The MT-07 Forum

Vroom Vroom From Indy

gtr986

What's up, gang?  Funny story how I ended up with my FZ-07.  I took a rider class this time last year, and got the endorsement added to my license right away.  Decided against purchasing anything last year, but looked at several bikes, mostly cruisers.  Pretty much had my eyes on a Triumph Speedmaster since that time.  We are currently building a new house, so not a lot of extra dough floating around.  I'd been slowing building a fund since just after Christmas, selling old 'toys' here and there.  I was hoping to have enough to grab a Speedmaster before Summer's end.  Then, back in July, I was browsing a website and an ad popped up about the FZ-07.  I was familiar with the 09, but I had not heard of the 07.  So, starting digging a little and started to like what I was reading.  Also went to YouTube and watched several reviews on the European version.  I had always been partial to cruisers, but this thing was really grabbing my attention, especially as a new rider in search of his first bike.  In mid-July, I called the three local Yamaha dealers, and all of them were like, 'uh, we have NO idea when we'll be getting one'.  Made one more call to the next closest dealer, ~25 miles away.  They said 'yeah, actually, we just got one in.  It's the one with blue wheels.'  Great!  Liquid graphite would be my #1 choice, followed by white.  So, took an extended lunch and made the trip to check it out.  Really, really liked what I saw, and it was comfortable for my 5' 8" frame.  Bonus points for less weight, less $$ and more hp as compared to what I thought I had my heart set on.  I left without it, but knew I had found my bike.  Spent the next few weeks reading/watching more about it, and it just continued to drive that point home.  Found myself back up that way on July 31 with a buddy who wanted to check out the dealer, so we stopped in.  They had a giant sign out front 'ALL BIKES ON SALE'.  I didn't think much of it because from what I'd read, the 07's weren't staying on the floor long anyhow.  Looked over to the corner as we walked in and the Liquid Graphite FZ-07 was still sitting there.  The sales staff remembered me and said they had finally moved it off the show floor and had just had it prepped in anticipation of the 'sale'.  They also informed me that no one had ridden it.  It had 2 miles on the odometer.  The offered up a test ride.  I was a little hesitant since I hadn't been on a bike since the rider class, but I took the opportunity.  I accidentally wheelied out of the parking lot and about dropped a load in my shorts.  Torquey little sucker.  Took it for about a 6-7 mile ride on a highway and through country roads.  I loved it!  Got back to the shop and they joked with me about the wheelie.  I asked how much, and they came back with $73xx.xx OTD.  I was thinking anything under $7500 and I'd pull the trigger.  However, I walked out without it so that I could discuss it with the wife.  Received her blessing that night and contacted the dealer next morning, 8/1.  Signed, sealed, delivered by 1pm.  Considering what I've read about pricing and availability, I feel lucky to have this in my garage right now, and this 43yr old is having a ball!

Cool story man! Congrats. You're definitely lucky! I've been waiting on mine for like 2 weeks and they still don't have it in yet. 7300 OTD is a really good deal too. My dealer wouldn't go any lower that 7600 OTD.

• Premium Member

Great story! I did my MSF in June and had been looking at bikes for a few months and also decided on a Triumph Speedmaster. I almost bought one through Craigslist but something stopped me.
Then I discovered the FZ-07 and totally changed my mind. My difference is actually getting hold of one. My local dealer had the liquid graphite first and sold it immediately before I got there, then got a red and white one but I'm holding out for the graphite. Been waiting about a month now and it's driving me crazy. I just turned 45 and it'll be my first bike. I've had about 25 cars but never been this on edge waiting for one!

Lots of "older" riders here, I am 48, and there are others...you guys will love this bike. It is very easy to ride, just don't yank the throttle in 1st - 3rd, unless you wanna pucker moment

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome gtr986! From your story it sounds like this was def meant to be. But wow, from the rider class to a sales lot wheelie! Glad you found our little group and hope you'll stick around.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Archived