The MT-07 Forum

Jackets

7fikes

Best summer jacket bang-for-the buck - $100 
https://www.cyclegear.com/bilt-techno-mesh

Yeah, it's a Bilt product, but you should try before you immediately pan it. Plus you can readily get discount coupons online for CycleGear making it even less expensive. I'm very impressed with the quality!

I would have to agree. It can't be beat for the price since the main focus here is on protection. You get CE approved armor at the elbows and shoulders and a back pad (just like all the other jackets) for 100 clams. If you're not racing around on the streets like a pro racer rides at 130-200+ mph I am sure it provides more than enough protection. 

Beemer

That Klim is a nice jacket but so is this for almost half the price and it's a solid jacket. If you're focus is more on armor then this has CE approved, ventilated armor at the elbows and the shoulders. Pad for the back but can be replaced with CE back armor.  

https://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-Ventech-II-Jacket-2X-Large/dp/B00CLV4U9I/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1468164204&sr=8-12&keywords=scorpion+exo+mesh+jacket
In regards to the Klim, it's got exceptional abrasion resistance as compared to most poly mesh jackets.  Something absurd like 500psi to break a single strand.  That's what set it over the top for me.  That and the hi-viz availability.  I'm a gear slut and a hi-viz addict.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
I am searching for my first jacket and I wanted to see what kind of jackets people are using? Share ideas and pics if you have them. Thanks.
What's your climate like? That should be a major question you ask yourself in deciding on your first jacket. Are you planning on riding year round, or just during the typical riding season? A one-size-fits-all jacket is hard to find if you're riding in different climes each year.

Typically riders have a hot weather and cold weather jacket, though if you live in a place with really mild winters you could probably get away with a hot weather jacket with some kind of wind blocking insert.

I wear this as my hot weather - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-gt-r-air-textile-jacket *warning the white textile is difficult to clean

This for fall, winter, and early spring - https://www.ridersdiscount.com/alpinestars-mens-gp-r-leather-jacket-2015-198680

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
That jacket looks great @jeffkisthename, how do you like it? Any comparison vs the Jaws? I've been looking to upgrade to leather and was considering the Jaws but that deal on STG looks pretty good.
Not sure. My only other jacket is a textile Alpinestars Megaton. My next leather will probably be the Celer by Alpinestars.

SigSide.jpg

That Klim is a nice jacket but so is this for almost half the price and it's a solid jacket. If you're focus is more on armor then this has CE approved, ventilated armor at the elbows and the shoulders. Pad for the back but can be replaced with CE back armor.  

https://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-Ventech-II-Jacket-2X-Large/dp/B00CLV4U9I/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1468164204&sr=8-12&keywords=scorpion+exo+mesh+jacket
In regards to the Klim, it's got exceptional abrasion resistance as compared to most poly mesh jackets.  Something absurd like 500psi to break a single strand.  That's what set it over the top for me.  That and the hi-viz availability.  I'm a gear slut and a hi-viz addict.
That's fine but the scorpion offers enough protection for the kind of riding most do. 

Beemer

So I think I narrowed it down to either GP Plus R or the Jaws. That Scoprion Clutch looks like a good deal I just don't like the look of the hump. Got to try on the GP Plus R at the local Cyclegear and it felt pretty good, kinda disappointed that it doesn't come with a liner, but it is what it is. 

So I think I narrowed it down to either GP Plus R or the Jaws. That Scoprion Clutch looks like a good deal I just don't like the look of the hump. Got to try on the GP Plus R at the local Cyclegear and it felt pretty good, kinda disappointed that it doesn't come with a liner, but it is what it is. 

Alpinestar and Dainese are my go to brands. Have you looked into any of the Dainese jackets? The quality is top notch.

Alpinestar and Dainese are my go to brands. Have you looked into any of the Dainese jackets? The quality is top notch.
I have, but Dainese is a slightly different fit and not as accommodating for my body type, I don't have the same girlish figure I used to. 
Edit: To the guys with the Jaws? How is the fitting? Are you able to wear any insulation base layers or is the fit too snug?

You can call me a cheap f#-er but if I buy a jacket that costs me over £200 I want to use it EVERYWHERE not just on my bike. Bathroom and bedroom are exceptions.
So, when I looked for one my criteria was on the top of safety that I can wear it day to day without making people smile at me.
That's way I decided to go with rev it akira vintage leather jacket.

https://imgur.com/xk9Uf5l

2016 FZ07 - LOVING IT!!
2003 R6 - SOLD
2006 FZ6 - SOLD

I'm also struggling to find the right jacket. First time rider here and can't decide if I should splurge for leather or if textile will meet my needs in case of a slide. Will something like Alpinestars textile GP Plus R Air survive a crash without disintegrating?

• Premium Member
phicurious86
I'm also struggling to find the right jacket. First time rider here and can't decide if I should splurge for leather or if textile will meet my needs in case of a slide. Will something like Alpinestars textile GP Plus R Air survive a crash without disintegrating?
Depends on the crash. Textile shreds or melts if it hits pavement with any kind of speed. I'm still wearing a textile jacket that I low-sided in going maybe 45. Right elbow was the only part of the jacket that saw contact with the asphalt and fabric is ripped up and melted at the impact point. The elbow armor was really the only protective part of it.

I ended up going with the Scorpion Clutch jacket, wasn't what I initially wanted but that deal on STG was really good, and considering I already had some store credit I figured why not. The jacket it awesome, just not a fan of that speed hump.

Archived