The MT-07 Forum

2016 fz07 spools

howser

I'm running into a real headache with the FZ07 not coming with spools. There are some outthere but you have to drill into the swing arm or you can get the kind that go thru the rim but will not be able to adjust the chain later on. My question is..."do I need to have my rear tire off the ground in order to adjust the chain"?

@howser Why not just get a rear stand with swingarm lifts instead of spools? That what I use and I'm sure most do too. Picks up the bike evenly on both sides with an L shaped plate that jacks it up like a car. Hope it helps! I don't think you need to have the rear wheel off the floor to do chain maintenance. But I'll tell you it makes things wayyy easier with a stand!

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Premium Member

I adjusted mine with no rear arm arm dolly... There are some spool styles that clamp on to the swing arm....some rear stands have lil universal feet pads to pick up bike...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

According to the manual you can adjust the chain slack with the bike on its side stand with no weight on the bike (i.e. no sitting on the bike). Of course having it on a stand with spools does make adjusting the slack easier along with other maintenance like cleaning the chain, removing the rear tire, etc.

If you want spools that won't be a hindrance there are 2 options that I know of. One is a set of spools that clamp around the swing arm so there is no drilling. They are from T-Rex Racing  here. The other are a set from Gilles Tooling and they replace the OEM chain adjusters with ones that have spools on them. You can get them from your local Yamaha dealer. Here is what they look like and the Yamaha part number (1WS-F21D0-V0-00). I have the Gilles and I really like them, but they are $$$

The other option is if you have a Pitbull rear stand set up for spools then you can get these adapter plates to lift up the bike from the bottom of the swing arm. If you have a standard rear stand these should be the correct ones. If you have a forward handle rear stand then these should be the correct ones.

I'm using a rear stand that lifts by the swing arms, but I think it would be quicker to lift by spools, so I'm kicking around buying some of these:

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe not the Hong Kong version, but something like them.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

bmwpowere36m3

Either buy spools... Yamaha/Gilles, Graves, T-Rex or a swingarm lift stand (pads). That said, you don't have to lift the rear to adjust the chain. It sure makes cleaning, oil and adjusting in the future much easier.

I went with the Yamaha/Gilles chain adjuster/spool adapter.

Don't know what I was thinking.  I already have spools mounted in the rear.  They came with my OES slider kit:

FZ07_Full_Kit3-600x408.jpg

Not particularly handy when I need to adjust the chain, but I only did that once at the 600 mile mark, and haven't needed to again, after 2,000 more miles.  No big deal to remove them anyway.

Shoot, all I need to do is swap some optional spool lifts in place of the paddle lifts:

SMI3001-S-2T.jpg?1382101477

I use both venom stands every time I wash the bike and lube the chain.  Should only take a couple minutes more to swap the spool lifts for the paddles, and remove the slider/ spools if I have to adjust the chain or remove the rear wheel.

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

I find the biggest issue with swingarm pad liftstands is the FZ07 will not be 100% straight. There will be a tilt. At least that's how it is for me.

I have both a pitbull spool stand and a venom swingarm stand. I reinstalled OES rear spools (had them off for over a year) and will use pitbull stand. If ever I need to retighten my chain or remove rear tires, I will remove OES spools and use venom stand.

That's how I solved my issue with the spools.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

"...biggest issue with swingarm pad liftstands is the FZ07 will not be 100% straight."

Yeah, that's the problem.  They slide along the arm when I try to lift it.  That's the only hitch, but I'd be pissed if I tipped the bike over wrestling with it.  Not so tough if you're on a nice level area, but that ain't my dilapidated driveway!

• Premium Member

Or, get these (T-Rex). I only put them on when I need them... there's a thread here where they were discussed... maybe one I started; I don't recall.  I have had no issues with them.

All the best.

If you are willing to do the work, this is what we did with the proddy bikes we raced most of which had a steel swingarm and no spool mounts standard. Drilling holes through a swingarm is not a great way to go UNLESS you weld a compression tube in the holes on both sides of the swingarm. Then it is the best way to go.
Remove the swingarm.
Find a good spot on both sides of the BOTTOM of the swingarm where havings the trackstand won't interfere with any work you wish to do ( eg removing the wheel, chain tensioning etc).
Measure both sides accurately. You would be surprised how small a difference in distance it takes to end up with a tiltes bike.
get 2 THICK steel tubes to act as the through points very slightly longer than the width of the swingarm ( 2or 3mm inside and 8-10mm to the outside) at the point you are mounting the spools. 8 or 10 mm hole ( depending on the spool bolt).
Clean the paint off the bottom of the swingarm.
Put a rod through the 2 tubes so they are aligned and clamp or tape the spool tube in place and weld in place.
Repaint.
Attach the spools.

The 07 swingarm botton is flat across so it will work easy enough. REMEMBER the 07 swingarm is very thin. Care will be need when welding.
Pretty much what most of us did.

A simpler method is to weld a bolt with the head stuck out about 20mm ( the buckets did that a lot), but it is not the most elegant solution.

Here is a pic of the ones I am currently installing on a GS500f I used square section stainless instead of round as it is less likely to get weld deformation on the inside where the spool bolt goes.
P4270041.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 4 weeks later...
Simbadc650

Went with what ever was not sold out on revzilla!!! Never used the front only the backs so far but love them period, extra crash protection

bellissimoto
If you want spools that won't be a hindrance there are 2 options that I know of. One is a set of spools that clamp around the swing arm so there is no drilling. They are from T-Rex Racing  here. The other are a set from Gilles Tooling and they replace the OEM chain adjusters with ones that have spools on them. You can get them from your local Yamaha dealer. Here is what they look like and the Yamaha part number (1WS-F21D0-V0-00). I have the Gilles and I really like them, but they are $$$ 

Did someone say Gilles?  LoL!  As the premier Gilles Tooling Distributor in the US, we can get them direct from Gilles Tooling for a significant cost savings.  The difference between these and the ones available as a Yamaha accessory?  Lower cost and choice of Black or Black/Red :)

Our new website isn't public yet, but I'll give you a sneak preview of what I've been working on since I've been tasked with integrating the entire Gilles Tooling catalog into our new website :)

I can most likely give you a discount as well if you're interested.

Check them out here

:)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Did someone say Gilles?  LoL!  As the premier Gilles Tooling Distributor in the US, we can get them direct from Gilles Tooling for a significant cost savings.  The difference between these and the ones available as a Yamaha accessory?  Lower cost and choice of Black or Black/Red :) 
Our new website isn't public yet, but I'll give you a sneak preview of what I've been working on since I've been tasked with integrating the entire Gilles Tooling catalog into our new website :)

I can most likely give you a discount as well if you're interested.

Check them out here

:)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Hook me up, Paul! Got photos? Not sure which color I'd want for my white FZ.

Archived