The MT-07 Forum

Want some help finding a decent armored mesh jacket.

JuggernautOfWar

here's what I'm currently wearing: http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/jackets-vests/motorcycle-jackets/cortech-gx-sport-air-3-motorcycle-jacket

this jacket looks awesome, and unlike other mesh jackets I own that just flow a ton of air, this jacket can actually keep you warm on those cool mornings/nights without a ton of layers underneath. It has an inner waterproof/water resistant liner that makes all the difference in the world.

The best reviews I have ever seen for a mesh jacket that actually protects from losing skin is the Vanson mesh jackets, found in their website. The worst reviews I have seen for Mesh Jackets are the almost all of the big name brand mesh jackets found on Revzilla and the other super stores. Mesh is comfy on hot days but offer little to no protection. I use a Klim apex jacket with lots of padding but is has vents and large vent pockets. Hot at stop lights but vents like crazy when moving. When doing 60 mph look down at the asphalt sandpaper road and imagine any mesh stopping it from burning your skin away from your bones in a slide.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive got the Apex too. I love it but I came here because I'm curious about mesh. The last few days have been brutal for this time of year here in SE Tennessee. Like you said, the airflow while in motion is great, but at standstills, it's hot. I'm thinking there is probably no jacket that isn't hot in the summer. I'll probably just stick with the Apex for my year round jacket. It's very warm in the cooler temps. Do you use the apex year round?

I have a Vanson mesh jacket and rode with it last summer. It's the best mesh jacket I have ever owned and there is a testimonial of a guy on their website who wrecked and skid at high speed and it didn't melt.l and saved his skin.

There was a guy on another forum who posted pics of his big brand name jacket that melted into his flesh and his right arm was bare down to his skin. The jacket company actually sued him and he was forced to delete the post and pics.

I seriously recommend the Vanson mesh. It isn't pretty with designs or flashing lights or anything but it is supposed to be the strongest non melting mesh material available.

In fact, all of Vanson's stuff is good and they have been protecting racers and riders longer than almost any company out there. You can also have them custom tailor a jacket or suit to fit your perfectly.

• Premium Member

I cannot respond about your question (jacket), BUT I can regarding riding light-headed or dizzy. It's not worth it... to you, your loved ones, OR others on the streets and byways! Stop and cool off, period! Trust me on this, I know what of I speak! Be safe!!!

Guest ChicagoAJ

I just picked up a Joe Rocket UFO 2.0 mesh/textile jacket. It's awesome. With the liner in it's good for a minimum temperature of 50 degrees, even in the high 50s I'm a little chilly. With the liner out I would assume it'd be super cool in 90+ degree weather once you're moving. It's got a lot of armor too. Shoulder pads, elbow pads that extend halfway down my forearms, and a huge back plate/spine protector. My $400 Sedici leather jacket didn't even come with a back plate/spine protector or place to put one. 

I picked this up randomly while browsing eBay and someone had one for $84.99 buy it now with free shipping. Couldn't believe it, picked it up immediately and definitely do not regret it. I think it's $179.99 everywhere new. 

rlz22g.png

captainfz07

This is below your $250 budget and hits all the right notes, I live in socal, and this jacket feels like you have a shirt on lol yet offers ce level protection and also liners for unexpected chill, cold, and surprise rain. It's on closeout, got mine in 2 days.

I have a Scorpion EXO mesh jacket that breathes well at speed but most mesh jackets do that. I do suggest you take a look at some of Bohn Body Armor's jackets/pants. The jackets appear to be lighter than your standard textile jacket which = cooler and more comfortable. Now what to do if it rains when you're wearing your jacket??? Most liners in jackets are only water 'resistant' (not water proof) at best and you'll get wet after a short time,  so I also recommend keeping a good, Frog Toggs rain suit handy. They're totally waterproof and they breath, unlike most waterproof rain suits that retain body heat and moisture and make you feel like you're in a sauna. Good luck!

