The MT-07 Forum

Took 101 mile ride with 7 guys

jerryv

Rode through "7 lakes" ended up at Perkins Point Bear mountain NY, so yes I rode naked at Bear mountain.  What a day!  Near the end of the ride I switched bikes with my son, so I rode the R6 for the lats few miles.  That thing roasted my chestnuts ... phew.  I think he liked my FZ a whole lot too.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag212/Jerry_Vezzosi/IMG_20140810_114657_zps679b8078.jpg

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag212/Jerry_Vezzosi/IMG_20140810_113413_zps2f0369cc.jpg

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag212/Jerry_Vezzosi/IMG_20140810_090702_zps07ce5646.jpg

• Global Moderator

I was going to take a three mile ride to Five Guys:). That is almost the same thing, right? Seriously, that looks like a fun trip and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

It was, except for following damned noisy Harleys .. lol. They did ride well though. I did have to slow up on some of the curves, was getting too close to them ;)

Either you are trying to keep a secret or my secret is safe... (spilling the beans)... the two roads off of Seven Lake Drive; Rt. 106 Gate Hill Rd off the Parkway to 210 Lake Kanawauke Rd to Rt. 17 is where there are many boulders along the curved road with scraped aluminum from bikers with more balls than brains. A proper warm up is on the other goat path crossing the park, Lake Welch Pkwy to Cedar Pond Rd, and then the exquisite Tiorati Brook Rd to the circle. Unlike Seven Lakes Dr., these roads are not heavily patrolled, the curves enforce their own limits.Years ago the asphalt was smooth and oh so tempting to take U-turns for another lap.  Perkins Memorial Dr. on Bear Mountain is great scenery but the frost heaves and traffic make it a slog.One more gem is just to the north, on a cliff above the river, RT-218, Cornwall on Hudson, The Storm King!I could go on, and on, and..... Rt. 17A west to Greenwood Lake.

In 1908 the State of New York announced plans to relocate Sing Sing Prison to Bear Mountain. Work was begun on the area near Hessian Lake and in January 1909, the state purchased the Bear Mountain tract. Conservationists, inspired by the work of the Palisades Interstate Park Commission lobbied successfully for the creation of the Highlands of the Hudson Forest Preserve.

Mary Averell Harriman, wife of Union Pacific Railroad president E. H. Harriman offered the state 10,000 acres and one million dollars toward the creation of a state park. George W. Perkins raised another $1.5 million from a dozen wealthy contributors including John D. Rockefeller and J. Pierpont Morgan. New York state appropriated a matching $2.5 million and the state of New Jersey appropriated $500,000 to build the Henry Hudson Drive, (which would be succeeded by the Palisades Interstate Parkway in 1947).

In 1912, Bear Mountain-Harriman State Park became a reality the following year when the prison was demolished and a dock was built for steamboat excursion traffic; the following year a new West Shore Railroad station was built near the dock.
The park opened June 1913. Steamboats alone brought more than 22,000 passengers to the park that year. Camping at Hessian Lake was immensely popular; the average stay was eight days. By 1914 it was estimated that more than a million people a year were coming to the park.

Either you are trying to keep a secret or my secret is safe... (spilling the beans)... the two roads off of Seven Lake Drive; Rt. 106 Gate Hill Rd off the Parkway to 210 Lake Kanawauke Rd to Rt. 17 is where there are many boulders along the curved road with scraped aluminum from bikers with more balls than brains. 
Was my first time up that way.  I distinctly noticed those rocks that you mentioned, thinking If you got too close they looked sharp!  Not sure what the road names were, definitely 17a.  We took all back roads from Wayne NJ, went around Wanaque reservoir, Monksville reservoir, Greenwood lake, through Sterling forest, past the Renaissance fair and up to Perkins.  Quite the ride and scenery.  A heck of a lot of undeveloped country along those routes, very nice. 

Archived