The MT-07 Forum

Z1000! I also sat on a xsr900 and z800.

SkH

First of all, this topic which I link to makes me laugh...

I lasted 7 months and irrationality won out.  But to be fair, I didn't upgrade, I just added a 3rd bike.

So I bought a left-over 2015 [HASH]Z1000. A bike I wanted a few months after getting a FZ07 when I saw it at the dealership. Original price was 11999, but got it for 9299 (I'll leave out OTD since it is still over 10k lol). 

1043cc super naked/streetfighter, 140-something HP, 80-something lbs peak torque. 480-something lbs wet weight.  Haha, yes, I'm lazy, not going to search the actual specs.

It comes in only one color in the US, if you don't know what that color is, it is metallic green. I bought it with the intention of painting all the green parts. But it is a very sneaky green because from a distance, it just looks green, but up close, the thing is golden metallic and looks beautiful. So everytime I see it from a distance, I'm thinking "what color am I painting that", and then I see it up close and "wow I'm mesmerized". Also the black gloss parts have a metallic silver effect. Personally Kawasaki is doing a huge disservice only offering up black and/or green colors on their bikes these past 2-3 years in the U.S. I honestly wonder if their sales slumped due to this. And yes, I know that is their color.

Anyway, I now own 3 bikes. Despite riding a Honda Nighthawk for one day, and a Kawasaki cruiser another day in my MSF courses some years ago, I will have to reference and compare to my other 2 bikes (FZ07 and R3) so I apologize that I will continually compare the z1000 to them.

So I always wanted to experience a liter bike.  Also, strangely I wanted to experience "panic power" that many people mention.  But before I get into that, let me tell you a little about my experience with the FZ07.  During my extensive research, a thing many people mention about it was how easy the wheel comes up.  How you might accidentally do a wheelie.  Apparently there are a few new riders here who have also posted they accidentally did a wheelie.  Also mentions about how jerky the throttle is.  The FZ07 WAS MY FIRST BIKE AND I HAVE YET TO DO A WHEELIE.  After a year, I even attempted to intentionally got on the throttle hard on 1st and second and I still have not been able to lift the front wheel!  Also the throttle is not jerky for me.  Which leads me to think one of a few things.  Either my FZ07 is broken (which I doubt), or I am a sane human being who knows how to smoothly roll the throttle.  Either those newbies are dangerously not aware of the concept of rolling on the throttle that they are yanking it haphazardly enough to pull the wheel (and believe me, based on how my wife was on her R3, I am well aware that these people exist) or they are intentionally trying to lift the front wheel and proclaim it was an accident.

Why am I mentioning all this?  Because the z1000 doesn't give me a sense of panic power or danger.  But I attribute this once again to my conservative throttle rolling and understanding of the dangers of the throttle.  But luckily, I've experienced all the other things a liter bike offers which is blowing my mind.

First let me retouch on the throttle.  If people thought the FZ07 is jerky and newbies get themselves into trouble, holy hell the Z1000 is extremely dangerous in that category.  This thing is ON and OFF.  Each little tug is a burst in power.  I have no doubt that all those "accidental wheelie FZ07 newbies" would crash riding this thing.

Torque... it goes without saying the torque on the Z1000 is massive.  I'm guessing it is equal (or slightly less on the lower end) to an FZ09.  But I have never ridden an FZ09.  But relative to the FZ07, the FZ07 is a docile kitten in the torque department.  The Z1000 pulls warp speed and its not helped by the aforementioned ON/OFF throttle.  I kept cussing in amazement while riding due to the torque with my wife on bluetooth asking what's wrong.

The gearing/mph per gear.  This is where I finally got to feel the majesty of the liter bike.  First let me say... this bike has very little engine braking.  So I can assume the heavy engine braking is a characteristic of a parallel twin.  But I understand now when people mention feeling lazy on a liter bike in shifting.  Since I was talking non-stop to my wife, at times I forgot what gear I was on (no gear indicator on this thing) and I blip downshifted to first on 30 mph... with little to no engine braking!  It was when I realized I was in first when I came to a full stop and tried to downshift again I was blown away.  You shift to 1st at 15mph on the FZ07, you know how massive the engine brakes.  This was at 30mph and nothing!  I know, 1st gear on this thing goes over 60mph (which is why the 0-60mph is so damn fast) so that is to be expected.  The highest gear I rode in was 3rd.  I have to get used to the gearing on this thing.

