The MT-07 Forum

Anyone using a messenger bag?

rowdy

• Premium Member

For a few years now I've been using a messenger bag on my commute.  I tried using a backpack, but it was a PITA to get on and off compared to swinging a bag over my shoulder.  The one I've been using isn't quite big enough for my work laptop so I just picked up a this one made by Shimano  ( I bought mine at Nashbar because they had them an sale for $59, but they are now sold out). Just curious to see if other people are using messenger bags, and what kind? 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

When I bought my 1st gen Scion xB back in early '07, they gave me a couple 'welcome packets'. Stuff like keychains, beer cozies, cup holder coasters and some other little trinkets. The kit came in a vinyl bag with a drawstring closure and when closed, the strings were long enough to use it as a backpack. Up until yesterday, I'd been using one of them for about a month. Taking it off though, it broke. I'd like to get either something similar, or a messenger bag like you. I agree, putting on and taking off a 'pack can be a PITA, especially, for me anyway, getting it past the elbow guards. That's what took mine out, it got caught and I was in mid-motion... SNAP.

- Andy

• Premium Member
When I bought my 1st gen Scion xB back in early '07, they gave me a couple 'welcome packets'. Stuff like keychains, beer cozies, cup holder coasters and some other little trinkets. The kit came in a vinyl bag with a drawstring closure and when closed, the strings were long enough to use it as a backpack. Up until yesterday, I'd been using one of them for about a month. Taking it off though, it broke. I'd like to get either something similar, or a messenger bag like you. I agree, putting on and taking off a 'pack can be a PITA, especially, for me anyway, getting it past the elbow guards. That's what took mine out, it got caught and I was in mid-motion... SNAP.
Yup...  The exact reason I prefer a messenger bag.  Probably not as aero, but with the stabilizing strap, it is a secure fit. 

• Premium Member

I use an ancient BaileyWorks messenger bag. Works great and versatile for running around town. I wouldn't carry it on a long tour, but for running errands and toting a day's worth of stuff, it's more than adequate. Plus, BaileyWorks measures their volume in "Beer Can Capacity"... :D

Doesn't work so well with my new tail bag though...

ProductDetail_SuperPro_ZoomInShot_v2.gif

• Premium Member

Stabilizing strap? I was going to ask you about it, but figured it was easier just to click on the link in your first post. :)
I like it, but not the 'lightning blue' accent color. Might have to check into these.

- Andy

• Premium Member

I agree that one's a little too colorful. Here's the one I got.

[attachment id=1572" thumbnail="1]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just picked up the Kriega Urban messenger bag. I'll get back to you guys with my thoughts in about a week.

Just picked up the Kriega Urban messenger bag. I'll get back to you guys with my thoughts in about a week.  

I'm interested in this bag as well. Would really like to hear your impressions of it.  

• Premium Member

I'm interested in this bag as well. Would really like to hear your impressions of it.
Been using it all week. Will have a review of it Sunday, hopefully with a video. So far impressions are very good IMO.

• Premium Member
Been using it all week. Will have a review of it Sunday, hopefully with a video. So far impressions are very good IMO.
Wow, that thing looks fantastic!  (I might have to upgrade). :) 

• Premium Member

I bought a small one (about 8.5" x 13" x 2") from ebags for $20 delivered. It is made to fit over the head and either shoulder depending on where the strap is hooked, in one of two places as the bottom. It has a little padding.

I got it simply for carrying reading material when I ride to coffee. ebags has a gazillion different ones.

Archived