The MT-07 Forum

Instrument cluster

variant90

So.. I can't be the only person that thinks that the cluster and the ignition should be swapped.. When I'm riding I have to take my eyes entirely off the road to look at it. Has anyone came up with a solution for this?

I think the same for the cluster. I like the position but it isnt useful. Maybe when I buy a screen i do something to move forward. I see anyone that made a special piece to put rear the ignition using the two bolts in the fairing.
Sorry for my english, Im spanish...

I don't let it bother me for the fact that I often have to take my eyes off the road in front of me to check the traffic behind and to the side of me for numerous reasons. Having to look around a lot just seems like a part of biking to me. Just look at the cluster quickly and only when it's safe to do it.

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler

Finally, being vertically challenged has an upside! I'm 5'6" tall (167cm for you metric folks out there) and that instrument cluster is just fine for me!!!

• Premium Member
So.. I can't be the only person that thinks that the cluster and the ignition should be swapped.. When I'm riding I have to take my eyes entirely off the road to look at it. Has anyone came up with a solution for this?
Talk to @cookfreeordie89 -- he bought something off a guy from Facebook, as seen here:  http://fz07.org/post/77439

I've already studied this as I find it annoying and dangerous to be looking down at the speedo or when changing modes. Yamaha was good to us here in that the cluster wire bundle can be easily rerouted forward of the key switch and a simple bracket can be fabbed up to relocate cluster. However, I've found that the cluster will not tuck in under either the puig or givi wind screen without hitting the inside of screen. This can be remedied by reshaping the brackets or spacing the screens but they will now be in a more vertical position, not bad but not as aesthetically pleasing. An alternate method would be to form a new custom screen and since you really don't see thru the short screens they could be made of lexan or fiberglass/cf or aluminum...whatever you're comfortable working with. If your bike is totally naked then the screen isn't there so no issue. Using the stock cluster backing plate, I would machine off the mounting ear flush with back of plate and use this pad to thru screw into my new mounting bracket that would attach to the same cowl points/screws that the wind screens brackets use. This then puts the speedo cluster where it belongs as seen on most production m/c's.

Look the post: what did you do to yamaha mt07 today
Pag. 350
installed new speedo gauge relocation bracket and windscreen mounts from ripped industries

• Premium Member

@albatrosscafe, @ChicagoAJ -- deleted the posts (cross posting from the other forum is frowned upon)

Guest ChicagoAJ
@albatrosscafe , @chicagoaj -- deleted the posts (cross posting from the other forum is frowned upon)
At least I got to see it while it was up. That's a little extreme for forum rules, in my opinion... 

• Premium Member
@albatrosscafe , @chicagoaj -- deleted the posts (cross posting from the other forum is frowned upon)
At least I got to see it while it was up. That's a little extreme for forum rules, in my opinion... 
I feel ya, but the rules are the rules (http://fz07.org/post/169)

So the ripped industries brackets are kind of exactly what I was thinking ... But now that I have a visual, I'm not sure if it's aesthetically pleasing... Lol. It's so hard for me to justify things over the interweb, I'm a visual person so I always wanna see it in person. Problem is , no one in jersey (that I know) has an fz07

Yeah, the Ripped was a bit much to obvious for me, a slight adaptation to the puig screen mount by welding on a properly spaced cross piece would put the cluster in a nice location but to make this a clean install I would still want to cut off the stock mounting ear on the back of the cluster mount plate. If I didn't have other mods taking priority, I would knock this out for those that need a visual, maybe some one else will get to it before me...it's not much of a move but really makes a big difference, especially for taller riders....Mark

cookfreeordie89
So the ripped industries brackets are kind of exactly what I was thinking ... But now that I have a visual, I'm not sure if it's aesthetically pleasing... Lol. It's so hard for me to justify things over the interweb, I'm a visual person so I always wanna see it in person. Problem is , no one in jersey (that I know) has an fz07

I'm on long Island and got to Manhattan often if you ever want to meet up. I cross through jersey to get to my family's house in the Poconos

cookfreeordie89

I also painted it red, you can paint it what ever color you want, if you're looking for something low key

I made a new forward mount almost as soon as I got the bike. Std position is useless for me as it not only is too far down but for my eyesight too close for my distance glasses.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

AlbatrossCafe

HERE is the thread I was looking for finally: http://fz07.org/thread/3241/gilles-tooling-relocation-bracket-arrived

This Gilles Tooling bracket relocates it plenty far forward and it is not super obvious that this work has been done. If you don't mind paying for it, I think this is your best option.

Archived