The MT-07 Forum

Stock fork oil?

sirlightyear

sirlightyear

Hey guys, I am thinking about putting a heavier oil into my fork to make it a bit stiffer and more responsive. Does anyone know what is the stock fork oil? So that I know which oil is heavier... Also, does anyone have experience with this?

Sir LightYear

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised nobody answered this.

The stock oil is 10 weight with a 162mm oil level.
That's 162mm from the top of the fork tube after the spring is removed, all air bubbles purged from the fork oil,
and the fork bottomed-out.

There's a trade-off.
15 weight oil (or a custom blend of half 10 weight and half 15 weight oils to make a 12.5 weight oil if you want to
try a smaller incremental change) will make compression and rebound slower via more damping, but sharp bump compliance
may suffer enough to be bothersome (sudden bumps that make the fork move very quickly).
You won't know until you experiment.

You can also try simply adding 10 weight oil to increase the oil level in 5mm increments, effectively increasing spring rate (via
upping the air spring effect).

sirlightyear

Thank you very much. I found out that changing the oil is not as easy as I thought so I will postpone it for now.

Sir LightYear

Read Pattonme's stuff on the forks. The stock rods are problematic as the compression and rebound orifaces' flow do not match each other very well . Changing the viscosity will make one or the other even worse than it is stock . I think it was compression was too high but it has been a while since I GVE's ,then cartridged mine, and I have done a few forks on other bikes since, so you need to reference the Forks posts in the suspension area.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived