The MT-07 Forum

New 700cc MT/FZ Model Announced in Europe

MeHigh

Hi guys!

I bring you fresh news from Europe regarding our beloved bike.

Even though it is not going to be called MT/FZ-07 Tracer like it`s bigger brother, it is going to be a smaller version of the MT/FJ-09, based on the FZ-07 engine + platform.

Looks lovely! I can`t wait to get some real info on it, prior to it`s official launch (somewhere in July)

Ride Safe!

MT-07 Prospect

Ok, I`ve read everything I could get my eyes on about the new Tracer 700 so far (which is not a lot more added info then the link I posted earlier), and here are my first thoughts:

- for me it`s a much needed upgrade of the MT-07. I`ve been researching left and right on the "touring" (more like 200 mile trips on the highway) capabilities of the MT-07 and so far people say that I am going to be disappointed with it on the stretch roads. And I need to go on the highway quite often, let`s say about 25% of my total miles / year.
- on the other hand, the MT-09 Tracer is reviewed as a "decent" touring bike, but far from perfect. The seat is still not comfortable enough, the screen is close to useless and the bike does not behave very well with a pillion + bags combo.
- the market price for the new Tracer 700 is going to be around 8000 euros. Which, to me, seams a bit high, considering that the price of an ABS MT-07 is 6500 euros. So we will pay 1500 euros for some added plastic, a semi-useless screen, a pair of hand guards (a mediocre wind protection, overall) and +2 liters in tank volume (for a total of 4.5 gallons, which is still small for a touring-wanna-be bike)

So far, it sounds ok, but I am obviously not convinced by the new Tracer 700. The MT-07 still sounds like the better deal.
Maybe (surely) I`m missing something :D

I`m looking forward to the chat I am going to have with my Yamaha dealer on Friday (right after my first Test Ride with the MT-07).

Ride Safe and Happy!

MT-07 Prospect

AlbatrossCafe
The market price for the new Tracer 700 is going to be around 8000 euros. Which, to me, seams a bit high, considering that the price of an ABS MT-07 is 6500 euros. So we will pay 1500 euros for some added plastic, a semi-useless screen, a pair of hand guards (a mediocre wind protection, overall) and +2 liters in tank volume (for a total of 4.5 gallons, which is still small for a touring-wanna-be bike) 
So far, it sounds ok, but I am obviously not convinced by the new Tracer 700. The MT-07 still sounds like the better deal.
Maybe (surely) I`m missing something :D

Haha yeah it really looks like an FZ/MT 07 with just extra fairings & the FZ-09 taillight. I bet you could just order those fairings yourself and mount them on your current FZ-07 for around 1500. Then you will have this new bike without having to trade in. I think you can live without the 5cm longer swingarm and revised suspension. 

I was really hoping that this would be an offroad/dirtroad capable version of the FZ-07. I feel that Yamaha might have kinda dropped the ball on a huge opportunity here.

The KLR 650 by Kawasaki is a dirt capable adventure bike that is as slow as a Vespa with hardly any power at all but it sells like hotcakes and the KLR owners will stand up and fight anyone who disses their beloved bike, such a loyal following that the KLR is a top ten beloved ADV bike.

A year ago I heard that Yamaha was working on an FJ-07. So I went out and bought a ton of FJ07 and FJ-07 domains. I really thought that they would make this a small tenere type of bike because it would destroy the KLR 650 and give Yamaha a huge segway into the deeply needed and desired lightweight adventure bike market. People have been begging for an offroad FZ-07 type of bike and I'm shocked that they instead decided to make this a low cost basic sport touring bike made for the road.

People who go sport touring on longer distances barely think that the FJ-09 is enough engine for the highway and long distance.

So now we get what, an FZ-07 with kind of a fairing in front? Ok. I'll get used to it but I'm not so sure that it is worthy of a new forum, and I'll be real interested in hearing if anyone will be passionate about this bike like they are about the FZ-07. It looks nice, I guess. But again, it's a 75 hp sport touring bike. Maybe it will have better fork internals and maybe it will handle really really well and sell like crazy.

I dunno yet but I am very disappointed that this bike is yet another low priced street bike for the masses. This would have made a great adventure bike to tap into the huge KLR-650 crowd. If this was an adventure bike, the motorcycle internet world would be going crazy right now and I'd have a new forum up and ready by tonight.

Now, not so much..

twowheeladdict

Cruizin, that is how us former KLR owners felt about the Versys 650. They should have made two versions like triumph did with the 800 tiger.

My Versys 650 took me on many tours in the 30,000 miles I owned it. One was 7000 miles and 15 states.
DSCN6982.jpg

DSCN7140.jpg

2015 FZ-07

I was really hoping that this would be an offroad/dirtroad capable version of the FZ-07.  
I really thought that they would make this a small tenere type of bike ...

There is still hope!

@so1102 posted HERE some info about this kind of bike being "under construction", still.  

This future "FJ-07" will be very disappointing to me (and most of the potential clients) if there will be no significant improvements in the rear suspension and seat comfort of the bike compared to the FJ-09.

But the price, idk, doesn`t sound too good for what it`s going to offer!
For the exact same money, 8000 Euro, you can buy the Versys, which, ok, has a more linear (you should read "boring") engine but added comfort for long trips and a potential drop in price once the new Yamaha will hit the market.

MT-07 Prospect

Archived