't want to have to think about the shift pattern when I'm railing through a corner. I was initially going to buy a FZ09 but I decided against it after seeing that you have to hack up the rearset to make it work. From what I've seen on the bike it looks like its doable by removing the frame cover.

I was mostly just wondering if anybody here had done it yet.

Picked my bike up yesterday ????, came straight home and switched to GP shift. Took off the frame guard (2 hex bolts), flipped the shift link on trans and headed back out. Took longer to find the tools than it did to perform the operation. Going to modify the frame cover and post pics up in how to after I put a dent in the "honey do" list today.

Guest MXRider

Nice. I'm way too used to standard shift at this point. But it's good that it can be done for free and with little work for those who want it.

I feel like on bikes like these GP shift is unnecessary, on super sports and liter bikes yes, but the FZ07 power is so controllable and tame with no surprise powerband i'd say locking up your rear from a mistake would be harder than it seems.

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Guest MXRider

GP shifting has nothing to do with horsepower. It's about being able to up shift in a long left handed sweeper where you couldn't get your foot under the shifter because of how far you're leaned over.

GP shifting has nothing to do with horsepower. It's about being able to up shift in a long left handed sweeper where you couldn't get your foot under the shifter because of how far you're leaned over.
I highly doubt unless you're actually in Moto GP and you're name is Rossi or Marquez or another big name you're ever going to get that incredibly close on a left hand lean to the point where you can't get the tip of your foot the like one inch if not that underneath the shifter. That lean angle is damn near impossible unless you're a motorcycle god. Even Rossi here has enough room to get underneath the shifter. valentino-rossi-catalunya-03.jpg 

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Guest MXRider

And your experience in road racing or track riding is what, exactly?

He doesn't have anywhere close to being able to get his foot under the shifter without making contact with the ground. If you drag your foot enough, it's possible to make too much contact with the ground, which will unload your suspension. When you do that, you lose traction. And when you lose traction at a 50* lean angle, you crash.

He doesn't have anywhere close to being able to get his foot under the shifter without making contact with the ground. If you drag your foot enough, it's possible to make too much contact with the ground, which will unload your suspension. When you do that, you lose traction. And when you lose traction at a 50* lean angle, you crash.

Alright well when you see somebody with a real genuine need for GP Shifting on an FZ07, tell me about it. 

Guest unknown

MXRider is nailing this on the head. The last thing you want is to unload your suspension through a turn because your toe dragged and cause a high side.

Edit: Lenny, you are looking at one, it was a little unsettling up shifting through big bend at SPR when I was at my max lean angle and dragging my toe. It wouldn't have happened if I had GP Shift.

Guest MXRider

Alright well when you see somebody with a real genuine need for GP Shifting on an FZ07, tell me about it.
Well there is the guy who created the thread...

And there has been plenty of times GP shift would have been helpful for me, especially when I was heavy into riding the track with my 600RR. I just can't go back and forth between the 2.

For me...GP shift is really just about what I'm used to. It does have some added benefits discussed here but just got back from a 2 hour ride and am glad I switched it. Pics still coming.

Archived