The MT-07 Forum

Anyone have experience with rebuilding a salvage motorcycle

e30kawi

Anyone on here have any experience with salvage motorcycles? I don't think I can go into too many details about my accident at the moment, but I should be getting my bike back from insurance soon, it was totaled out by them.

I currently have the title in my possession, will it be a rebuilt title if I make the repairs or will it just be as if nothing happened. I live in Texas, anyone have experience getting salvaged bikes back on the road here in Texas. I haven't seen the bike since the accident, but it looks like I need a new head light, instrument panel, and everything on the left side of the bars. Not sure if the forks or frame are still straight but just looking at the photos makes me optimistic.

Any feedback on getting it roadworthy again would be appreciated.
IMG_1188_zpshpeplbmf.jpg

• Global Moderator

To me i looks lile the left fork and lower tree are bent

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Some salvage titles here in South Carolina can be rebuilt others cannot. So it depends on how its classified if the dmv will even accept repairs. If the frame is not mangled then yes it can be rebuilt. It may cost more than a new bike but it should be a le to be done. Just do your homework before putting a lot of work into it.

I know a guys who got a good deal on a wrecked 71 Chevelle SS. He spent about a year rebuilding it and when he went to re title it the dmv said that that title was classified not rebuildable. So he ended up buying a rust bucket that still had an ok vin plate and valid title....

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Yamaha Parts House will be you're friend. I would put it on a pallet or suspend it and take off all the parts you know are broken. And then slowly buy replacement parts and build it back up again. Either that or put the engine in a go cart!

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member
I currently have the title in my possession, will it be a rebuilt title if I make the repairs or will it just be as if nothing happened.

Even if you hold the title, your insurance will probably still report it to the state, which might change its status. You might want to hold off on repairs until the claim is closed. You might want to ask them about it.
And I agree that at least one of the fork tunes looks bent, but maybe it's just the picture. And why have the left side controls been removed?

- Andy

Yamaha Parts House will be you're friend. I would put it on a pallet or suspend it and take off all the parts you know are broken. And then slowly buy replacement parts and build it back up again. Either that or put the engine in a go cart!

Go cart is definitely on the back burner just in case, a buddy of mine works at a speed shop so I'm sure a bad ass cart could be a reality!

I currently have the title in my possession, will it be a rebuilt title if I make the repairs or will it just be as if nothing happened.
Even if you hold the title, your insurance will probably still report it to the state, which might change its status. You might want to hold off on repairs until the claim is closed. You might want to ask them about it. And I agree that at least one of the fork tunes looks bent, but maybe it's just the picture. And why have the left side controls been removed?

The claim should be closed out, I should have the bike soon. The controls on the left were removed by my leg. I'll post some more pictures and details when it is all finished which, should be in a couple weeks.

hachirokutoy

The FZ07 I just purchased is a Salvaged title in CA. Had front end damage but not as bad as yours. Replaced forks, handle bar and nudge the radiator back in place. Drives straight and all is good. Here you have to pass an inspection at the DMV to ride it on the street again and have it registered.

The FZ07 I just purchased is a Salvaged title in CA. Had front end damage but not as bad as yours. Replaced forks, handle bar and nudge the radiator back in place. Drives straight and all is good. Here you have to pass an inspection at the DMV to ride it on the street again and have it registered.

And that's what I'm wondering, is if it needs an inspection and stuff. I was rear ended that totaled out the car, but I kept driving it with no issues, only had the annual inspection we have here done, no questions asked.

hachirokutoy

I would suggest you wait for your insurance to give you back the bike. They should have more information for you on the status of it being salvaged or not. If you purchased the bike back from them as a salvaged vehicle, then they maybe able to give you some info on the process to have it registered in Texas again if needed. If not, check with your local DMV.

I had an incident where someone hit my wife's car and bent the hood. The insurance company deemed it as salvaged and asked us if we wanted to keep it. We said yes and I didn't have to do much. They gave me a partial check for the damages and the DMV here in Cali sent me a new Title and registration that had a "SALVAGED" status on them. I replaced the hood and that was the end of it.

On other occasions, like when buying from an auction site from insurance companies, the Vehicles can come with a Salvaged Certificate, which in CA is yellow instead of the traditional pink. Those you have to repair and have it inspected by a Certified shop for a brake and lights test, and also by the DMV for another inspection so they can deem it worthy of being rideable and registered in the state again. Again that's in California, check with your state DMV for more info.

Archived