The MT-07 Forum

Want some help finding a decent armored mesh jacket.

JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar

I am not familiar with mesh jackets at all so I'm hoping one of you more experienced guys might point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a decent mesh riding jacket for $250 or less. Something that is breathable yet armored, and allows me to layer over if there's rain or cold mornings.

Today we had a pretty huge heatwave out of the blue and I was stuck riding in my full rain/winter leathers with no ventilation in 90F heat. I almost got heat stroke I think, because by the time I got home from doing errands in town I was light headed and a bit dizzy, not to mention the copious amounts of sweating.

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

Only have experience with the Scorpion Hat Trick 2 which is a mesh/textile mix. I've been where you are now looking for an affordable 4 season and this was the best I could find around that $200 range. The mesh is great during the heat, feels like you aren't wearing anything after you pick up a small amount of speed. It comes with a wind proof/water proof(or water resistant don't remember) liner and another thermal which I never use since I just use a sweater instead.

JuggernautOfWar

That one seems to be totally unavailable on Revzilla since it's been in closeout for a while now. I'm looking at this Olympia jacket right now. It's on the higher end of what I'd like to pay, but I can manage it if it would actually work well for me.

I am planning to use this jacket for summer and even in the winter with added layers underneath, and I've already got a complete full body rain suit for when it gets crazy. I think it will work out well for me, but I have also heard from a couple riders that if it's my only jacket I wear year-round I should get a leather jacket and just suck it up in the summer time. I think this Olympia would provide enough protection though since it's got CE certified armor all over the place.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-switchback-2-jacket

2015 Red FZ-07

• Premium Member

Forgive me for sounding like a dik here but, more than you'd like to pay? I know everyone has a budget, but just for starters what's your hospital bill going to be? Suck it up and spend the money on decent gear.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

I had a textile jacket and found out I prefer my AGV leather jacket and pants... I use em year round...Will layer under jacket for the fall months in Michigan...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I like my Alpinestars t-gp r air jacket really good air flow and decent armor if you upgrade the back protector. Unfortunately all jackets sold in the US need the upgraded back protection. I've never been down with it so I can't speak to how well it holds up in a crash.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JuggernautOfWar
Forgive me for sounding like a dik here but, more than you'd like to pay? I know everyone has a budget, but just for starters what's your hospital bill going to be? Suck it up and spend the money on decent gear.
That's not really constructive at all. I think it's pretty clear from me starting this thread that I am well aware of the dangers of riding and the need for PPE. I could have just shrugged it off, not spent a penny up front, and gone full squid in a T shirt but here I am trying to improve my situation by protecting myself. I am on a budget. I simply cannot spend more than $250 right now with the way that work and bills are while going to school full time and volunteering as a reserve deputy while I'm trying to start a career. 
"Suck it up and spend more money on decent gear" without even offering any alternative gear suggestions is just useless. Believe me, I'd LOVE to be able to spend tons of money on protective gear since it is my life on the line here, but I cannot. I can't fabricate money unfortunately, and yet I love riding and will continue to do so in cheaper yet still protective gear.

2015 Red FZ-07

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I have the ICON Citadel mesh jacket in Hi-Viz color for summer riding. It has a removable vest liner to help with those cooler summer nights. The vest liner is not meant to be worn on its own. The jacket comes with D3O CE elbow, shoulder and back impact protectors. I purchased it on closeout last summer, but Revzilla has a few black and charcoal colors in stock for $240.  It flows a lot of air to help during those hot summer days, a well made jacket that runs a little big in its sizing. Since most jackets don't come with a back protector and this jacket comes with a D30 CE certified back protector, consider what comes with each jacket you consider. www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-citadel-jacket
When I googled this jacket, I saw DennisKirk was selling it for $120, there were also a few other stores selling it at that price point.  

• Premium Member
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/73448/i/fly-street-flux-air-mesh-jacket

This is the upgrade for the back
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/57986/i/icon-d30-back-pad

That is my summer jacket I swap out my back protector form jacket to jacket. It has like a rain liner that you can take out. I'm with you most guys I know don't have much for gear, and I'm getting what I can afford. All gear does is protect you from minor accidents anyway after that its just a sack the meat is in lol. Don't get me wrong I always wear my gear.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

I have this one: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-coolpro-ii-jacket

It works great, needs back armor upgraded. Fit was on the larger side (I am 5'10" at about 140 lbs).

I, too, was on a budget when I bought it. 

I have since purchased some discounted bohn-armor pants (http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/) to wear under my regular jeans. I can't afford the kevlar jeans for now; need a pay raise.

Hope this helps.

bernard1414

I just picked up the Astars viper air jacket. Its great for a sub $200 textile jacket. Provides great airflow for hot weather and great wind blocking with the wind liner for colder mornings or cooler days. Fits great too! HOWEVER, this is not my only jacket. I do wear a Astars GP Plus leather about 90% of the time. I would recommend for you not to pull the trigger on a sub $250 textile jacket, and instead save an extra $100-200 more and buy a great leather jacket that you can wear much more frequently. I don't know what climate you ride in, but saving up for a well built and safer leather jacket would be my suggestion. Just my $.02. Hope it helps, good luck and stay safe!

pineappleunderthesea

I have the Revit Airwave (now replaced by Airwave 2) which falls within your budget. The Revit GTR Air would also qualify. I like my Airwave, I upgraded the back protection which rounds off the safety features quite well.

