The MT-07 Forum

Thinking of picking up a fizzle oh seven

roadrash

Hey guys! I'm from Vancouver Canada and I put a deposit down on a silver/blurple fz-07 last Saturday. The plan was to go pick it up this Saturday but I've been scouring the garage section of the forums and the oil/coolant leaking problem and stalling have got me worried. This would be the first bike I'm purchasing brand new so I kinda don't want it to run into issues right out of the dealership. Are you guys happy with your bikes? If not this I was thinking of picking up a wr250r instead. Thanks dudes!

• Premium Member

The oil/ coolant issues is practically not even a worry...as far as the stall issues it's 99% rider error, even after 15yrs of riding I still stall once a year rather it's on my road or dirt bike .. these 2 very very little problems should not deter anyone from buying this awesome bike( in my opinion)...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I actually didn't even know there was a big stalling or oil/coolant issue on our bikes because it was only a small percentage from what I noticed. This is a great choice for a bike and you will enjoy it. Probally one of the more fun bikes I've had since my many years of riding. I had one issue, but dealer took care of it under warranty. If you're buying it new, there shouldn't be too many problems. Hurry and buy it, before someone else takes it.

• Premium Member

I havent had any issues. This is a fantastic bike. You're thinking too much...buy it.  ;)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I understand where you`re coming from. You would expect a brand new bike to run with no issues and only visit your dealership for regular checkups (and mods :P ).

The truth is that ALL brand new sophisticated machinery (bikes included) need that break-in period, during which you might encounter small "hiccups" in functionality. Once you are done with it (600 miles in the US if I remember correctly) everything would have fallen in place and you should be worries free until the next oil change.

I don`t own a MT-07 (yet), but as far as I`ve read on this forum, and others, there were NO major general issues in functionality with this model (like you have the throttle/fueling problem on the early MT-09 models, for example).

For most of us buying a new bike is a big financial commitment and it is ok to have some doubts about the acquisition.
Fortunately, if yours are based entirely on the mechanical side of the bike, based on the 2-3 years of experience of hundreds of owners, I would say you are safe with your option of buying the FZ-07.

The WR250r is a great bike in it`s category. But the on the road riding experience of the FZ is miles ahead of the WR on a "smile/mile" scale :D

Chose with your heart ;)

Best of luck!

MT-07 Prospect

• Premium Member

I should probably add that the appeal to me as a commuter bike is its incredible torque that allows quick maneuvering in traffic.

It flicks into corners willingly and confidently. I'm considering starting moto-gymkhana/gp8 in a parking lot here so I can practice cornering better on this bike.

The gas mileage is good (I get between 45-50 mpg depending on if I'm commuting vs. riding to ride)
The brakes are decent
The stock mirrors work for me and I'm rocking the stock exhaust because I like a light sleeper. Quiet but quick with the get up and go.

All I know of as far as a radiator leak is one person's drain bolt snapped off because it was more than likely too tight from the factory and was soft metal. I don't recall a lot of issues with leaking, mine doesn't leak anyway. The stalling issue (was real, not imagined, not rider error) may not be present in the 16's model's and not everyone experienced the stalling when taking off from a stand still with earlier models. A lot of people corrected the problem with an ECU Flash and some other's, like myself, have learned how to deal with it. You simply refrain from blipping the throttle just before you release the clutch but don't be too light on the gas either. Works for me so far but I can't speak for everyone else. I haven't heard that anyone with this years bike has had any problems with leaking or stalling. I think you'll be OK. No reports of crashes/injuries over the stalling or engines ruined over a leak.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Am I happy with my fizzle? 
f0-shizzle

X2 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Fearedbynone

the stalling might have been previous versions? i have had my fz-07 for a month now and i have not stalled it once. it seemed the issue was the ecu cutting fuel. to me, mine does not cut fuel when i let off the gas, so it might have been fixed in the settings.

i keep mine in the house because i have no other place to store it. no leaks here.

