The MT-07 Forum

Left front and rear signals on solid all times

stickman

Realized I had put this post in incorrect thread yesterday.   

Anyway I'm having an issue with my turn signal on the left side always being lit, i.e. no blinking just solid.  The left indicator on dash also shows as always lit.  The right side works as expected.  Some background...  I bought this bike new from dealer but when I got home from picking it up my wife had noticed on drive home that the rear left indicator was on solid and the right side was not on.  I first thought issue was with right side not being on as I thought maybe left side was a running light, realized later we don't have running lights on rear side.  

Some questions / thoughts:
1. Since the right side works correctly I'm assuming the flasher relay works properly.  Does that sound like good assumption or is there a way to test flasher relay?
2. Does anyone have wiring diagram of the turn signal circuits?   I'm wondering if somehow the turn signal switch could be the problem.  One thought I had is if the switch for left was shorted but if that were the case I'm wondering if the right side would still work.
3.  Any other thoughts as to why this might fail in this way?

For full disclosure I did also replace the rear signals with LED signals, if did this hoping the problem would be fixed when I did this.  I don't think it's the issue as the problem was there from day 1 when I picked up the bike.

Thanks in advance

Guest Ralph

If it's new dont mess just take it back,
could be if it's never worked it was wired
wrong I would look were the indicator wires join the
wiring loom but on a new bike I would expect the dealer to
fix it.

• Premium Member

Did your other thread get deleted? I thought there were some responses in there.
Anyway, I'd put the stock signals back on and take it back to the dealer. Don't give them an excuse to deny a claim. Or, follow on below...

Did you buy from Woods? I was visiting Pflugerville last week and me and the guy I was with stopped in there on a Wednesday, about an hour before closing. He'd fallen in love with a Triumph Thruxton and the salesman was willing to throw a plate on for him to take it for a spin. And he's from Canada (meaning, not a TX, or even US driver's license). Nice guys, but you never know...
I'll be back there from the 11th-13th if you like some troubleshooting assistance. I'm staying at the Courtyard on Yager/Tech Ridge Blvd.
Looking at the wiring diagram (for an MT-07, a little different, but the rear lights should be wired the same) and from replacing my own relay, there are only two wires connected to it. It gets power from the accessory circuit, goes through the relay, then to the switch and the bulb(s). So I doubt it's the relay or the switch, since the relay is upstream. Does the right side flash normally? When the right side flashes, does the left side do anything, stay on, turn off, cook a burrito?
For that matter, when the left side is activated, does anything change?
When the switch is off, there is (should) be no power downstream. It's possible, and this is why I actually like working on electrical, especially simple DC circuits like this, is that the front left bulb isn't inserted correctly, or there's a short in the front left wiring. Two ways to test this theory. However, since I have the MT manual, which doesn't show the front parking light (or DRL as some people refer to them) circuit, since the Euro bikes don't have it, I can't verify using the first method. the 2nd though.... take the lens off the front left signal and take the bulb out. Turn on the ignition. Now what happens to the dash light and the rear left bulb? If good, re-insert the bulb, making sure it goes in the right way if necessary. If it starts acting up again, replace the bulb with a new one.
Going a little further, if nothing changes, take the headlight off (just two bolts hold it on, it's hinged at the bottom), and unplug the front left signal. If good, get the signal replaced. Got a DVM to test for a short?
My theory is that the running light circuit is shorting to the left signal signal circuit, sending current back to the left rear bulb and the dash light.

- Andy

Thanks, great info. I'll call dealer Monday if needed, unfortunately I cant easily put stock signals on as I cut wires to use those connectors. I bought from kent power sports. I did try moving the other thread here but couldn't see how yo do that so I did delete from there and start here again.

