The MT-07 Forum

Thinking of picking up a fizzle oh seven

roadrash

Well done in your research ;) . So 97 octane get you 22.7% better gas mileage. Now, look at the price difference between regular and premium in your area. The switch might be in your favor, or not.
In my area, regular is at $2.05 and premium at $2.45, so it would be worth to go premium, as 22.7% of $2.05 is $2.51.
Now, does the bike react better? because that would be really worth it 8-)

Well done in your research ;) . So 97 octane get you 22.7% better gas mileage. Now, look at the price difference between regular and premium in your area. The switch might be in your favor, or not. In my area, regular is at $2.05 and premium at $2.45, so it would be worth to go premium, as 22.7% of $2.05 is $2.51.
Now, does the bike react better? because that would be really worth it 8-)

Been trying to test that to actually but the main difference would probably be in throttle response, the main reason I am probably gonna switch is to get 44 mpg with side cases on the bike for some road trips in June. I still pay only 5.68 for a full tank from 1 bar so not complaining.

pineappleunderthesea

Frankly I don't understand ho higher octane gives better mileage. When an engine is designed for higher octane, then yes, it matters. But to see a 10 mpg boost on the FZ would signify that the engine was designed for higher octane, and thus on 87 octane it pulls back timing or something that causes it to have lower mpg.

I've been putting premium in mine for the last 3 tanks and haven't seen a difference in mpg. But then again I have the Akra Carbon and a flash tune, but I was running 87 octane on that setup initially and with premium the numbers haven't moved too much.

Frankly I don't understand ho higher octane gives better mileage. When an engine is designed for higher octane, then yes, it matters. But to see a 10 mpg boost on the FZ would signify that the engine was designed for higher octane, and thus on 87 octane it pulls back timing or something that causes it to have lower mpg.  
I've been putting premium in mine for the last 3 tanks and haven't seen a difference in mpg. But then again I have the Akra Carbon and a flash tune, but I was running 87 octane on that setup initially and with premium the numbers haven't moved too much.

Hmm it could be retarding the timing the only way I could guess someone could check is one of the ecu flashers doing testing. I'm running stock so if anyone wants to test running different gas type we can compare to be more. Conclusive I may switch on the next fill up and see if it's repeatable

Archived