A thing I didn't realize but should've realized is how the engine chugs along at low rpms.  On 1st, I HAD to use clutch control on any speeds under 12mph....  yes you heard that right.  Otherwise I feel the engine chug like its going to stall.  On a review vid on the z1000 by chaseontwowheels, he mentions this, how the bike wants to always go fast otherwise the engine shakes as he says.  I understand now.  Either you have to ride in lower gears all the time, or ride fast.

Weight and ergos.  Now, this is a heavy bike.  Luckily I only feel it when I lift it up from the kickstand or when I walk the bike when I'm off it.  Otherwise, it feels great and light in motion.  The ergos is not much different from the FZ07.  My R3 is still much more aggressive and anyone who has gotten on the R3 knows, that isn't much aggression.  Also the seat height is supposedly higher than the FZ, but the skinny-ass midsection completely alters this fact and makes it about the same as the FZ.  The low speed maneuvering on the z1000 thankfully is much better than the R3.  Its almost comparable to the FZ except the turning radius isn't as good as the FZ, but otherwise, riding slow (albeit, always using clutch control) is just about as good as the FZ which is a relief on my mind since that was a point of contention... I don't like riding the R3 slowly, it really sucks.  I can only imagine how much more real supersports like the R6 is.  Must be a disaster.

Exhaust sound:  Coming from two Yamaha bikes, I was surprised to hear the exhaust note on the OEM exhaust is quite good, and decently loud.  Nothing compared to the FZ's aftermarket mind you, but you all know the sewing machine OEM.... no, this exhaust is actually loud.  I might stick with the OEM for now... if it wasn't for the absurd heft of it.  But we'll see...

I should also mention the z1000 is shorter than the FZ.  It is wider, yes, but shorter.  As you can imagine that combo makes for a very aggressive look.  So in general, the z1000 looks like a smaller bike than the FZ07 in certain angles.

That's about all I can say about the z1000 thus far, I'll add a few more things as they come into my mind in the next few days.

Let's now talk about the [HASH]z800 and the [HASH]XSR900.

The Z800 is a far heavier, chunkier bike.  It is massively heavy.  Also it is taller in the seat than the z1000 (probably the same height, don't want to check, but the z800 seat is wider, making it seem taller).  When I got on it and tried to lift it off the kickstand, I had to grunt and struggle.  If its main competition is the FZ09, I don't understand how they ended up with such a heavy bike (500lbs).  I can only assume its just an old design which is new for us.

The XSR900 on the other hand... despite having a very tall seat, not helped once again by the very wide seat, the thing is light!  It doesn't feel heavy at all.  Oddly enough it felt lighter than the FZ09.  Maybe it was from sitting on the z1000 over and over at the dealership but in my opinion, you won't feel the 430lbs.  Its a beautiful bike.  I like all the brushed aluminum details.  I would've without a doubt have gotten that bike had it not been for the extremely high seat.  That bike is built for tall people.   Anyone who wants to get an FZ09 due to its engine should seriously consider spending a few more and get one of those beauties.

Now pics of the z1000.  Here is after it was wheeled out and my sales guy is doing a once-over with me.

z110.jpg

Right before taking her home.

z210.jpg

In the garage with her new buddies.

2z10.jpg

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Oh yes, I should add, despite the "laziness in shifting" attributed on liter bikes, I feel the FZ is a much easier bike to ride. Maybe since I know its characteristics inside and out. But I feel when I ride with my wife, I will be just riding the FZ and when I'm on my own, I'll be riding the Zed.

Forgot to also mention one thing I really like is how I can now rest my chest on the highway.  Something greatly lacking on the FZ.

• Global Moderator

Thanks for the review, it sounds like a great bike for you. I think the lack of engine braking is due to the slipper clutch that the Z1000 has and not the extra cylinders. If II were to replace my FZ-07 (not that I am planning to anytime soon) the XSR900 would be on my short list. Maybe I should put the Z1000 on the list too.

