The MT-07 Forum

I NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING THHE GAS CAPACITY

woodykillo

So, it says 3.7 gallons and I can barley put like 2 gallons, am I not filling it correctly, is here a trick or something . Also why does it feel like my gas goes so quickly . I filled up 2 times in 4 days for only like 150 miles ?

• Premium Member

You must be filling up too early or have the nozzle way down in the tank and only stop when it clicks. You have to lift the nozzle out the tank when filling and watch it. I've gotten 3.2 gallons in mine before.

bmwpowere36m3

Either you aren't filling it up all the way and/or filling up too soon. You don't hit reverse till the last fuel gauge bar starts to blink and then you still have a solid 35-40 miles of riding. To fill it up all the way, you have to pull the nozzle slightly out of the metal filler and let the fuel level come up to the round cutout (the one with the bigger hole for the nozzle and 2 or 3 smaller holes).

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

^^^ What they said. As for the gas going quickly, that is directly related to your right wrist action.  8-)

Illegitimi non carborundum

I have also found that I hit the reserve at 2.5 gallons used. I think the manual says that 3.2 or 3.3 is actually usable in the tank.

Sit on the motorcycle and stand it up (don't rest it on the kickstand) during fillup.

The most miles I've gone on a fill up, barely using reserves (I did fill up when it was blinking F trip, but I didn't have that on too long, 5 miles at most) was 151 miles. That was early on though, since then I just said F it and I fill up whenever I need and get the chance. Even if I have like 2-3 bars I still go fill it up.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

I would get 130 ish mile going 80 ish mph before I hit my reserve I filled up everyday when I got home. I have a spare fuel can now that I carry so I can try out how far the reserve gets me. This is been a topic before I think some guys/gals are getting well over 50 mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/fz-07

I only put 2 gallons in when my light starts flashing also

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

bmwpowere36m3
Sit on the motorcycle during and stand it up (don't rest it on the kickstand) during fillup.

That's a good one too... I don't get "off" my bike when filling up. Pull up to the pump, prepay with card, open filler, stand the bike upright and straddle it and fill'er up.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I would get 130 ish mile going 80 ish mph before I hit my reserve I filled up everyday when I got home. I have a spare fuel can now that I carry so I can try out how far the reserve gets me. This is been a topic before I think some guys/gals are getting well over 50 mpg  
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/fz-07

I only put 2 gallons in when my light starts flashing also

I do the same thing, I bet people laugh when they see 3.xx previously pumped. 

I've calculated my mileage many times and I get 55-60 on highway and 43-48 in city.

Also, like others have said: Stand bike up when filling.

Also also, you have to hold the end of the nozzle up at the opening of the fuel filler ring to get a full fill.

Also also also, it's impossible to fully fill the 3.7. If you fill to the fuel filler ring, there is an air gap at the top. It's supposed to be there, but sacrifices a little fuel volume.

Also also also also, I usually go to 30-40 miles on my fuel reserve (trip F) and am still only able to put 3.1-3.3ish gallons in. I need to ride with a small gas can and see how far I can actually go.

You asked why it feels like the gas goes so quickly. Well, it doesn't! :) I think all motorcycle fuel guages are biased to the bottom half. The first half of the tank seems to go quickly because the fuel gauge moves faster. Was like this on my last two bikes too. If you track how many miles to half and then how many miles to about 30 on F trip, I'm guessing the top half of the fuel gauge has less miles.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I think all motorcycle fuel guages are biased to the bottom half. The first half of the tank seems to go quickly because the fuel gauge moves faster. Was like this on my last two bikes too. If you track how many miles to half and then how many miles to about 30 on F trip, I'm guessing the top half of the fuel gauge has less miles.

It's due to the shape of the tank. At halfway and below you have less volume than halfway and above. Most gas gauges are linear so they don't take the change in volume into account.

I personally fill up when f trip starts to flash and I fill it to the bottom of metal ring don't pay attention to how much fuel is actually going into tank.

Sounds normal OP. I average 48 to 53 mpg. Seems like there at least a gallon left when the last bar starts flashing.

• Global Moderator

I would not recommend standing the bike up to fuel unless you are planning on riding for a while right away. There is more chance that it will expand and overflow of it is overfilled and then parked somewhere warm or sunny.

Archived