The MT-07 Forum

Joe Rocket?...

blackout

• Premium Member

Generally, is Joe Rocket a good brand for leathers?  My local Yamaha dealer carries this brand, so it makes sense to stick with them if their products are good.

Thanks!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I have a Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 and I am very happy with it. Now its a textile, but all in all it is a hell of jacket for the money. With liner it is very warm and when vents are open very cool. Armor is good and the fit is good. I am a fan. You could spend more but I think I will buy more of the joe rocket stuff in future. No experience with their leather but I am planning to try some next. Only complaint I have with mine is that bugs are hell on a textile jacket. Much easier to keep a leather jacket clean.

Dan

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I was just looking at new jackets, and I had my eye on a Joe Rocket UFO 2.0...until I tried it on. It feels cheap, and the fitment is weird. It was cut high in the front, like higher than it should be, and it felt really loose. The pads didn't sit in the shoulders like they're supposed to either.

I tried on an Icon that was sitting next to it and that's what I went with. $50 more, but I definitely feel like I got what my wife paid for (lol). Better fit, finish, and the armor sits where it should. Granted both of these jackets were textile, but I feel every bit as safe riding with this as I did the old Alpinestar leather jacket I used to have (that fit like crap because it was a 44 and I'm a 42).

• Global Moderator

I have a Joe Rocket Atomic 4 textile jacket, which I like. I have no experience with their leather stuff. My leather jacket is an Alpinestars, which I would highly recommend.

I have both a Joe Rocket MotoGP leather jacket and a textile jacket from them. Both of them were purchased when I had my old bike back in 2005. They're still being used today, daily, and they look/feel still good as new. I even lowsided in the textile jacket, and high sided in the leather one. Both held up great in crashes, and not even much wear to the jacket themselves. Also they did their job and my upper body walked away unscathed both times! That may help to attest how much I love their products.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Premium Member

I recommend finding out what grade of leather its made from. Do a bit of research on the different grains/grades. Placing trust in "leather" that is in actuality cheap shety garbage and then going down for a nice long slide....  
You probably need that butt for slapping and sitting and walking and some such stuff. :D

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

ParticleCannon

Phoenix 5.0, mostly because it comes in "tall" sizes. At a slim 6'5" with broad shoulders I went XL-Tall and it fits beautifully, however I can't gain any weight if I want to put more than a sweater under the weather liner. If it happens though I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again for future-fat-me.

bmwpowere36m3

I don't have personal experience with Joe Rocket... but I think they offer different levels of quality. Some of their stuff is definitely cheap and sold cheap. I tried a few of their mesh jackets a while ago and was not impressed.

Check Revzilla out... always great info and reviews and I buy most of my stuff there. Sometime you find good deals on closeouts: Rider's Discount and NewEnough Gear are great sites and sometimes you find really good deals. I picked up my Cortech leather jacket from them for $170 and it awesome. Thick leather, armor, liner, no crazy design....

How much you want to spend? For my next jacket I'd be looking at Alpinestars, Dainese, or Rev'it.

• Premium Member

Good info, thanks all.

I already have one of their textile jackets and like it so far. I'm looking into track days either late this season or next year, so I started looking into boots and a full one piece leather suit. $630 for a full suit from Joe Rocket sounded good to me price wise, but I wasn't sure about quality.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

As far as Joe Rocket in general I bought a pair of their ankle high riding boots and a few months after buying them one of the rubber straps in the buckling system ripped in half when I was putting them on. Apparently, the tiniest of unnoticed cuts is all it takes for a tiny cut on rubber to rip completely in half when you pull on it. It's a simple design flaw, wrong material for the job. If leather had been used instead of rubber that wouldn't have happened. I know, it's not a jacket but it does reflect on their choice of materials in their products, it comes down to quality. Something to think about, maybe.

[attachment id=1591" thumbnail="1][attachment id=1596" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

I recommend finding out what grade of leather its made from. Do a bit of research on the different grains/grades. Placing trust in "leather" that is in actuality cheap shety garbage and then going down for a nice long slide....   You probably need that butt for slapping and sitting and walking and some such stuff. :D

Exactly, when reading a lot of reviews alone about different leather jackets you will find experienced people saying this or that jacket has thin, cheap leather, better for looks than sliding around in. I have a 30 yr. old reverse pig skin leather jacket, looks beautiful, feels great but it's almost paper thin.

Beemer

As far as Joe Rocket in general I bought a pair of their ankle high riding boots and a few months after buying them one of the rubber straps in the buckling system ripped in half when I was putting them on. Apparently, the tiniest of unnoticed cuts is all it takes for a tiny cut on rubber to rip completely in half when you pull on it. It's a simple design flaw, wrong material for the job. If leather had been used instead of rubber that wouldn't have happened. I know, it's not a jacket but it does reflect on their choice of materials in their products, it comes down to quality. Something to think about, maybe. 

[attachment thumbnail=1" id="1591][attachment thumbnail=1" id="1596]

How tight did you have them set to?

I've had mine over a year now and they still look brand new.

How tight did you have them set to?

I've had mine over a year now and they still look brand new.
On the tightest setting you can't buckle them down but yet they wouldn't break if you tried so it has nothing to do with how tight I had my buckle set. As stated, a small cut was somehow made and it grew larger every time pressure was put on it. It's like how a thread comes undone and just keeps unraveling with time.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Too bad about the boots, but more importantly, its just blurry enough I cant tell, but tell me that FZ heart finger tattoo is real... if so, I like the cut of your jib sir. Awesome. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Too bad about the boots, but more importantly, its just blurry enough I cant tell, but tell me that FZ heart finger tattoo is real... if so, I like the cut of your jib sir. Awesome.
Nah, it's not real. I just wanted to see if anyone would notice it. I'd like to say you're the winner of something being you're the first to notice .... I feel so cheap now.  ;)

Beemer

• Premium Member

It even had the blotchy inconsistent look that ink in finger tattoos have. A really well done mock up!

Archived