• Premium Member

I bought a leftover 2014 Ninja 1000 last August. Similar machine to the Z. I sold it a month ago for the '07 because I was either going to kill myself or go to jail. Awesome bike, I just didn't have the self control to stay out of trouble with it.

- Andy

AlbatrossCafe
I think the lack of engine braking is due to the slipper clutch that the Z1000 has and not the extra cylinders.
I was going to say this. The slipper clutch is 95% of the reason you don't feel that there is much "engine breaking".  I have had 4-cyl sportbikes with slippers and a Yamaha Raider (1900cc V-twin) with a slipper and they have all behaved as you described. Slipper clutches are #1. Would have definitely paid an extra $500 or to have it come factory on the FZ07. 

I was under the impression that the 15 z1000 didn't have a slipper. I'll have to look into it again.

Oh yes, I also got a free track day deal from getting the Kawasaki. Going to hit the track in Aug! Wooo. I have 3 bikes to choose from, I think I'm taking the FZ07 even though the R3 would've been a better choice (while the z1000 has a horrible ground clearance and I will probably mess up the exhaust if I take that).

Going to rent a hitch, bring a cooler stocked with food and drink, extra gas, bring a canopy tent and the wife is coming along for the experience.

topazsparrow

Your experience with the 1000 actually matches mine. I rode my friends GSXR1000 and can honestly say it didn't feel dangerous outside of 1st gear.

They're geared so tall that unless you're already breaking the speed limit (or in 1st gear) you're not going to have access to much of that power. I was doing WOT runs in 2nd and 3rd gear at 4k rpm on the 1000 and it felt about the same as my FZ-07, maybe even slower - It may have been faster, but didn't feel like it - very smooth power delivery. Now at 7000+ RPM it's a different story, but by then you're going 70mph anyway... so what's the point?

1st gear had some nice punch to it just about all over, but even then, unless you have no concept of how to control that throttle, you won't find yourself in much trouble. Any gear after first and I actually preferred the power delivery of my FZ-07.

AlbatrossCafe
I was under the impression that the 15 z1000 didn't have a slipper. I'll have to look into it again.
http://motorbikewriter.com/kawasaki-drops-price-on-z1000-naked/ 

It also comes with a newassist and slipper clutch in Metallic Matte Carbon Gray with Candy Crimson Red highlights.
I believe it was added for the 2015 year.

twowheeladdict

That golden blaze green is an amazing color.

I bleed green, but if Kawasaki doesn't make, or bring to the States a model I want, I look elsewhere.

My Stable in 2014.

410123190.jpg

Kawasaki has the best worry free factory warranty in the business.  You can extend up to 9 years unlimited mileage on some bikes.

2015 FZ-07

That golden blaze green is an amazing color. 
I bleed green, but if Kawasaki doesn't make, or bring to the States a model I want, I look elsewhere.

My Stable in 2014.

Kawasaki has the best worry free factory warranty in the business.  You can extend up to 9 years unlimited mileage on some bikes.
The color no doubt has grown on me in just one day.   

• Premium Member
http://motorbikewriter.com/kawasaki-drops-price-on-z1000-naked/ 

It also comes with a newassist and slipper clutch in Metallic Matte Carbon Gray with Candy Crimson Red highlights.
I believe it was added for the 2015 year.

The slipper, and the color, came out for the '16 MY.

- Andy

• Premium Member

Grats on the new bike. A little jealous.. I could never find the time for more than one bike in the garage, one would always be neglected. Also, in response to the 07 not wheelie'ing.. twist faster. I tried the rocking method in first gear and almost got it to 12 o clock and never again. First gear is fairly easy to power up. However, the power of the 07 is extremely manageable. 07 was my first bike as well almost 2 years ago. I'm looking into a BMW purchase myself but it looks like the bike bug got you :) .

Guest 2wheeler
Either my FZ07 is broken (which I doubt)
I'm going with broken. If I take 1st gear to near redline, speed shift into 2nd and crack it, that front end is coming up. How far is a matter of my right wrist and my balls. It does baby+ wheelies all day long in 2nd by taking it up to about 5K, then fully backing off and cracking it.  
Notice that I'm not mentioning 1st gear - I'm getting old enough that I don't trust my reflexes for instaneous 12 o'clock wheelies.

