The MT-07 Forum

Check Engine Light, High Pitched Noise

Wolfbane

Hi All,

I started my bike today to head back to work after lunch, and noticed that I could hear a high pitched noise. Almost sounded like maybe it was the fuel pump (just a guess). I also had a check engine light on, and it was revving higher than normal, about 2k. I was shocked as I have not had even the slightest issue in a year and 2000km. ???

I revved it up just a bit, a few times to 4-5k and the high pitched noise increased with RPM. Maybe a minute later I heard a click, the bike idled down and the light went away and so did the noise.

Has anyone had this happen, or seen it on another thread?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Perhaps the starter switch was stuck. Mine's done it once, RIGHT after doing an oil change. Scared the hell out of me with the light being on. I don't remember the noise though, or the high rev. I only noticed it when I went to shut it down. As soon as I turned the key back on, it (re)started by itself.

- Andy

Thinking about it, that's possible i guess - I might do a test later when i get finished here. I'm going to feel like a moron if that's what it was, but that's definitely better than a fuel pump!

Perhaps the starter switch was stuck. Mine's done it once, RIGHT after doing an oil change. Scared the hell out of me with the light being on. I don't remember the noise though, or the high rev. I only noticed it when I went to shut it down. As soon as I turned the key back on, it (re)started by itself.
Annnnnnd that's exactly what it was *facepalm* I am glad it wasn't something else. Thanks Jeckler! (rofl)  

Guest Ralph

That switch is a curse, mine was sticky when new so striped and lubed
it but why they could not stick to what as worked for many years I
don't know, the 125 as better switches.

Higher than normal idle combined with a high pitch noise and the warning light - you had a vac leak. Even w/o the other 2 symptoms, a higher than normal idle is either a stuck throttle plate or a vac leak. Why it happened or how it resolved itself ??????

Higher than normal idle combined with a high pitch noise and the warning light - you had a vac leak. Even w/o the other 2 symptoms, a higher than normal idle is either a stuck throttle plate or a vac leak. Why it happened or how it resolved itself ??????
Well, I would've thought something else as well - To test the theory of the starter switch I fired it up and everything was normal. I pressed down on the switch and the "high pitched noise" was the starter being engaged, and the CE light comes on while the switch is depressed. As for the high idle - I think I was just wrong about that. When the bike is completely cool it starts off at around the 2k mark. 

The idle air control valve allows more air into the motor when the eco sees that the motor is cold and this results in a raised idle. If the motor is up to temp and the idle runs fast,it's usually an air leak somewhere.

It's a testament to how quiet this bike is that you can hear the starter with it's running. If the starter solenoid would stick closed and you hear that sound, well, the starter won't last long and neither would the battery.

Archived