The MT-07 Forum

Oil system help! Need to send oil somewhere...

dpc46

I am having problems finding out what the oil pressure is on this bike

Also I would like to know if anyone would know if and where someone could tap into the oil system. I need a sent oil somewhere. I know the return oil will just be tapped into the high side of the oil pan.

Any help would be awesome!

Maybe  put a Tee adaptor were the oil switch is. should have 40psi at 5000 rpm 

Awesome I was hoping it was around 40psi. Where exactly is that oil switch located?

• Premium Member

My curiosity is getting ahold of me

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

If that 40 psi came out of the service manual, then never mind.

But I would have guessed (w/o knowing exactly as stated above) that a motor with plain crank bearings would have pressure closer to 60psi at 5k and maybe 20-ish at idle with a hot motor. It might be as high as 70 + psi with the oil cold.

Should be easy enough to find that sensor - it'll be down low on the side of the motor - likely near the front and close to where the crankshaft is - maybe near the oil pump on the right side. . It'll have one wire plugged onto it's spade lug.

Guest Ralph

It's low on the right front of the motor,
pressure did come from the service book but
I would expect it to be a bit higher especially when cold,
the pressure switch is screws into the mail oil gallery.

It's low on the right front of the motor, pressure did come from the service book but
I would expect it to be a bit higher especially when cold,
the pressure switch is screws into the mail oil gallery.
Mail oil gallery is a pretty common spot for those sensors. That 40 psi is the pressure needed to open the relief valve?  

Guest Ralph

Relief valve opens at 117 psi there is also a bypass valve that opens at 15 psi
I cant find that on the diagrams but it's likely to be a bypass of the oil filter
if the pressure difference across it gets over that, the relief valve being so high
leads me to believe the pressure will be high on cold oil and the pressure will be limited
by volume when the oil is hot, so if that is true you need to be careful how much oil
volume you take off the engine or you could end up with low oil pressure.

Wow, yer right, that's a really high relief pressure. They are basically not regulating the oil pressure at all with a relief valve that high. All 3 of my BMWs of the past (2 Rs and a K) and my Futura were/are all in the 80-ish psi range. When it was cold, my R90/6 would run that sort of pressure at idle!

And yeah, steal oil pressure for something else - especially right at the crank bearings where it matters most, and you might wind up starving the bottom end for pressure - Great point!!!

Where else would I be able to tap into the oil system then? The return oil shouldn't be an issue but looking at the engine cut away diagrams I'm having a hard time spotting a place that would work.

Guest Ralph

Don't matter were you tap in the pump can only pump so much oil,
if it's a turbo the specks will say so much pressure and so much
flow they need a certain amount of flow so the oil does not overheat,
I don,t know about turbo's but you can get engine driven superchargers
with there own self contained oil system for bikes.
Maybe you can get a bigger pump or the org one can cope I cant see
any figurers for flow only pressure.

It's a K03 turbo. So it's not very big at all. I'm having a hard time finding the oil requirements at the moment.

This model of turbo requires oil pressure 1.5bar (22psi) at iddle and 4.5bar (65psi) at WOT Now to find out what the FZ does.

Just had a look in the manual. Instead of pulling out the oil pressure sender to measure pressure, there is a "main gallery bolt" that appears to be just a plug. From the picture, it appears to be a hex cap bolt that's just a bit forward of the water pump and just below the lower pipe going to that WP. As there's pressure there, it'll likely have a crush washer or seal of some sort so should be easy enough to spot.

The specs are a bit vague. That 40.6 psi @5000 RPM and @212F is a minimum pressure. Yamaha is telling us the lowest pressure we should live with w/o doing some surgery. So, w/o a gauge hooked up, it's sorta hard to know what pressure most of these motors actually run.

As for doing the plumbing so as not to rob the crank of pressure or the top end of flow - beyond my pay grade.

The turbo shouldnt "consume" that much oil but who knows for sure without trying. I'll take a look at that hex bolt. I'm going to see if I can track down someone with an pressure gauge and see what it actually produces.

at what point is the system no longer pressurized? Just after the crank?

• Global Moderator
The turbo shouldnt "consume" that much oil but who knows for sure without trying. I'll take a look at that hex bolt. I'm going to see if I can track down someone with an pressure gauge and see what it actually produces.  
at what point is the system no longer pressurized? Just after the crank?
Oil will be pressurized until it reaches its destination?
until the oil reaches open air in the crankcase there is still a small amount of pressure present even if its only 1/2psi
Tapping a main galley will draw more flow to the turbo due to less resistance from tolerances. Crank/cam joiurnals are .09-.25mm high resistance and high pressure drop

typical ball bearing turbos have a 1-3 mm gap between bearing surfaces plus whatever machining tolerances are in the turbine housing itself.

unless you can math out a solution to overcoming this pressure differential and maintaining flow through the primary oil passages, i dont think a turbo can be fed off the stock oil pump

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived