The MT-07 Forum

Ortega Highway

barneyfife

Rode Ortega Highway(Hwy 74) yesterday. One of SoCal's premier ride spots. I haven't been up there for years even though its only a half hour from my house. 
Perfect day, 75 degrees and blue sky. Left home with no destination, just let the bike tell me where it wanted to go. Rode up at a nice quick pace                                 with no problems with traffic. Cars use the turnouts to let you pass (thank you very much).
On the way back I told myself to just cruise and enjoy the scenery. Followed a mini van with "baby on board" driving faster than I was. Ha. Around here soccer moms go 90 on the freeway. 
Pulled into a scenic turnout just to watch the other bikes fly by. Every kind of motorcycle up there. Sportbikes of all brands and sizes,Harley baggers, and even  a couple of slingshots. Check out some of the videos on youtube,some good ones.
I'd give this road a 5 out of 5 stars. Nice tight twisties, perfect pavement, lots of bikes. I'm going back soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
phicurious86
Rode Ortega Highway(Hwy 74) yesterday. One of SoCal's premier ride spots. I haven't been up there for years even though its only a half hour from my house.  Perfect day, 75 degrees and blue sky. Left home with no destination, just let the bike tell me where it wanted to go. Rode up at a nice quick pace                                 with no problems with traffic. Cars use the turnouts to let you pass (thank you very much).
On the way back I told myself to just cruise and enjoy the scenery. Followed a mini van with "baby on board" driving faster than I was. Ha. Around here soccer moms go 90 on the freeway. 
Pulled into a scenic turnout just to watch the other bikes fly by. Every kind of motorcycle up there. Sportbikes of all brands and sizes,Harley baggers, and even  a couple of slingshots. Check out some of the videos on youtube,some good ones.
I'd give this road a 5 out of 5 stars. Nice tight twisties, perfect pavement, lots of bikes. I'm going back soon.

I rode the 74 from Dana Point all the way to Indio on my way back to Phoenix from a short vacation in early April. Beautiful road. That view from Lookout Roadhouse is awesome! Will definitely be going back to ride it again.

Archived