This is a great video in general, and really shows of the FZ's wheeliability (did I create a new word???)

• Global Moderator

It is nice to see that the FZ-07 is not the only bike that needs a fender eliminator :) Great photos, btw.

AlbatrossCafe

BTW it looks like you grabbed this at Hinshaw's in Auburn... that is where I test rode an FZ-07 (but didn't buy it there). If that is the case then unless they were shipped a random 2015 Green Z1000 from another dealer I am 99% sure I sat on "your" bike last fall LOL

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Wheelies are even easier to induce with the R6 throttle tube. I did some today...LOL not of the 12'clock type, but over 2 ft. It's so easy with the quick snap of the wrist.

Congrats on the zed though. Definitely one of the better super naked bikes on the market.

SigSide.jpg

Grats on the new bike. A little jealous.. I could never find the time for more than one bike in the garage, one would always be neglected. Also, in response to the 07 not wheelie'ing.. twist faster. I tried the rocking method in first gear and almost got it to 12 o clock and never again. First gear is fairly easy to power up. However, the power of the 07 is extremely manageable. 07 was my first bike as well almost 2 years ago. I'm looking into a BMW purchase myself but it looks like the bike bug got you :) .
Thanks.  Man, not even 2 years into getting my motorcycle license and I own 3 motorcycles already... bike bug for sure.  But I probably would use a different term.  Addiction?  Maybe?  Expensive one though... 

Either my FZ07 is broken (which I doubt)
I'm going with broken. If I take 1st gear to near redline, speed shift into 2nd and crack it, that front end is coming up. How far is a matter of my right wrist and my balls. It does baby+ wheelies all day long in 2nd by taking it up to about 5K, then fully backing off and cracking it.  
Notice that I'm not mentioning 1st gear - I'm getting old enough that I don't trust my reflexes for instaneous 12 o'clock wheelies.

This is a great video in general, and really shows of the FZ's wheeliability (did I create a new word???)

Yeah, I guess I'm just not that aggressive enough with the FZ07 throttle.  But I'm fine with that.  It keeps me safe, especially on the Z1000.  But I'm still confounded on people who "accidentally wheelie" their FZ.   

It is nice to see that the FZ-07 is not the only bike that needs a fender eliminator :) Great photos, btw.
Thanks.  Fender eliminator already on the way via Fedex!

BTW it looks like you grabbed this at Hinshaw's in Auburn... that is where I test rode an FZ-07 (but didn't buy it there). If that is the case then unless they were shipped a random 2015 Green Z1000 from another dealer I am 99% sure I sat on "your" bike last fall LOL
Yes, that's the one.  Place is 12 min away from me.  Bought 2 bikes from them so far.  Well, its mainly sales guy John Craft, he's a decent dude I feel compelled giving him a sale.  But I would never have my bike serviced there (well, no place has ever touched my bikes for service) And I've been there half a dozen times, always sitting on the Z1000, I have no doubt that is the same exact one you sat on since it seems to be the only one that has ever been there.  You have to admit it was one sexy bike in person.  Hmmm.  I have albatrosscafe on my seat.  We are forever linked! 
Few extra thoughts to mention.

Suspension is stiff... there is no pogo stick effect in the front.

Headlight aiming is a massive *****.  I spent the day trying to figure out a way to aim light higher, I can't properly reach the bolts... I may have to remove the head to aim the light higher... ugh.

Neutral is very easy to find without accidentally over shifting past it.  It actually clicks hard and loud on neutral.  Strange.

Not much mods needed.  Going to keep all the signals stock since they are smaller than Yamaha pumpkins and they are clear!  Headlight is LED, along with LED highbeams.  Exhaust note is nice.  Just going to add fender eliminator, some frame sliders, and maybe a SupaBrake II.  Oh yes and bar end mirrors.

And I really have missed that "engine burning" new bike smell.  Mmmm.

Another good video that demonstrates the "wheeliebility" of our beloved FZ 

oh its mr f. matt   :P 

Alright, been a week riding it. Have a few more thoughts on it.

It has a positive neutral finder which I think is cool. You downshift to 1st, and while the engine is at a stop, hitting up will always put you into neutral. Which makes sense on my earlier comment on how great it feels clicking into neutral. Because you can't miss it.