Beemer

designslucid

I've always wore the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, since it's V1 model. I personally liked the 3rd version best, but this new one is pretty solid. Pads all over the place, shoulders, elbows, back, tailbone.

I've had two buddies go down in them and they were no worse for wear on their upper bodies. One wrecked at 75, the other at 40 and slid into a cliff face.

For the money and my personal preference, the Phoenix is the one for me.

I am not familiar with mesh jackets at all so I'm hoping one of you more experienced guys might point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a decent mesh riding jacket for $250 or less. Something that is breathable yet armored, and allows me to layer over if there's rain or cold mornings. 
Today we had a pretty huge heatwave out of the blue and I was stuck riding in my full rain/winter leathers with no ventilation in 90F heat. I almost got heat stroke I think, because by the time I got home from doing errands in town I was light headed and a bit dizzy, not to mention the copious amounts of sweating.

There are lots of options. The big question is, what's your build like? 
Do you have a tummy? or are you lean? Different brands fit completely different. I had to wear Alpinestars (Dainese was still too big as I'm 5'8" 153lbs no fat=slender chap) I have been in love with ICON for so long, but they are cut for most Americans, so they are roomy in the gut and arms. Even the small was too big for me, and then I saw the light!!!! I ordered an all black womens size medium Anthem 2 mesh jacket. It fits me JUST like an Alpinestars cut. Also, Icon didn't add extra material for titties, so it fits just like a mens jacket(and looks better than the mens option). NO ONE I have met can tell it's not a mens.

So choose a brand appropriate to your body size. American or Euro cut? Belly or not. And if you can find a manly looking woman's version, you can wear an american cut brand even if you are slim.

Forgive me for sounding like a dik here but, more than you'd like to pay? I know everyone has a budget, but just for starters what's your hospital bill going to be? Suck it up and spend the money on decent gear.
That's not really constructive at all. I think it's pretty clear from me starting this thread that I am well aware of the dangers of riding and the need for PPE. I could have just shrugged it off, not spent a penny up front, and gone full squid in a T shirt but here I am trying to improve my situation by protecting myself. I am on a budget. I simply cannot spend more than $250 right now with the way that work and bills are while going to school full time and volunteering as a reserve deputy while I'm trying to start a career. 
"Suck it up and spend more money on decent gear" without even offering any alternative gear suggestions is just useless. Believe me, I'd LOVE to be able to spend tons of money on protective gear since it is my life on the line here, but I cannot. I can't fabricate money unfortunately, and yet I love riding and will continue to do so in cheaper yet still protective gear.

I agree.  That comment reminds me of back in the day, when I had some buddies who were loaded and I was broke and they just couldn't comprehend what being on a budget means. 
Anyway, check out www.leatherup.com

I bought an armored mesh jacket for $99 and found a nice pair of gauntlet gloves for about $30.  That is as cheap as it's going to get.  Just FYI, sizes run a little small so order one size up.

Fit is very important. Since majority of us ride upright. Jacket cut is also important. You want it to be snug and not restrictive. I chose that jacket because its touring, regular cut and not "sportbike" cut. A comfortable rider is a faster and safer rider. Plus, you will appreciate the jacket and wear it a lot more.

I have a Dainese Air Frame jacket and Dainese Drake trousers, I'm very happy with them, they fit perfectly and flow loads of air and have solid armour in them

captainfz07
This is below your $250 budget and hits all the right notes, I live in socal, and this jacket feels like you have a shirt on lol yet offers ce level protection and also liners for unexpected chill, cold, and surprise rain. It's on closeout, got mine in 2 days. 

this is the amazon link I forgot to post. very light jacket, air goes through you chest and comes out your back cooling you and keeping you dry, I dont sweat even on the hot days.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFAEUZO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00CFAEUZO&linkCode=as2&tag=themoe86200e-20&linkId=CCVLV7S6SWHDCPMC 

Archived