The MT-07 Forum

First Track Day - Shenandoah Circuit - Summit Pt

Guest unknown

Guest unknown

First track day was a success! I'm hooked on track days and will probably sign up for one at the end of the month. I did ok in the morning but was getting killed by the sport bikes in the straights. I got in behind an instructor on my third session and he really helped me see the proper lines through the track. He also gave me a bunch of advice regarding body positioning and hanging off the bike which really helped. I think I was close to putting a knee down by the end of the day but never quite got there. I also pulled a rookie mistake and missed the checkered on session 5. I ended up with an extra lap with the expert guys pissed at me.

Crappy cell phone pics inbound:
0AA9271B-44E4-4B92-BDF6-265FA3B48FBE_zpstoey3gsu.jpg

5FAA1EEE-11C6-47F6-A7D9-569EA4522931_zpsrcjofx09.jpg

2E7A6707-A8C4-464F-BF9C-3F2E7164C2E1_zpsbh1mb9pl.jpg

68197353-58A8-45E8-AC80-AA49FE2C5F10_zps06xigee9.jpg

• Global Moderator

Very cool! Thanks for sharing the pics. It looks like you had a blast. How did your tires look afterwards?

Guest unknown

I wish I would have photographed them, they had tons of "clag" on them. They held up very well and I don't think I ever got close to the limit of the tire.

very cool... just curious, do you have the michelins or the bridgestones? how did they hold up?

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

Guest unknown

It's mine too, I have no desire to do summit main. I like real tight technical turns. I had some friends there on supermotos who got bumped up to Advanced because the Intermediate sport bike guys were complaining about being passed.

That corkscrew was the bane of my existence yesterday. I could never quite get comfortable on it.

Guest unknown
Yeah I've ridden my 450SMR and 600RR on it and I prefer the supermoto. Main is great on a fast bike though.
We should meet up for a track day :) I'm thinking about doing another one on Labor Day weekend. 

Guest MXRider

Yeah I've ridden my 450SMR and 600RR on it and I prefer the supermoto. Main is great on a fast bike though.
We should meet up for a track day :) I'm thinking about doing another one on Labor Day weekend.

I'd love to but I don't have a paved track worthy bike at the moment. Probably won't until spring time.

I think one of my friends was there too. He was on a CR500 supermoto and his VFR.

I did some track days with my previous SV650S on a nearby track. I don't have anymore my track's gear. Even if i kept them, the pants won't fit me anymore. The cost of the track day is now double of what we paid in 2003. The comparo would be interesting. But, after 10 years without riding on track, i'm pretty sure that i would be slower. So the comparo would'nt be valid.

Still, would be a blast. :D

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Im hoping to get out to some track days at Circuit of The Americas, its been amazing to see the Moto GP and Formula 1 guys race out there so I can only imagine what it will be like to actually get some on track time once they have a tack day.

Guest MXRider

Im hoping to get out to some track days at Circuit of The Americas, its been amazing to see the Moto GP and Formula 1 guys race out there.

I really want to get out there and watch an F1 race next year.

Im hoping to get out to some track days at Circuit of The Americas, its been amazing to see the Moto GP and Formula 1 guys race out there.
I really want to get out there and watch an F1 race next year.
Its an experience for sure and General Admission tickets are $169 for all 3 days of the race weekend, not a bad deal for all the free concerts and racing goodies you get. 

• Premium Member

Looks like a ton of fun. Can't wait to take mine to Jennings here in FL, gotta pick up some track gear and some frame sliders first though.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

I just installed a pair of the OES frame sliders, quick and painless installation. What frame sliders are you going with V8titanpwr?

• Premium Member

The OES ones, i have maxed out my bike spending money for the month though, haha. I'll pick them up next month as well as a tail tidy, just bought a new jacket, a disc lock, new gloves and oh yeah, a bike, gotta keep the wifey happy.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Guest MXRider

Looks like a ton of fun. Can't wait to take mine to Jennings here in FL, gotta pick up some track gear and some frame sliders first though.

Jennings is a very fun track. I went there about 4 years ago for 2 days. Worth the drive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unknown
Unknown let me know next time you hit up Shenny or Summit. I want to take my 300 there.
I'm thinking about going Sunday the 31st. I'll make a decision by Weds. dependent on the weather. I hope this storm stays out to sea. 

• 6 months later...

googletx -- you are probably aware, but the COTA track day is this weekend. there are still spots open for Sunday as of this past weekend.

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
04 MV Agusta F4 Brutale S (750)
10 Street Triple R
15 FZ-07 (arrived 12/6/2015)!!

Archived