The MT-07 Forum

looking to buy a fz07

gomeybear

hello all I am new to the forum and have been looking to pick up an FZ 07 as a second bike after selling my ninja 300 (the bike I started on but later bought a daytona 675).  My girlfriend took so much interest in riding motorcycles that she took the MSF class and also started riding the ninja 300 (didn't let her ride the daytona 675 as see is kinda short at 5-4 and couldn't barely foot the bike not to mention her throttle control gets sloppy from time to time so does mine but I wont tell her that).  The daytona seat height is 820 mm or about 32.2 inches, I plan on letting her ride the fz 07 but I am slightly concerned that she will have trouble footing it at a 31.7 inch seat height as compared to the ninja 300's 30.9 inches.  How do you all feel about the seat height on the fz07? Is it lower than its actual height being that the seat is thinner in the front?

• Premium Member

Welcome!

I think the perception of seat height is all in the mind. Don't get me wrong, there are bikes that are physically limiting for me to even put a toe down on a bike, but your 657 shouldn't be an issue as well as an FZ07 for someone who's 5'4". Flat footing the bike is a rare occurrence for people our height unless some lowering link, suspension, shaving seats, taller boots, etc. are had on sport bikes.

Coming from two women who are 5'2" and 5'3" we make it work by putting one foot up and using the other to balance on the balls/toes of our feet.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

At least as important as seat height is seat width. The FZ-07 is quite narrow at the front, which makes all the difference to my 60 year old hips. By contrast I sold the Triumph Scrambler because of the very wide stock seat, unworkable even with a lower height. By the time I replaced with something better I'd already fallen in love with the Yamaha.

You don't have to sit on the bike with both feet planted at the same time. If you sit with one foot on the peg you can lean the bike to the other side with a foot down, completely, to have good support. It shouldn't be too top heavy for that and it will give the ol' crotch some relief from less pressure/stretching there, guaranteed, or my name isn't happy crotch!  ;)

Beemer

I've seen a shorter person handle a 2007 R6 and I think that seat height is 33". It's all in the skill of handling a bike. The whole flat foot thing is more of a confident feeling when you don't know how to handle a particular bike. Once you get some seat time, just like anything else, you learn to adapt and handle it better. Your GF well do just fine on a FZ07, she would be able to even handle a GSXR 750.

Greatness

I'm 5"3 and manage perfectly fine on my FZ07. I ride wearing some original Doc Martens. Sole thickness helps. But it's no big deal when I'm wearing flip flops either (worn only when moving bike around my driveway). Your girlfriend will be fine! 

You got to sit on the bikes, the seat height numbers are almost useless due to seat variations and peg locations. Better footing isn't just confidence, it's straight up more convenient around town, and when backing up, etc.

• Premium Member

I ignore the seat height numbers and ergonomic numbers... I only care about how it feels when I'm actually on the bike... Before you know it your only using the right foot to hold the bike up at a stop light while the left foot is still resting on foot rest...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived