The MT-07 Forum

Possibly trading in my FZ8 for FZ07

tacklebahx

I keep hearing that the 07 is a "torque monster" better for low/mid rpm cruising...which is basically my riding style commuting to work (50 mph roads, lots of twisties and big sweeping curves). Compared to my '13 fz8 which is kinda gutless until you hit 6500 rpm then it takes off like a rocket.

What I don't get is if you compare the dyno charts, the FZ8 makes as much or more torque than the fz07 basically everywhere. So I don't see why the 07 is known to be torquey since I know my fz8 is not. I used to have a kawasaki klr650 which I thought had ok torque but maybe that's because it had no top end, just low/midrange and that's it.

Just trying to wrap my head around this. Test rides in my area are not an option so I just wouldn't want to be disappointed. I can't imagine the 07's are gutless because YouTube is full of guys ripping power wheelies on them no problem.

The fz09 is not really an option. I feel it would get me into the kind of trouble I got into when I rode supersports. Plus the taillight and the offset dash look like afterthoughts on the 09. Just looking for a fun, torquey, lightweight bike and the 07 looks like a good match. But if I make the switch I want it to feel like a lateral move, not a step down, from my fz8.

Comments,opinions? Thanks.

-Mark

Maybe the weight is a factor. But I can't answer unless I've physically ridden an FZ8. I'm certain there are members on here who has ridden them though.

Where do you live? There's always that option of finding a member and trying out the bike while they ride yours.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Even though your bike shows it can make good torque at 8k rpm, typically, inline fours don't make as much torque at lower rpm's like a twin does and that 70 extra pounds on your FZ8 isn't helping a thing. The gearing may make some difference as well. 

Beemer

What you are overlooking is that the FZ8 is geared to do 63 mph @ 10K rpms in 1st gear, and the FZ-07 is geared to do 50 mph. That's a 26% difference. Then add in that the FZ8, all-up with 160 lbs rider, weighs 12% more.  That's a 41% tq advantage, if the dyno charts look the same.

For the ZX-6R below, I bet the FZ-07 is simply throwing down more tq/hp in the lower rpm band, as 1st gear is extremely similar.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

My brother rides a 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 and it makes 2 lbs. more torque than the FZ-07, but when riding it, you wouldn't know that, because like your FZ-8, it is gutless in the lower band.

In order to have fun on an Inline-4 bike, you'd have to be riding at give me a ticket speeds or a liter bike. Last Saturday I rode my brothers Ninja for the first time and it was buttery smooth, but not as fun as the FZ at anything lower than 90 MPH. Lane changing, passing cars, you name it, was better on the FZ at lower speeds besides brakes and turn in haha.

The lack of low end torque on 600 class inline-4s are so beginner friendly, if not for the massive kick in power up top, I'd say they're better beginner bikes. Even when the power kicked in up top I wasn't terrified, but then again this is on the freeway and not using the bike for its intended usage (track riding).

For the street, my 2 cents if you take anything from this rant, the FZ-07 is a BETTER street/commuter bike than any SS in terms of usability and comfort. Of course that's only my opinion. I still would want to own a SS for those spirited twisty roads/track days. Even then, I still want to track my FZ.

SigSide.jpg

I live in northern central MD. I'm sure gearing and weight are a factor as well for comparisons sake.

My buddy just bought 12 fz8 because he was after a naked bike after i got my 07.
We swapped bikes for quite a few miles so I can tell him what I thought of his bike. The 07 is definitely way more playful and way easier to maneuver around.

Power and torque wise I didn't really like fz8. It almost felt like it has a turbo that kicks in at high rpms. I would crack the throttle wide open and it wouldn't really go anywhere until it hit those rpms and then is like holy crap I better hold on.
Where the fz07 feels like it has a much more smoother and consistent power band.

I live where there's a lot of mountains, curves and back roads which I think is more of the fz07s habitat

Fz8 here,

I have a friend with an FZ07 (that I found for him, because I wanted it but already got the FZ8 for a good deal) so I had the pleasure of riding my favorite bike. The FZ07 is/maybe somewhat was my dream bike. I only rode it for about 30 minutes or so, but I've been on the 8 for some time.

The 8 is more heavier, with almost no torque at low rpm (what's a wheelie?). The 07 can pop a wheelie at any given time (I think?).
There is a lot more vibration going on when riding the 07, it almost feels like my Honda CBR250R. The 8 feels a lot more solid to me, I'm 5'11", 180lbs.
After the 8, the 07 feels a bit too small, too light for me. Opinions change over time, we'll see.
For my city traffic riding, the response at low rpm is perfect - it gives me the ability to maneuver the heavier bike more easily. I felt every single bump on the 07 in comparison to the 8.

I'm sleepy, but I hope this helps.
If I could have both - I would. Not sure I'd switch to 07, but I do love this community.
OPrhB7y.jpg

#weridenyc
2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
IXIL Hyperlow XL L3X Exhaust
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

Truthfully I'm confused by dyno stats as well. The FZ09 hovers in at low 60lb ft torque, yet there are many, many motorcycles that exceed this amount going to 80lb range, yet no mention of torqueness on any of those, and its quite clear the FZ09 to anyone is a torque demon. There are apparently a whole bunch of other factors in play and you can't just compare the dynocharts of 2 bikes.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I think some of it is how suddenly the torque comes on, vs smoothly rolling on with throttle. Static dyno doesn't really speak to throttle response -- it only shows full throttle bottom to top.  There's no replacement for actually riding each bike.

