The MT-07 Forum

Cleaning bugs off your riding gear????

danfz07

The small gnats and other flying bugs have been pretty thick lately in Northern New Mexico.  I used to always wear a leather jacket and had a fairing on my bike.  Now with the naked FZ-07 and me switching to a fabric Joe Rocket jacket I am finding it quite difficult to keep it cleaned off.  Just wondering what everyone else does to keep their stuff clean?  My leathers I was just able to wipe it down with a wet cloth but on my fabric jacket it just seems to rub the nasty in. 

twowheeladdict

I will use those spot removers they sell for sloppy eaters, and hand wash my gear after trips or when needed.

The Nikwax product line may help keep staining from happening since riding gear is similar to tech gear.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member

I use this stuff (for leather)...  Really nice! http://www.autoglym.com/
I dont have experience with fabric gear yet.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I will use those spot removers they sell for sloppy eaters, and hand wash my gear after trips or when needed. 
The Nikwax product line may help keep staining from happening since riding gear is similar to tech gear.
I did a google search on it and found somewhere else them recommending Nikwax.  I may try some out.  Although it involves removing all the padding and washing it in the washer with the Nikwax.  Would love to find a way to just wipe it down with something in between rides.   

I suppose it really depends on the color of your textile/mesh jacket.

I have a black textile, I just use either baby wipes or sanitizing wipes. Did a 100 mile ride yesterday, came back and had an obscene amount of wasp guts. I used lysol wipes. Came right out, but like I said, its black so its hiding any soaked in stains.

If you have light gray or something, it might not work as well for stains.

I pretty much now only use black mesh/textile during the warm months.  I reserve lighter colors for the cold months where bugs aren't an issue.

If you have hi-vis textile (or white or whatever), I guess you can try scotch-guard spray, but it will leave a slight haze/matting effect on whatever you spray (and tape up the zippers as well before spraying).  This won't downright prevent it, but it helps with cleanup.  Unfortunately it isn't a one shot deal, you have to continually spray it every so often.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

ParticleCannon

My textile jacket (white, lightgray, black) seems to work the bug guts out on its own. Though its dry enough here that the guts probably dehydrate to powder and just shake out in the wind.

You could always try riding in the rain

1. wear plastic bag over jacket.
2. ride motorcycle (or just you) thru automatic car wash. should probably decline the "hot wax" treatment.
3. pick the bug parts out at the dinner table and pretend to eat them - "It's free protein!"

I just give my JR Air jacket a good shake (like your mom used to do when hanging the laundry on the line). Just stand up wind to avoid the cloud of crumbled bug bits.

Oh, you wanted serious answers?!? (sorry, long day at work)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

1. wear plastic bag over jacket. 2. ride motorcycle (or just you) thru automatic car wash. should probably decline the "hot wax" treatment.
3. pick the bug parts out at the dinner table and pretend to eat them - "It's free protein!"

I just give my JR Air jacket a good shake (like your mom used to do when hanging the laundry on the line). Just stand up wind to avoid the cloud of crumbled bug bits.

Oh, you wanted serious answers?!? (sorry, long day at work)

Those seem serious enough for me as I have already done #3.  Kids seemed to get a kick out of it! 
Actually I have found just using a dry tooth brush to be the best method although I would suggest buying a new tooth brush just for that purpose.

Archived