The MT-07 Forum

Freeway riding

tfountain30

tfountain30

I've only had this bike for a month now and it's my first bike ever so I'm clearly inexperienced. I've only been on the freeway a few times at ~70-80mph but it's almost unbearable. It may be my cheap Bell helmet but I feel like I'm constantly being ripped off the bike and I can barely shoulder check safely.

Do you ever get used to this on a naked bike? I've looked into windscreens (and a better helmet) but the reviews don't sound like they really do much besides redirect the air to your helmet. If it helps I'm about 6'3".

It gets better. I got a sport windscreen and it helps a little. It focuses the wind towards your shoulder and helmet and you don't get that feeling of being pushed off. They also have a touring size if you want to go that route. I ride to work 20 miles each way on the freeway and now that I am used to it I hardly even use my windshield. Just tuck a little forward and I am good to go. Be safe!

I think it will still help you. At least a windscreen will take away the wind resistance on your chest and stomach. I'm 5'7 and still get it on the helmet but I am no longer holding on for dear life at highway speeds. I have the Puig touring. Before the windscreen, I found it difficult to focus on traffic. Not so much anymore. One very windy day, I approached and easily passed this one guy on a Triumph. He tried to hang with me but failed. Poor guy looked like he was skydiving.

twowheeladdict

Here's the dilemma, the taller screen you mount to the handlebars of the bike, the more turbulence is created that can affect handling and head buffeting around vehicles.

The tighter fitting your gear is, the better. You don't see a lot of extra material flapping around or racers. I love my Bell Star Carbon Fiber when riding on the FZ-07.

Also, lean your body more forward to counteract the wind. Find that balance point, and let your core and your legs hold you onto the bike. Your hands should be loose on the controls.

2015 FZ-07

booboobusfz07

The wind blast really is that bad. Faired bikes it's less. You'll get use to it. A screen will help smooth out the wind, won't get rid of it tho.

Windscreen definitely helped when I (finally) got one.  My biggest beef is no chest rest and the vibyness at 80+mph on the FZ07.  I'll see how my new inline-4 1000cc bike feels on the highway at 80mph.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

I'm also 6'3" and agree with everything folks above have said. I purchased the puig rafale windscreen and it's been working ok. But realistically for taller guys like us, if we want to ride in more comfort we need a tall screen. Check out Mad Stad wind screens. Pricey setup, but probably one of the best. Their bracket systems also allow for quick attach/detachment to tailor to your preferences

pineappleunderthesea

You'll get used to it. When I had my Honda Shadow, I decided one fine morning to remove the windscreen. As I hit 70 mph on the highway I almost soiled myself, I thought the wind would throw me off the bike. I had a death grip on the bars and was all tense, not a good thing. I slowly learned to relax, and after a couple months I actually preferred to ride without the screen.

With that said, the FZ begs you to go faster than that Shadow, and you find yourself hitting 80 - 90 quite easily, it's preferable to somewhat tuck a bit at those speeds. But I sit straight at speeds below that and I've gotten used to the wind.

As for a screen, the one on my Shadow would create a buffering effect that shook my head (it was as tall as my chin). A taller screen helped somewhat but looked silly on the bike. You might have to experiment with different screens, unfortunately. I would start with a small screen, those help at higher speeds to get the wind off your chest. If you still feel it's an issue, then try the touring screens.

• Premium Member

Windscreen and everything everyone else mentioned helps.

But there's a big difference in turbulence from one helmet to the other. You may just be at the more turbulent/less stable end of the spectrum.

Of the 3 helmets I've worn:
Icon Airmada - very stable, minimal buffering but can be loud

HTC (basic helmet, forgot the name) - very turbulent, my head got knocked around a fair bit

Biltwell Gringo - pretty stable even at 70 mph, unless there are head or crosswinds present. If the wind is right it can get a little hairy. With a bubble shield it would probably get rid of that, but as it is there's a massive opening in the front. Still, it's been my go to helmet since I picked one up a few months ago.

Everything went braap.

I had the shorter Ermax on my FZ and at 65-70 I'd get too much on my helmet. There were a couple times it almost blurred my vision. Without the windscreen, the wind is less focused and does not appear to bother me. May be better to find an adjustable screen we could tweak the angles.

Guest ChicagoAJ

You'll get used to it. I remember when I started riding a few years ago on my first trip out on a real road when I was 50+mph and I went to make sure there was no one in my blind spot, I went to look and the wind made my helmet feel like I got punched in the head. Now I don't even notice the wind unless I'm doing 90mph or more. Granted I ride pretty quickly almost all the time, after a while 50-60mph will feel like you're just crawling along.

Guest 2wheeler

Being vertically challenged pays off here as I am good up to 80mph, and could go for many miles in the 70-75 zone. Of course a good headwind makes it a bit more interesting. I'm 5'6" with a short torso so I don't get a lot of windblast and I can see the intrument panel just fine. That little ramp that's postioned just above the headlight does an amazing job of acting as a wind dam. You probably need to be short to really appreciate that.

• Premium Member

This bike has terrible wind protection, but this comes with the territory of a naked bike. On the freeway I've been 70mph with 15-20mph wind gusts and it's miserable. Get a wind screen and tuck if at all possible.

High speed around here spells an impound and big fines. I love that I can't ride this bike 100 mph.

Seriously though, I had a strong gust of wind hit me head on doing 70 mph on another naked bike and it almost broke my grip from the bar. There is something to be said for having something to duck behind.

@tfountain30 Haha, I chuckled reading your post. Not at you, but with you :) I forgot about the wind blast. You got me thinking. My last bike was a SV650S with legit clip-ons and a fairing, both from the factory. I was nicely tucked away from the wind. You got me thinking, because I started reading your post and was thinking, "wind blast? what wind blast?" Honestly, I don't even notice anything (probs because of the my low handle bars) unless I'm above 100 and even then, I'm tucked down and it doesn't bother me/I don't even notice it. Last time I was at 130+MPH it didn't bother me because my chin was on the tank. I think the moral of the story is riding position.

How are you sitting? The faster you go, the further you lean into the wind. Not only does it counteract the resistance of the wind, but it gets you lower and reduces your wind resistance profile, and at 80 MPH every inch of profile matters. This is difficult with the stock handle bars as it puts your arms in a weird position. If you don't want to lean forward at all, the only solution is a windscreen or stronger stomach/core muscles.

So you're options are:
1. Big windscreen
2. Hit the gym.
3. Lower riding position the faster you go.

:)

Also, the Woodcraft -1.5" handlebars will position you a little more forward and lower into the wind.
Also, also, not trying to be "cool" but 80 is nothing for me, but 80 with a strong head wind, well, that's a tussle, indeed.
Also, also, also it's just something you'll adapt to, as well.

You'll get used to it. Just wait until you're doing 75 on a country road and a semi passes the other way doing 65. It almost hurts, lol.

Archived