The MT-07 Forum

Gmax GM78 Helmets recalled for safety issue

ShiftHer

I was just browsing some news today and came across this recall on Gmax GM78 helmets. The recall specifies size Medium only, but personally I would be suspicious of all sizes. Frankly, all Gmax helmets. It caught my eye because I was just considering the new Gmax FF88. 

GMAX GM-78 Helmets Recalled, May Not Protect Riders In A Crash (Source: Motorcyclist Online, Feb. 2, 2016)

Gmax is recalling certain GM78 full-face helmets, size medium, manufactured from January 1, 2012, to December 30, 2014. The affected helmets may not adequately protect a user in the event of a crash. As such, these helmets fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 218, "Motorcycle Helmets." 
WHAT COULD HAPPEN: An individual's head may not be fully protected when wearing this helmet, increasing the risk of injury in the event of a crash.

THE FIX: The remedy for this recall is still under development. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact GMAX customer service at 1-208-376-8400.
Just an FYI in case any FZers happen to be wearing this helmet. 

Archived