The MT-07 Forum

Almost got ended today

yamahappy74

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Man, people....
On my way home from work, I got cut off pretty hard by a woman driving an SUV. She cut over to the carpool/motorcycle lane about 4 car lengths in front of me from a near stop (gridlock during rush hour) and I was doing 70. I tried to slow down but knew that if I hit the brakes any harder it would lock up the front, so I used the shoulder on the left. She wouldn't even look at me. Grrrrr.... Did I ever mention how much I hate trucks and SUVs? I'd wager 90% of the people who drive them have no use for the towing capacity they offer (if any), nor the passenger capacity. I can't see around them, they don't seem to look for anything around them; I think they're worthless and a lot of the drivers act like they own the road. Bah, now I'm just venting....

Damn man I'm glad you made it out safe. It's bad enough that careless jerks like this put your life in danger so they can get home 0.02 seconds faster to jack off, but then they pretend like nothing happened and don't even look you in the eye after. Nice avoid though, it's always good when the only thing you end up is angry.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

All too familiar with that. In the Bay Area in California we have this new two lane express lane and the lane on the right is most dangerous, because people can enter and exit as they please. My brother and I got cut off yesterday and if it weren't for the left first lane, we probably would have had to do a maneuver like you did. Some butt puckering stuff for sure.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Sucks you had to experience that, and I am very glad you made it out OK, but do you think it was a wise idea to be going 70 in a lane next to "near stopped" traffic? Whenever I find myself in the HOV lane like that I slow down even if it is clear in front of me, because I know someone in that left lane going nowhere is going to get impatient and try to get in the HOV lane without paying close attention to traffic coming up from behind. I mean, even dropping it down just 10 or 15mph would have greatly increased your reaction times.

Honestly I'm weary of going even 60 mph in a car on the carpool lane when flanked by standing traffic.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

twowheeladdict

Don't know if what she did was an illegal maneuver, but it doesn't matter if you are dead.

As a rider we have to anticipate these type of maneuvers and act accordingly. Maybe doing 70 when traffic is crawling, and has access to your lane isn't the best idea.
Glad you had the reflexes to take the shoulder.
Now inspect your tires for potential debris you may have picked up from the shoulder.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I got down to about 30 by the time I got the shoulder, and it was pretty clean. Fortunately, it's set up almost as wide as a lane. Not enough for a car, but certainly enough for a motorcycle. I ride like everyone is out to kill me, and this incident is exactly why. That mindset has saved me several times. I'm always looking for the exit in case something happens.

No, it probably wasn't smart to be doing 70 next to standing traffic. I acknowledge that. I got carried away with the nice weather and not having been able to get out for a couple of weeks.

No one is perfect and you're alive. Now inspect your underwear for potential debris that may have exited the log flume escape hatch.  ;)

Beemer

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

LOL! I don't scare easy, even when I should be terrified. My adrenaline didn't even start flowing from that. Just anger.

LOL! I don't scare easy, even when I should be terrified. My adrenaline didn't even start flowing from that. Just anger.
Good to hear that, No time for feelings in the moment, just quick thinking/reacting. The cursing may come afterwards but it's also a relaxed, controlled anger. I don't hold the bird for more than 2 seconds and I only yell "You stupid, tobacco swallowing, inbred f***tard!" once but at a focused, pleasurable level to retain my gentlemanly appearance.  ;)

Beemer

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
Good to hear that, No time for feelings in the moment, just quick thinking/reacting. The cursing may come afterwards but it's also a relaxed, controlled anger. I don't hold the bird for more than 2 seconds and I only yell "You stupid, tobacco swallowing, inbred f***tard!" once but at a focused, pleasurable level to retain my gentlemanly appearance.  ;)
I think one of the reasons I opted to total my R6 rather than fix it is because I had just had a kid at the time and I was pushing it really hard on the bike. No fear. I figured that would end badly at some point. Now I still love to go fast, but it's more reasonable and I don't take unnecessary risks. Well, riding a motorcycle is just that, I suppose, but I need it. It's the one thing that levels me out and makes me feel relaxed again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be rude or mean, just an honest observation...but I tend to really only have my near-misses and any issues on the road with women in SUVs and trucks...

bmwpowere36m3

Well, I had a guy driving a school bus pull out in front of me off a side street... litteraly looked in my direction and just pulled out.

Oh yea definitely, everyone on the road is a potential danger and I've had a few close calls with males in other types of vehicles as well, but most of my incidents are women in big vehicles. I had one older man pull out in front of me on a scooter. I let him for a little while, but it was a scooter so he was slow. I started to pass him, watched him look in his mirrors as he moved into the lane position directly in front of me. I had to move into the oncoming traffic to dodge it (there was no traffic coming at the time)

Archived