The MT-07 Forum

I have a general question on motorcycle traction.

duenan

First of all, this is pertaining to dry, optimal conditions.

So as a kid, I drove my dad's supra (it's a car).  I believe its a rear wheel drive.  I redlined that mutha and the back tires lost traction and I fish-tailed all over the place.

And as an older kid, I bought myself a gen 2 MR-2 (a car as well).  Mid engine rear wheel drive.  I rode like an idiot as kids tend to do, once again, I lost traction and my MR-2 spun around in a 360.  Luckily it was at night and barely any traffic, there was a car that was far behind me so he didn't hit me, he instead slowly drove past me giving me the "you're an idiot" glance.

So, talking motorcycles.  Redlining... this isn't particularly for the FZ07 per say since you don't really redline on the FZ07 but can motorcycles easily lose traction the way cars do?  I don't know why, maybe because I'm older or whatever but I frequently redline my other bike and I never worry about losing wheel traction (well, in a straight away at least), but I remember in those cars the back tires got loose REAL QUICK.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

You saying "rode" when talking about cars is the most confusing thing of all time
In my experience, as long as you are in good road conditions & have solid tires it is very difficult to slip.

I lowsided my first bike (2006 CBR 600) because it had just started to rain and I gassed it too much turning left at an intersection. Last year I was on my Yamaha Raider and turned left onto a Highway on ramp. I gassed it again and it was slightly wet and that thing slipped so hard, but luckily I caught that 742lb monster. Last week I was riding my dad's Honda XR650 dual sport and ran over some stupid leaves in the middle of a wet road while accelerating up a hill and it slipped. I think once on my old CBR I tried to gun it in a heavy downpour in a straight line and slipped slightly.

But other than turning with hard acceleration (especially in the wet or on gravel/leaves) or accelerating straight in the wet I have never had any tire slip on me no matter fast I redline. Moto tires are 2sticky

Oh yes, sorry you are right.  In context and if you don't know the car names, it would appear like I was talking about motorcycles at first.  I edited it to make it more clear. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

I've only really slid the rear end on moist pavement, or there was the presence of debris. I.e. leaves, gravel, sand.

I think you would have to be pretty liberal with the throttle, or dump the clutch to really slide around on this bike. It's powerband is pretty linear, so there's not any point where a ton of extra power suddenly kicks in.

In the end it really depends on the bike, throttle, tires and road.

Everything went braap.

twowheeladdict

Well maybe not the FZ-07, but my Concours 1400 (160 HP) had traction control and it kicked in a time or two. Usuallyhappens if you open the throttle too quick and overcome friction with the road.

2015 FZ-07

bmwpowere36m3

Was the supra a turbo? In a straight-line its hard for MOST cars to spin tires… barring dumping the clutch or wet and/or debris on the road. Cars with very abrupt power-bands or LOADS of HP can light them up though. However applying lots of throttle while turning is different… as some of the tire's grip is being used for turning (lateral grip). Whereas in a straight-line all the grip can be used to accel/decel. Look up "friction circle"…

With motorcycles, especially performance ones, the tires are pretty grippy (as compared to standard passenger vehicles). So, likely you'll wheelie (if you have enough HP) before sliding. While turning, its another story… you might run wide, pop a wheelie or slide.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I've never broken traction by acceleration with the FZ. The only time it ever fish tails is when I use too much rear brake.

I used to spin out a lot when I had Nissan 240SX's, but both my FD RX-7 were hard to lose composure on accident. My first FD I spun out maybe 3 times at most and was due to being stupid and trying to drive it like a bat out of hell and the 2nd FD spun out once making a left turn from a stop in the rain (had Sumitomo HTRZ III 295/30-18 rear tires and still lost traction) and once making a right then left on a freeway exit ramp (on a wet road).

SigSide.jpg

Seems like a simple question, but a lot of factors involved. Comparing cars to motorcycles is apples to oranges.
Simple answer,WHEELIE!!!

I'll break the back tire loose on a patch of sand, gravel, or wet for fun with chain drive. I was ffnn around with a high powered bike with a drive shaft on wet road and I almost did a 360 when it broke loose.

Motorcycle tyres are VERY different from car tyres fo a host of reasons.
This link my help. ONly looked through it quickly but seems kosher.
http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/tires.php

However I will add one thing I disagree with. It says the bike manufacturer chooses the right tyre  size and profile for max performance. I have found this to be rubbish is a lot of cases and the MT/FZ is a perfect example. A 70 hp 160kg bike does not need a 180/55. It needs a 160/60. Lighter better turning, better acc. Like every other bike of a similiar weight and power. Why is it there? ENTIRELY for looks. Yamaha spends about a third of it's development money on styling.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Alright thanks for the reply guys. This just has been on my mind for a few years.

Motorboat McGoat

If you throw open the throttle in 2nd or 3rd in the sweet zone while making any standard turn in a city/intersection you can easily slide the back wheel out a little bit, kind of fun on occasion :D

Archived