603nytroxtx

I love my Astars Viper Air jacket. 147 Reviews from Revzilla at 4.5 out of 5. Viper Air Jacket. $200. Make sure to buy the upgraded back plate. It's breathes really well. Almost too well honestly. I can't wear it anything under 70 degrees F.
 alpinestars_viper_air_jacket_black_black_black_detail.jpg

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

• Premium Member
That's not really constructive at all. I think it's pretty clear from me starting this thread that I am well aware of the dangers of riding and the need for PPE. I could have just shrugged it off, not spent a penny up front, and gone full squid in a T shirt but here I am trying to improve my situation by protecting myself. I am on a budget. I simply cannot spend more than $250 right now with the way that work and bills are while going to school full time and volunteering as a reserve deputy while I'm trying to start a career. 
"Suck it up and spend more money on decent gear" without even offering any alternative gear suggestions is just useless. Believe me, I'd LOVE to be able to spend tons of money on protective gear since it is my life on the line here, but I cannot. I can't fabricate money unfortunately, and yet I love riding and will continue to do so in cheaper yet still protective gear.

Fair enough, then go with the olympia, it has decent reviews. Just my humble opinion that it's hard to find something "worth while" at that price range. I suppose Im rather concerned about my skin and project that opinion rather strongly. No offense meant and youre right I should have offered a suggestion. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

The best reviews I have ever seen for a mesh jacket that actually protects from losing skin is the Vanson mesh jackets, found in their website. The worst reviews I have seen for Mesh Jackets are the almost all of the big name brand mesh jackets found on Revzilla and the other super stores. Mesh is comfy on hot days but offer little to no protection. I use a Klim apex jacket with lots of padding but is has vents and large vent pockets. Hot at stop lights but vents like crazy when moving. When doing 60 mph look down at the asphalt sandpaper road and imagine any mesh stopping it from burning your skin away from your bones in a slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pineappleunderthesea
The best reviews I have ever seen for a mesh jacket that actually protects from losing skin is the Vanson mesh jackets, found in their website. The worst reviews I have seen for Mesh Jackets are the almost all of the big name brand mesh jackets found on Revzilla and the other super stores. Mesh is comfy on hot days but offer little to no protection. I use a Klim apex jacket with lots of padding but is has vents and large vent pockets. Hot at stop lights but vents like crazy when moving. When doing 60 mph look down at the asphalt sandpaper road and imagine any mesh stopping it from burning your skin away from your bones in a slide.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Before buying my mesh jacket I had also looked into the safety aspect, and it seems to be average: portions may rip during a fall, but you should be okay (looking in discussion forums posting where people had gone down with mesh--for some people the fiber had actually melted during the slide!).   In general, textiles can be less protective than leathers.  I believe leathers could hold up to something like 80-90 feet, textiles around 30 feet, and jeans are basically 3-4 feet (don't remember where I saw that).  So if the mesh jacket is made of a good fiber that is tightly wound, I'd expect it to be in the textile range, maybe a little less.  I've seen mesh jackets that were very "holey", you could clearly see your skin through it:  that's probably bad.  But most of the jackets mentioned here are rather tightly wound together.   
But yes, leather is likely better.

On a well-designed mesh jacket, the mesh panels are placed in non-impact zones. Impact zones are covered in non-mesh material, usually 600+ denier cordura or ballistic nylon or whatever proprietary textile blend the manufacturer uses. Remember, there is also armor in the impact zones, so even when the textile wears away, the armor is still between your skin and the road. This is why it's important for a jacket to fit snugly, so they armor stays in place during a slide.

If you are unsure about a manufacturer, Google "crashed wearing BRAND". Should turn up some info and you can judge the outcome yourself. Some brands put customer crash stories (the good stories, of course, so take with a grain of skepticism) on their websites (ex. Joe Rocket).

Even leather race suits are not 100% 1.x mil leather all over. They have thinner flex panels, perforated panels, etc., in non-impact areas. I saw a great infographic recently that showed "safe zones" (where non-protective materials could be used) on the body, but now of course I can't find it again. This isn't the one, but here is something similar:

7c27030badc412723c2e10845b218afa.jpg

And if you have 15 minutes, here's some good information about textiles and leather:

http://www.allstateridernews.com/bike/leather-vs-textile-riding-jackets-part-2

http://www.allstateridernews.com/bike/leather-vs-textile-riding-jackets-part-1

A little off-topic, but I think there is some misinformation in this thread, and I just want to add some things to the discussion that aren't opinions. And I don't think OP should be getting crap for wanting to wear an armored mesh jacket for everyday street riding in FLORIDA. Heat stroke is a real thing, and it often hits before you realize it.

I'm actually happy with a Joe Rocket Phoenix. Armor could of course be better but the airflow is great.

• Global Moderator

I have the A-Stars Viper air jacket
With the lining out the airflow is awesome and in phoenix, AZ that's pretty much all that matters

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 3 weeks later...
autoentropy

I have the Icon Resistance Overlord in white. Got it for $250. Tons of armor and it matches the bike  ;)

icon_overlord_resistance_jacket_zoom.jpg

twowheeladdict

Olympia makes quality gear with the right amount of protection where needed combined with good ventilation.

Sliders has gear that combines kevlar, with protection in the right places plus enough mesh to keep you comfortable while you are moving.

2015 FZ-07

Archived