On the subject of no gear indicator. Being that my first two bikes both have gear indicators, I prepared for this bike about a week or two of taping up the FZ07 gear indicator and riding around. It wasn't a big deal, no issues. But I had the mindset that I just needed to keep track of the gears. Actually riding a bike with no indicator, I've come to realize you do not really keep track of what gear you are on. You shift and forget about it. When you feel the engine losing power, you simply downshift and its simple as that. And that's pretty much how you ride a motorcycle with no indicator.

The engine... it really wants to go fast. Its alarming at low RPMs the engine feels like it is being taxed and overworked and its exhausted and wants to die. But when you go fast, it is nice and smooth and it feels happy. Very strange sensation to experience.

This bike definitely has a similar powerband to the FZ. I tried to redline it today but didn't because after a certain RPM (sometime after 8k), the engine didn't feel good just like the FZ. Unlike say my R3 where after a certain RPM you feel the engine come alive.

Suspension is painfully stiff. Every single bump is jarring. I kind of miss the FZ07's soft suspension. But I do not miss the pogo stick. People said to back off the preload and that should help, only problem is the suspension setting isn't indicated like the FZ07. Its just an infinite ring so I have to figure that out.

EDIT:

Engine breaking.  I feel it now.  Its there.  After a week of riding nothing but the z1000 and not touching the FZ, my body feels the engine breaking.  Which will be alarming when I get back on the FZ I'm sure.

My wife rode pillion on it today, I wanted her to feel the massive torque and she definitely did, squeeling with delight and terror.  Taking on a pillion behaves just like the FZ.  Very good.  My R3 is just still terrible in low speed riding (you have to fight with the steering) and pillion riding (fighting the steering is amplified on low speeds).

Oh and definitely the turn radius sucks ass.  Major ass.  I did a few u turns.  So long, tight u turns on the FZ.  The steering comes to a lock far more quicker than the FZ, and I can make tight u turns on the FZ without locking steering.  So even locking the z1k's steering, I still can't make small u turns.  If I were to make wild assumptions, I would say that is intentional since the bike is heavy, and I notice on the FZ if I ever lock the steering wheel doing u turns going slow, the bike wants to fall.  That doesn't happen with the z1k, I can continue to ride slowly with a locked steering without the bike wanting to fall down (and I pretty much have to if i'm u turning).  And despite the R3's terrible low speed handling, it still does u turns tighter than the z1k.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Alright, been a week riding it. Have a few more thoughts on it. 
It has a positive neutral finder which I think is cool. You downshift to 1st, and while the engine is at a stop, hitting up will always put you into neutral. Which makes sense on my earlier comment on how great it feels clicking into neutral. Because you can't miss it.

On the subject of no gear indicator. Being that my first two bikes both have gear indicators, I prepared for this bike about a week or two of taping up the FZ07 gear indicator and riding around. It wasn't a big deal, no issues. But I had the mindset that I just needed to keep track of the gears. Actually riding a bike with no indicator, I've come to realize you do not really keep track of what gear you are on. You shift and forget about it. When you feel the engine losing power, you simply downshift and its simple as that. And that's pretty much how you ride a motorcycle with no indicator.

The engine... it really wants to go fast. Its alarming at low RPMs the engine feels like it is being taxed and overworked and its exhausted and wants to die. But when you go fast, it is nice and smooth and it feels happy. Very strange sensation to experience.

This bike definitely has a similar powerband to the FZ. I tried to redline it today but didn't because after a certain RPM (sometime after 7k), the engine didn't feel good just like the FZ. Unlike say my R3 where after a certain RPM you feel the engine come alive.

Suspension is painfully stiff. Every single bump is jarring. I kind of miss the FZ07's soft suspension. But I do not miss the pogo stick. People said to back off the preload and that should help, only problem is the suspension setting isn't indicated like the FZ07. Its just an infinite ring so I have to figure that out.
Reminds me of the Mazda RX-7 I used to own. Hated slow driving, but came alive only when the turbo was doing its thing. Your impressions make me want a MT/FZ-10 even more now. I can't wait.