Dave

• Global Moderator

I have had no problems with my bike. You will love it. Post photos when you get it.

I actually just traded my WR250R in for my FZ07 a few weeks back. No problems with the FZ what so ever so far and I'm just about at that first oil change. I've stalled once (user error) since I've owned it. Coming from the WR I support my decision to get the FZ 100%! The usability is just better for me. The WR is a dirtbike first and makes a poor street rider unless you have better tires. Congratulations on your downpayment! You will not regret getting an FZ07!

• Global Moderator

Congrats @roadrash The FZ07 is an excellent choice. I came from a WR250X when I bought mine. I loved my WR but the FZ07 is so much more bike. Don't worry too much about problems and things you read on the internet. Just hop on and enjoy the ride.

• Global Moderator

Its a great bike.... my oil leak issue was mostly my dealer's fault for incorrect assembly

you'll love the fizzy

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Went and picked it up today and HOLY CRAP MAN. Funnest bike I have ever ridden. I didn't get to test ride it at the dealership last week because it was literally just out of the crate. It feels so light and maneuverable like my old DRZ supermoto, but with waaay more power. Sold my R6 before picking this up and really happy with the swap. I want to thank you guys all for sharing your experiences and knowledge and putting my mind at ease!

Pics as promised

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/jaskhinda/a16388cd-ab51-4a6c-bc03-6094adc1cce7_zpstsvzyxpq.jpg
http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/jaskhinda/DSC00802_zpsq7itcfm1.jpg

Completely stock at the moment but that'll change over time :D

Man, all you people who had R6s switching over to FZ07s makes me curious just how the R6 rides. Like, is the low end torque so bad that you have to twist the throttle hard, in which case when you hit the upper RPMs, the bike zooms and then you are going too fast or something? No sweet spot on that bike? Just curious.

I mean, I have a 1000cc sport bike, but just guessing the characteristic is very different on the R6 or any 600cc supersport for that matter.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I switched mostly because I was doing a lot of city riding and I didn't like the r6 for it. This bike feels like a much better fit for the city with the light weight and better low speed maneuverability. It didn't have anything to do with too much or too little torque for me, but the torque on the r6 definitely came in at much higher rpm/speed than on the 07.

We got his and hers 07s. Neither leaks a drop of anything. Nor do they use any oil between services. Great engines! No stalling issues either.

The 07 is tremendous bang for the buck. Buy it, ride it, and love it.

I love that color combo! Best yet.

The gas mileage is good (I get between 45-50 mpg depending on if I'm commuting vs. riding to ride)

That's with the on board computer. The manual calculation always gives you an extra 5mpg. When commuting, I use my handy dandy calculator and get 55 to 60 mpg. 

That's with the on board computer. The manual calculation always gives you an extra 5mpg. When commuting, I use my handy dandy calculator and get 55 to 60 mpg.

Are you running premium or regular 87? There's some mixed ideas from what I've seen on what you should run especially with a recent post on issues with not running 97, I recently switched from regular to premium got about a 10 mph bumb up from 44 mpg to around 54.

87 is the way to go. Anything more is a waist of money.
The bump in mpg could have been your driving.
The only reason to go higher in octane is to avoid the "knocking" issue caused by early gas ignition in the cylinders chamber.

87 is the way to go. Anything more is a waist of money. The bump in mpg could have been your driving.
The only reason to go higher in octane is to avoid the "knocking" issue caused by early gas ignition in the cylinders chamber.

I thought the same that I could have been doing something different but No the only change was literally gas, I ride the same road a lot and watch the instant mpg as i was curious what the engine likes efficiency wise, looking at Hills, wind resistance behind cars where I can get the best gas mileage and what not, just changing the gas gave me about 10 mpg difference. To test it I had a cruise control on as well both times to ensure nothing I did was different and road in the weather was within 3 degrees of each day and time of day was the same instead of 44 mpg at 70 mph I was getting 48 for a bit and then after burning the little regular left started getting 54 and sometimes 56.

Archived