So I removed front left bulb and with key to on the rear left signal is off as expected, if I turn signal to left the left rear blinks very fsst. If I put bulb back in but reversed then front and back on left side stay off with key set to on. When I turn lrft signal on left front and back blink at normal led rate. Only problem I see now is that right front will also blink at the same time. If I turn on right blinker right side works normally and left side stays off as you would expect. Hope that helps narrow down issue some. Thanks again

Sorry for confusion on last post, I tried to add my reply to your quote and it added my comments inline with your text. Maybe doing this on my phone is not a good idea.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I agree with the others that you should bring it back to the dealer. Electrical problems can be a real PITA to trace. Just explain how your bike behaved on your way home from dealer, since they should have verified the lights/signals with you during delivery of the bike.  They may not look at the problem because you cut the wires for led signal install, but if they are reasonable they should look at it for you.

After you get this problem resolved, see about getting this relay to fix the fast blinking signals caused by the LED signals.
www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay

• Premium Member
Thanks, great info. I'll call dealer Monday if needed, unfortunately I cant easily put stock signals on as I cut wires to use those connectors. I bought from kent power sports. I did try moving the other thread here but couldn't see how yo do that so I did delete from there and start here again. 

So I removed front left bulb and with key to on the rear left signal is off as expected, if I turn signal to left the left rear blinks very fsst. If I put bulb back in but reversed then front and back on left side stay off with key set to on. When I turn lrft signal on left front and back blink at normal led rate. Only problem I see now is that right front will also blink at the same time. If I turn on right blinker right side works normally and left side stays off as you would expect. Hope that helps narrow down issue some. Thanks again
I think we're getting somewhere. What kind of bulbs are in front, stock or LED? If LED, are they single or dual filament (in stock housings, you'd need dual). Do you still have the stock bulbs?
If LED, when you reversed the bulb (again, assuming stock housings), the right side coming on as well may be the running light, if you put single 'filament' bulbs in (LED's don't use filaments, but hopefully you get the point).
What do you mean "normal LED rate", faster than stock but not hyper?
This should be what the stock bulb looks like. Notice that there are 4 terminals. The outside ones are for one filament, the inside for the other, so it doesn't matter which way these are inserted. The D is LED means diode, only allowing power to go one way. Inserted normally, it's fine, backwards, power will flow down the other wire, to the other light. This is all ASSuming you have the wrong bulbs. If you still have the stock bulbs, there may be an internal short, just get some new ones from the auto parts store.
wedge-base-bulb-t20-12v-w215w_zpszurpqrtu.jpg

Sorry for confusion on last post, I tried to add my reply to your quote and it added my comments inline with your text. Maybe doing this on my phone is not a good idea.
If you go back and edit it, you can take it back out, or move it below the quoted section. For me, I find it easier to edit the BBCode directly, you'll see a tab called BBCode at the bottom of the reply window.

- Andy

Hi Jeckler, I still have the stock bulbs in the front, they are exactly as you pictured. For LED rate, you had it exactly i.e. Normal LED rate being faster than all bulb type and very fast was faster than what I would typically have with LED lights.

I pulled the left bulb out and Ohm'd out the outer and inner filament connections, no short detected. I also swapped the bulbs from left to right side and no change in behavior. One additional thing I noticed was when I turn on the left turn signal in addition to having the right front and left front blink I also see the front center running light blink as well. I hadn't realized there was a center running light but the main center bulb was not flashing but a light underneath that in the center. I'm thinking this is pointing to your original theory of short on the running lights and the left blinker. I'll see if I can see anything shorting, if not I'll try to schedule some time to get to dealer, one downside of buying from a dealer that is not close to your home.

• Premium Member

Now it's sounding like there's a bad ground. The center light should be on whenever the ignition is on, running or not, signaling or not. If you know which terminal is the ground on the left side connector (should be black), run a wire directly to any part of the frame. Also ohm out that wire to the frame and see if it's open. If you're feeling brave, you could trace the wire, but that may be hard if it's in a bunch of others in a loom.
At this point, it sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. I wouldn't think you have to go back to the selling dealer though, it's a manufacturer warranty, any dealer should be able to handle it. Some dealers may be more willing to help if you bought it there however.

- Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to give a quick update on this thread. First thanks for all of the help. Issue ended up being the front left turn signal socket that the bulb inserts into had the short to the running lights.

Archived