SigSide.jpg

Some last thoughts about the z1000. I know not many people reading this or care but I'm still compelled to update it. This will probably be the final post regarding my thoughts. My wife has been riding my FZ07, leaving me with the option of turning the R3 to a track bike- but my first track day is in Aug so I'll see how that goes first before committing to anything.

Suspension... again.

The stiff ass suspension is horrible for city riding.  Horrible.  Horrible.  Is this how a real sport suspension feels like?  Must be great on the track... a clean track with no bumps or holes or anything.  Its comical looking at my helmet cam footage at how much it bobs rapidly up and down.  I have to find a way to remedy this situation.  I find it ironic that I had no issues with FZ07 suspension (but most people did) but am having issues with a superior set-up suspension on the Z1k.  At least I'm assuming its a superior set-up.  It should be noted I weigh less than 125lbs with gear.

Engine heat.

The heat coming off of the engine is alarming. Feels like a heater blowing onto both legs. My wife felt it on pillion as well. The temp readout overall reads generally 10 degrees hotter than the fz07 through normal use.

MPG SUUUUCKS.

Even though the tank is 4.5 gallons, I did a first fillup at around 100 miles so yeah, its a no brainer but the MPG sucks.

Seat is hard and uncomfortable.

Takes me 2 hours before the seat hurts my bony ass on the FZ. On the z1k (which I lovingly pronounce as ZEEK) it takes roughly 30 minutes to hurt my butt. Yeesh.

Highway Winds

Ah!  Finally something positive.  On reviews there are reports that the Z1k doesn't blast you with wind on the highway.  I was skeptical but it pretty much turned out to be true.  I have no idea if its the wind-cutting headlight position and design, but the bike has less blast than my FZ WITH  a windscreen.  Wind seems to flow right at the top area of my helmet unlike the FZ without a windscreen that was just knocking my head backwards.

Turn signals

I was disappointed to see how dim the stock turn signals are (when reviewing footage from the wife's helmet cam).  I was even more disappointed to see riding behind my wife as she was on the FZ, that the Barracuda Futuras (installed on the FZ for over a year) are hard to see as well.  In fact, it was worse than the Z1K's stock signal.  Ugh.  Damn tiny LED turn signals... A company seriously needs to make a LARGE/full size turn signal made from LEDs.  And I'm not talking about the Yamaha LEDs that are basically an outline, I'm talking about full size FILLED with LEDs on the entire surface area.

Make fun of the YAMAHA OEM pumpkin signals all you want, but my R3 has stock pumpkins, and I have never had any issues seeing those lit up when riding behind my wife (when she rides the R3).

It is still low on the priority list but not sure what I'm going to do with the signals on the Z1k.

Riding the FZ afterwards

Unfortunately I acclimated to the Z1k really quick.  To the point where the FZ felt underpowered.  It obviously ISN'T underpowered, its just relative.  Now, if I continue to ride the FZ, I will acclimate back to its power, but that's not the case.  I will be riding the Z1k regularly now and passed on the FZ torch to my wife who seems to be enjoying the boost in power.  Actually, it suits her riding style better.  No matter how many times I've tried to show her or teach her that she needed to redline the R3, she just really doesn't want to redline the R3 at all, hence, her acceleration was very slow when she rode the R3- she always short shifted.  She has no problem riding fast (on the freeway I frequently have to ride over 80mph to catch up to her), it was just her acceleration.  But when she is on the FZ, she gets up to speed no problem.  The low powerband is more suited to her instead of the R3's high powerband which she just never reached even after a year of riding it.  And since she doesn't like reaching high revs, it makes sense she is enjoying the FZ much more.  After a bit I'll probably have her stop leading and let her follow behind me instead since she can now catch up.

One last pic of the Z1k with my daughter riding pillion.

pill10.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@skeeterh, thanks for updating your opinions on your Z1K. I enjoy reading them.

SigSide.jpg

I don't want a Z1000. Doesn't matter. I like reading about other peoples bikes and I enjoyed your update. Thank you. If you have anything else to say about your 3 bikes, I'd like to hear it!

• Premium Member

Agree, not a bike for me but I still like reading about it. I don't discriminate against much of anything, especially not motorcycles.

I want another, or new bike - but I'll just live vicariously through your thorough review. The (well, my) FZ won't resale for chit, so I'll keep rollin her along.

Everything went braap.

Archived