The MT-07 Forum

Need a little more noise

tex45acp

Hi,
I'm new to the Forum and was looking for some friendly advice.  I recently purchased a 2016 FZ-07 so I can ride with my son and have some fun on my own.  I am not looking for increased HP etc.  I really want to just hear my exhaust with a helmet on.  I have actually stalled my bike at lights twice in 500 miles from not being able to hear the engine.  Safety is my real concern, just wanting others to hear me.  What is the most economical way to increase the decibels without getting into fuel mapping changes and things that may have an adverse affect on my engine.  I don't want to drill holes in my factory exhaust.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tex

topazsparrow

Akrapovic titanium and Carbon both work with the stock tune - no reflash necessary so long as you keep the baffles in.

IMO if you intend to give your son a ride a lot, you should just get the Akra titanium and keep the baffles in.

I seriously would not want to expose my children to the ear deafening sounds of all other after market exhausts for the FZ07. Unless you can somehow properly insert earplugs into their ears (assuming he's a little kid and not a teen or something) without a hassle on the kid.

The Akrapovic titanium gives a nice bump in sound without going overboard.  Unfortunately it is one of the most expensive exhausts out there.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

booboobusfz07

Leovince with baffle is also pretty reasonable. Just loud enough to hear the exhaust cruising on the freeway it disappears if you aren't on the throttle or decel
Also if you order through omnia racing it's only like 550$ alot cheaper than the arkra that everyone fan boys over..

IMO if you intend to give your son a ride a lot, you should just get the Akra titanium and keep the baffles in.  
I seriously would not want to expose my children to the ear deafening sounds of all other after market exhausts for the FZ07. Unless you can somehow properly insert earplugs into their ears (assuming he's a little kid and not a teen or something) without a hassle on the kid.

The Akrapovic titanium gives a nice bump in sound without going overboard.  Unfortunately it is one of the most expensive exhausts out there.

I need to clarify...I am 53 yrs old my son is 32. He has a Triumph Street Triple. I just want a little noise to let others know I'm around. My FZ-07 is so quiet, my brother said it sounds like a ride around the farm 4 wheeler. I have to agree with him.

Oh then the world is your oyster!

Its now a matter of aesthetics and cost now.

Theoretically any aftermarket you get will not need a reflash/fuel controller. But any aftermarket exhaust you put on will cause a lean(er) state than the stock and thus will make your engine run hotter and in the long, long run, will cause your engine to wear out faster.

Many people on here ride with aftermarkets and baffle removed without getting a reflash/fuel controller. Will it be in your best interest to remap the fuel? Yes. But really, its up to you.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Akrapovic titanium and Carbon both work with the stock tune - no reflash necessary so long as you keep the baffles in.
Thanks for your reply!  Are you talking about a full exhaust or a slip on?  Sorry for my newbie-ness...but what does reflash mean? 

topazsparrow
Thanks for your reply!  Are you talking about a full exhaust or a slip on?  Sorry for my newbie-ness...but what does reflash mean?
Akra doesn't make a slip on as far as I know. But, yea the full exhaust. 
They're both really nice systems just on the pricey side.

twowheeladdict

Have you been out of riding for a while. The consensus in the industry is that being seen is way more important than being louder. The majority of Car/bike interactions occur when the car turns left in front of the bike. For that person to hear you, your exhaust would have to point forward and be very loud.

On the other hand, Hi Vis riding gear, and LED lights added to the front of the bike will help others see you.

Remember, they give out licenses to deaf people, not blind people. People are so isolated in their cars today that thinking they are going to hear you is a false sense of security.

Now, if you just want loud pipes because you enjoy making noise, but need a way to justify the expense to your wife, then ignore everything I wrote above. :)

2015 FZ-07

Archived