Truthfully I'm confused by dyno stats as well. The FZ09 hovers in at low 60lb ft torque, yet there are many, many motorcycles that exceed this amount going to 80lb range, yet no mention of torqueness on any of those, and its quite clear the FZ09 to anyone is a torque demon. There are apparently a whole bunch of other factors in play and you can't just compare the dynocharts of 2 bikes.
The FZ09 is definitely a beast. The FZ07 is a blast to ride with a good amount of torque. The weight to power ratio make it a blast to ride. The 09 is not really a smooth bike to ride around, the 07 win that battle. I ride with a FZ8 once... I had to wait for him like it was not funny lol

Here my numbers with the flash/exhaust.

6c36b0d743c9cedcadd107e2d875ac62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I'm gonna call around to see what I could get for trading in my fz8. I know I could get more money if I sell it privately but that can be sketchy and take forever. If a dealer offers me 2 grand, forget it. But maybe 4500-5 grand ok. The fz07's prices now are about what I paid for my fz8 nearly 2 years ago as a leftover 2013 model. Let's see what happens here.

Check the kbb trade in value, that's what the dealer's typically start at since it's usually on the low side.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

twowheeladdict
Check the kbb trade in value, that's what the dealer's typically start at since it's usually on the low side.
In my area, lending agencies only look at NADA. KBB and NADA can vary widely. I just looked up an '09 Nomad 1700 for a friend. NADA put the average retail at $6800. KBB put retail at $8000. KBB trade in was equivalent to NADA low retail.  Of course many dealers use black book, especially if it is a model that is not a big seller. 

2015 FZ-07

The FZ09 is definitely a beast. The FZ07 is a blast to ride with a good amount of torque. The weight to power ratio make it a blast to ride. The 09 is not really a smooth bike to ride around, the 07 win that battle. I ride with a FZ8 once... I had to wait for him like it was not funny lol 
Here my numbers with the flash/exhaust.

6c36b0d743c9cedcadd107e2d875ac62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

:'-(

#weridenyc
2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
IXIL Hyperlow XL L3X Exhaust
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

That's so true because there are two different prices for vehicles. The price you can expect to get from a private sale and the price you can expect from a dealer and the dealer's price is always lower. I haven't looked at KBB for his bike but I doubt a dealer gives him more than $4k because they have to buy low and sell higher to make their profit. 

Beemer

Kbb said $3750 for trade-in value on a 13 fz8 in good condition. On Nada I could only find the retail value which was like $5500. I would consider mine to be excellent condition, all stock except for a Yoshi fender eliminator, no damage, and 2700 miles.

I consider KBB values to be at least 10% too high. The NADA figure you cited strikes me as reasonable but depends on local demand and regional pricing power. Unless the FZ8 is hot in your market you can expect the dealer to offer you a disgusting number.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
I consider KBB values to be at least 10% too high. The NADA figure you cited strikes me as reasonable but depends on local demand and regional pricing power. Unless the FZ8 is hot in your market you can expect the dealer to offer you a disgusting number.
My view is have it below KBB to sell it because if someone has to take out a loan they can easily get it and never trade in to a dealer unless you don't care what you get and just want to dump it. The only thing I ever made out on was my Forester I traded it in on what owed 18,000 to step up in the WRX. That's the only time I felt like It was even.
Its almost better to keep the FZ 8 IMO Having more than one bike is a good thing.... I like to change things up a little and if I have some one come over and they want to ride I have one here for them. Just a thought

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Kbb said $3750 for trade-in value on a 13 fz8 in good condition. On Nada I could only find the retail value which was like $5500. I would consider mine to be excellent condition, all stock except for a Yoshi fender eliminator, no damage, and 2700 miles.
I knew it ... and they'll turn around and try to sell it for up around $5500. With a $1750 difference maybe you should give yourself a couple weeks or more to try and sell it privately. If it's as nice and with low miles as you say it just may go fairly quickly. I put a truck up for sale on Craig's list once and within the first hour of it being listed I had three people call about it. Two of them showed up less than an hour later and one watched the other loading it on a trailer as he pulled up. I couldn't have been happier! Good luck whatever you choose to do!

Beemer

A few years ago, i spent an afternoon riding a FZ8. I really liked the bike, But as a previous owner of a FZ6, i was not amazed. Yeah, the 8 was torquier than the 6, not surprisingly. But i didn't had more fun with the 8. I also owned a KLR650. Boy that i hated this shaker. Forget all the dyno sheets. The best is the feeling when riding. The 07 is a bit on a small size compared the the 6 and 8. I'm 5'-10", i have more fun with the FZ07. The suspension is the weak point. But, i'm riding solo (160 lbs) and the cost of the 07 is way cheeper than my previous 2004 FZ6.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Archived