The MT-07 Forum

Suspension bolt question

br4nd0n

I have a need to replace the bolt (part [HASH]90105-10212-00) that connects the top half of the rear shock to the frame. I have a class 12.9 steel black oil finished socket cap bolt and wanted to know if using it would be a problem. I've read that 12.9 is really strong, but it can be brittle and don't want the bolt to snap on me. I also wanted to know if the type of metal and finish would cause any weird corrosion problems. I have no knowledge in this area (most automotive things) and was hoping someone who is experienced with this could chime in.

bmwpowere36m3

You mean to the engine? Either way 12.9 grade fastener will be fine, 10.9 would be sufficient as well. The "problem" with black-oxide fasteners is they'll rust very quickly… especially when exposed to the elements. It wont affect their strength (purely surface), it'll just look bad and possibly cause rusty stains nearby. I avoid black-oxide fasteners for almost everything… expect where I didn't really care looks-wise or "indoor" use.

I would get another bolt from the dealer (can't be to expensive) or from a good fastener supplier (like Grainer, Fastenal and McMaster are big ones, NAPA might even have them). Get the appropriate length, pitch and zinc coated (either silver or yellow/gold).

*EDIT* I also wouldn't used a socket head, if by that you mean the one with an internal allen/hex.  Use a regular hex head bolt.

Yeah, I guess it does connect to the engine now that I look at it. Anyways, I need the bolt to have an allen/hex cap because I have a cylindrical piece that goes around it and it is too narrow to get a normal socket inside. Without an allen/hex cap I won't be able to tighten the bolt down.

bmwpowere36m3

What cylindrical piece? Well, finding socket head/allen bolts that are zinc plated will be more difficult (especially metric and that length). Likely will need to look online… sucks, but I would over installing a black-oxide one. I've looked locally when in need of a metric zinc plated allen for my cars and had a tough-time finding them.

Have you seen a Bursig Side Stand? The receiver for the top half of that gets attached to the top half of the rear shock. That cylindrical receiver is too narrow for a normal socket head. Originally, I was without the bolt needed to mount it. I ended up purchasing the bolt I mentioned in my earlier post a while back and thought I should ask before trying to use it. If this bolt doesn't work out, I may have to find someone who can sell me the bolt that Bursig supplies for their side stand.

pattonme, I actually got mine from svracingparts a while ago and it didn't come with the bolt. I have yet to put this thing together and was hoping to finally do it.

bmwpowere36m3

I would contact the seller... I'd imagine the part should come with any hardware required to mount it.

Archived