The MT-07 Forum

Moto Guzzi v9: a disappointment?

tony

In my search of a 'perfect' bike I got very intrigued by the upcoming Moto Guzzi v9.  She's got the look, the style, the heritage, all hopefully leading to a great bike experience. And then I watched this:

I understand she ain't a spottbike, but this is disappointing. On an Fz07, these hairpins would give me ear-to-ear grins... Watching these guys struggle thru these at a snail speed was almost painful.  In the second video, the guy nearly runs off road, smack into a granite wall... Ok maybe he ain't Marquez, but I think the bike is just as much to blame...

So, it looks like v9s won't provide an engaging, spirited ride for many, and there will be many a corner where the bike will freak out way before the rider will :)

Guest 2wheeler

Funny you mention a Moto Guzzi as that brand is how I ended up buying my FZ-07...

I had an unbelievable desire to buy the Moto Guzzi V7 Stone as I think that bike looks freaking great! Well, MG is really good about test rides, so I rode the bike.

All I can say is that if you never have ridden a MG, as a motorcyclist, you owe it to yourself to ride one! I've ridden probably at least 100-200 motorcycles in my life and NOTHING was ever like a MG - their just weird! Imagine having the hood up on your car and revving a V block motor - remember how it shifted sideways... well take that sideways shift and add a drive shaft up and down movement to it - that's what it feels like on a MG. Of course once you are cruising on the road, it's not super noticable, but on/off idle and in corners it surely is. MG owners are totally use to it, and basically love it and are diehard fans.

Having said this, even though the bike weirded me out, I was still going to buy this bike. My sales person was this beautiful Hispanic woman (only a slight reason why I was going to buy the bike :) ), but I decided to wait a day for my decision. So I walked in the dealership hellbent on leaving with my V7 Stone, but sadly my sales lady was out sick that day. After determing that she would still get the commission, I sat down with their other sales person. In the end, this guy was such a jerk, there was no way I could buy this bike there - I mean a Grade  A mega-a..hole idiot! The next closest MG dealer was 50 miles away so I would have had to deal with these people. That's the problem with MG, so few dealerships.

By this time, I had an obsession with getting a new bike, so the new lust bike was the Ducati Scrambler which I also still really like. It was during my research for the Duc, that the FZ-07 came on my radar. I had seen it on the Yamaha website but never gave it a minute of time. Somebody in a Scrambler review mentioned the FZ which got me digging through the FZ reviews, and the rest is history!

No regrets on the FZ-07 purchase as this bike has reignited my love for motorcycling as it's just so darn fun to ride.

I was thinking hard on a V7 at one time. Low maintenance bike and extremely easy to service.

Few dealerships, and parts can be a problem getting. They are fairly pricey in Canada.

I was told they are really really gutless. That did it for me.

Good looking bikes though.

twowheeladdict

I have a '11 Moto Guzzi Cafe Classic. Awesome bike for what it is. Old school cool. Air cooled, shaft drive, amazing sound. Not a modern bike. It is engaging and fun to ride the speed limit.

Trying to compare the v7 to the fz-07, is like comparing a restored 65 mustang to a brand new mustang.
412036308.jpg
412036301.jpg

2015 FZ-07

Guest 2wheeler
So how is V7 ride compared to FZ07 ride? :) Not necessarily handling/power, but overall experience/feel?
There really is no comparison other than they are both motorcycles. The V7 is that much different! 
The difference between the FZ-07 and the V7 is greater than the difference between a modern four-stroke MX bike and a 70's two-stroke MX bike - it's that different IMHO.

Having said that, I would defintely own a MG as it's so weird to ride, that it's pretty cool. Seriously, I think everybody who rides motorcycle owes it to themself to ride one just for the experience.

In my search of a 'perfect' bike I got very intrigued by the upcoming Moto Guzzi v9.  She's got the look, the style, the heritage, all hopefully leading to a great bike experience. And then I watched this: 

I understand she ain't a spottbike, but this is disappointing. On an Fz07, these hairpins would give me ear-to-ear grins... Watching these guys struggle thru these at a snail speed was almost painful.  In the second video, the guy nearly runs off road, smack into a granite wall... Ok maybe he ain't Marquez, but I think the bike is just as much to blame...

So, it looks like v9s won't provide an engaging, spirited ride for many, and there will be many a corner where the bike will freak out way before the rider will :)

A V9 disappointing??

Absolutely, I've been waiting for MG to hot rod the V7, then news broke out on the new V9, and all they did was add 5hp 115cc,
Fit cheap wheels instead of wire spokes and cheap driveline like the V7. It's a garage queen< I love it for that, it's a real looker, the XS700 on the other hand while not as stylish will out perform and out sell it.

Ok about the above test ride- some rider deficiency there too?

twowheeladdict

The video shows them going down hill on hair pin curves with amazing views. I wouldn't be going fast on any bike. Uphill, on the other hand would be a different story.

I found my one year V7 cafe classic while searching for v7 Racer, and slightly damaged Triumph Scrambler that I could turn into a Thruxton with the nicer scrambler engine.

2015 FZ-07

Archived